The Celtic All Seasons thread

4 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I just watched McGregor's press conference to see if he would be fit for the National Team and I have to say fair play to the guy. He's clearly Celtic through and through and Celtic have both a great player and great person on their hands.

Not to put the cat amongst the pigeons but he was a Rangers fan growing up, as is his family. I am sure that is why he was being referred to as 'Agent McGregor' when he realised a lifetime ambition by scoring a winner for the team in blue in an Old Firm derby.

Just now, IggyStooge said:

Not to put the cat amongst the pigeons but he was a Rangers fan growing up, as is his family. I am sure that is why he was being referred to as 'Agent McGregor' when he realised a lifetime ambition by scoring a winner for the team in blue in an Old Firm derby.

haha, no way - I did not know that. Doesn't bother me as I'm not a Celtic fan but interesting nonetheless!

Wee bit disappointed in McGregor if he genuinely plans on playing his whole career in Scotland.  He should have kicked on far more than he has, and has stagnated staying in the Premiership. He has the ability to play in the EPL, and think that would bring his game on a lot.  Either he's happy coasting through games up here, or it's a deal to give him a big pay rise for a year or two and maximise the fee Celtic get when he gets sold to a middling English top league side.

20 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Wee bit disappointed in McGregor if he genuinely plans on playing his whole career in Scotland.  He should have kicked on far more than he has, and has stagnated staying in the Premiership. He has the ability to play in the EPL, and think that would bring his game on a lot.  Either he's happy coasting through games up here, or it's a deal to give him a big pay rise for a year or two and maximise the fee Celtic get when he gets sold to a middling English top league side.

McGregor doesn’t ‘coast’ through any games up here. He’s usually top for distance covered in games, I find it amusing that playing 2 games constantly every week as captain where you are expected to win 90 odd% of your games is ‘coasting’ but joining some middling team like Southampton is really proving yourself. They are both very challenging albeit for different reasons.

2 hours ago, gannonball said:

McGregor doesn’t ‘coast’ through any games up here. He’s usually top for distance covered in games, I find it amusing that playing 2 games constantly every week as captain where you are expected to win 90 odd% of your games is ‘coasting’ but joining some middling team like Southampton is really proving yourself. They are both very challenging albeit for different reasons.

Playing for a team with vastly greater resources and superior players than all but one other side in the country with the expectation that you win most games 5-0 is not challenging yourself. (Ignore the past 12 months of Celtic struggles, but certainly the case for the majority of his career).

If you think playing Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Leicester, Tottenham, Everton etc etc week in week out is not going to improve a player more than playing against Ross county, st Mirren, Dundee, Livingston, Dundee United, Aberdeen etc than fair enough.

Agree with velo as well, one of the top foreign leagues would also be good for him, just not heard of interest from abroad so only mentioned a move to the epl.

Here's a strange thought, maybe Callum McGregor is just happy where he is and has no desire to uproot/move away from his family?  He's the captain of a very big club, playing in Europe, a regular for his country, and I'm sure he is being paid very handsomely to do so.

As @gannonball mentioned above, moving to the likes of Southampton and chasing yer tail against the likes of Man City & Liverpool, as they stick five past you twice a season, what is he really gaining? Does anyone really have a great more respect for Stuart Armstrong, for example, than they did three years ago?

I know when both Norwich & Celtic were in for David Turnbull, he made it clear to MFC that he had no desire to move away from home at that point in his career, hence he wanted to go to Celtic and a deal was put in place very quickly for the deal to happen a year later once his injury was discovered. 

Football is their career, it doesn't need to be their life. 

33 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Playing for a team with vastly greater resources and superior players than all but one other side in the country with the expectation that you win most games 5-0 is not challenging yourself. (Ignore the past 12 months of Celtic struggles, but certainly the case for the majority of his career).

If you think playing Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Leicester, Tottenham, Everton etc etc week in week out is not going to improve a player more than playing against Ross county, st Mirren, Dundee, Livingston, Dundee United, Aberdeen etc than fair enough.

Agree with velo as well, one of the top foreign leagues would also be good for him, just not heard of interest from abroad so only mentioned a move to the epl.

There has never been a bid for McGregor so he’s never had the opportunity to move so you can’t blame him for that.

As somebody said, he’s maybe happy living in Scotland and content with life so he probably won’t leave Celtic.

He did play for Notts County for a season and maybe didn’t enjoy being away from home. He’s also single with no family so maybe doesn’t fancy living away from Glasgow on his own.

He seems like a private guy though so let’s just leave him be.

I've had a quick look to see if this has been mentioned anywhere else, but can't see it.

I have a neighbour who is a taxi driver, so you know.. this is taxi driver source material - bear that in mind, who was telling me that the incident that happened on Crow Road the other day has a connection to Celtic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-58539796

He was far more explicit as to the details, but for all the obvious reasons I'm not going to expand on here.

Posting as a "heads up", as it were, merely passing on what I was told (well part of it) and making no judgement or accusations.

Edited by Ric

4 minutes ago, Ric said:

I've had a quick look to see if this has been mentioned anywhere else, but can't see it.

I have a neighbour who is a taxi driver, so you know.. this is taxi driver source material - bear that in mind, who was telling me that the incident that happened on Crow Road the other day has a connection to Celtic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-58539796

He was far more explicit as to the details, but for all the obvious reasons I'm not going to expand on here.

Posting as a "heads up", as it were, merely passing on what I was told (well part of it) and making no judgement or accusations.

It was mentioned a few days after it happened along with the players name. Not much more detail than that though.

Just now, Merkland Red said:

It was mentioned a few days after it happened along with the players name. Not much more detail than that though.

Ah, right. You can understand my cageyness about bringing the subject up, considering the context.

I know a little more than that, but I'm guessing if my taxi-driving neighbour knows, then I expect the whole "Glasgow taxi network" will have informed most of the population by the end of the day!

8 minutes ago, Ric said:

Ah, right. You can understand my cageyness about bringing the subject up, considering the context.

I know a little more than that, but I'm guessing if my taxi-driving neighbour knows, then I expect the whole "Glasgow taxi network" will have informed most of the population by the end of the day!

Always best to err on the side of caution with these things!

3 hours ago, Ric said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/16129873/celtic-ciaran-dickson-glasgow-hit-run-aidan-pilkington/

It was on the front page of The Sun weeks ago.

Edited by Detournement

22 minutes ago, AJF said:

His initial, and probably valid, comments aside, who has declared a league champion in September that he is referring to?

There have been a few pundits essentially saying Celtic arent strong enough to mount a sustained challenge. Craig Levein and Kris Commons are 2 that spring to mind that have made comments recently