The Celtic All Seasons thread

1 hour ago, Jinky67 said:

Yeah some of the media are starting to backtrack a little. I saw Stephen McGowan also apologise to fans for calling them entitled when they started protesting last season and now suggesting they maybe weren’t angry enough.

The Celtic fans I know well enough who have some form of neural activity were mostly strongly against NL being reappointed. 

It was the uh, less academic ones who were taken in by the pyoorsellikman schtick.

I'd imagine this is not a surprise to anyone.

Edited by Ranaldo Bairn

10 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

The annual James McCarthy rumours surfacing and seem to be gathering some momentum now he’s he’s available on a free,

I’d normally be against this one but Soro isn’t the answer in that position and McCarthy seems to be never off the treatment table but with the way things are going

Gary Cahill also just left Palace on a free 🤔

Yeah because of his injury record its a no for me.  Would rather invest in somebody younger like Ferguson and has a bit more dig about them. Doubt the board would pay the money he would go for though. 
Cahill for a year would be decent for me, likes of Murray and Welsh would do well fo learn off him too.

9 hours ago, bennett said:

Rumours that celtic have banned the bbc are doing the rounds on Twitter. 

Hoping this isn’t true, absolute orc patter.

On 31/07/2021 at 14:02, gannonball said:

This Is all a bit miss leading we run at a profit more often than not, we run at a player trading surplus more often than not. We are also are due 20 million from our own sales too. We have generally been spending within our means but its the penny wise pound foolish attitude that has fucked us over for champions league qualifying by not getting players in sooner.

Basically dragging our heels over a few hundred grand or trying to get by with what we have then kissing goodbye to tens of millions in the process. That for me lies with the board who thought they had enough to keep out of sight domestically and anything after that was seen as a bonus rather than an actual ambition.

No guarantee of winning a 90 minute game of football,investing 20 million into a squad to make 30 million in a competition we can't win.
The speculate to accumulate factor has no relevance,Celtic make money in European football every year because we don't budget for it.
Selling a player for 20 million is a more successful way than relying on the team getting through in to the champions league.
Now after years of building the coefficient that has changed winning the league gets the place so for me the signing policy of Celtic needs to change this is the biggest transition. 

We have consistently gone into european qualifyers for the last so many years without a settled back 4. In europe especially for teams from smaller nations not having a settled defence with good experience of playing together those teams always struggle in europe

The teams from smaller nations who do well 9 times out of 10 they have a core squad who have played together for some time

1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

No guarantee of winning a 90 minute game of football,investing 20 million into a squad to make 30 million in a competition we can't win.
The speculate to accumulate factor has no relevance,Celtic make money in European football every year because we don't budget for it.
Selling a player for 20 million is a more successful way than relying on the team getting through in to the champions league.
Now after years of building the coefficient that has changed winning the league gets the place so for me the signing policy of Celtic needs to change this is the biggest transition. 

Im not asking Celtic to spend 20 million, just having the foresight that a player is going to leave in a transfer window or 2 and to have contingency’s in place so we aren’t left without a fit player for that position. As an example Its obvious players like Tierney aren’t going to be around forever yet we nearly fucked our main asset by not at least getting our replacement in early, settle , learn off him and step in when required rather than running Tierney in to the ground.

We have also played a few champions league qualifiers now without a striker, it’s utterly baffling Im not asking for a wod of cash to be spent just to have a fit player for each position when attempting to qualify.

7 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Im not asking Celtic to spend 20 million, just having the foresight that a player is going to leave in a transfer window or 2 and to have contingency’s in place so we aren’t left without a fit player for that position. As an example Its obvious players like Tierney aren’t going to be around forever yet we nearly fucked our main asset by not at least getting our replacement in early, settle , learn off him and step in when required rather than running Tierney in to the ground.

We have also played a few champions league qualifiers now without a striker, it’s utterly baffling Im not asking for a wod of cash to be spent just to have a fit player for each position when attempting to qualify.

You also have to ask yourself why we haven’t had a player come through from the youth team since Tierney that have made the grade or looked even close to it

We have some of the best facilities in Britain so why can’t we produce our own players?

I think some of that about young players coming through isnt that we dont have young players good enough but we have sacrificed the long term future to short term outlook and we dont play young players enough over a season. League cups, winning by 2 or 3 goals with 20 minutes left etc etc

When do we play the young players? and we also seem to expect them to start playing and to not make mistakes. Id expect every young player to make mistakes thats how they learn but seems we dont want to give them that support that mistakes will happen but we will keep on playing you.

I feel like we have ruined a few decent players by the lack of game time we gave them and the game time we did give them was 10 minutes here, 5 minutes there with no logic and massive gaps between

Edited by BigDoddyKane

10 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Tierney is a bad example but I take your point,Celtic have the ability to have a 4-5 million player in every position in the team that may guarantee success domestically but not for Europe.bringing in loan players stops the development of a youth player and has also kicked the can down the road for buying players.
Having a contingency plan in place when the player has all the power is very difficult eg, frimpong.

7 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Tierney is a bad example but I take your point,Celtic have the ability to have a 4-5 million player in every position in the team that may guarantee success domestically but not for Europe.bringing in loan players stops the development of a youth player and has also kicked the can down the road for buying players.
Having a contingency plan in place when the player has all the power is very difficult eg, frimpong.

We have had over 6 months now to replace Frimpong, it’s  absolutely shambolic.

19 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

You also have to ask yourself why we haven’t had a player come through from the youth team since Tierney that have made the grade or looked even close to it

We have some of the best facilities in Britain so why can’t we produce our own players?

11 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:

I think some of that about young players coming through isnt that we dont have young players good enough but we have sacrificed the long term future to short term outlook and we dont play young players enough over a season. League cups, winning by 2 or 3 goals with 20 minutes left etc etc

When do we play the young players? and we also seem to expect them to start playing and to not make mistakes. Id expect every young player to make mistakes thats how they learn but seems we dont want to give them that support that mistakes will happen but we will keep on playing you.

I feel like we have ruined a few decent players by the lack of game time we gave them and the game time we did give them was 10 minutes here, 5 minutes there with no logic and massive gaps between

we had a great opportunity to give youth game time (and aid us for these qualifiers) by playing them once we finally huckled Lennon but we stuck with loanees and players that were/are leaving.

9 hours ago, BigDoddyKane said:

How about loaning them out!

3 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I absolutely despise the c**t. Can only assume the million is for Tottenham to pay him off.

You've been robbed even paying that. He's never played a league game for them. Apparently hasn't played a league game for anyone since December 2018.