The Celtic All Seasons thread

30 minutes ago, Empty It said:

It's amazing how blinkered some people are as to how mediocre a player Brown was. Had something about him at Hibs then decided to go to Celtic and stagnate instead of push himself.

Yeah he got a load of international caps, an unprecedented amount of trophies, captained the biggest club in Scotland for a decade, topped champions league stats but did he REALLY prove himself by going to some EPL yo yo team?

I dunno lads, maybe the reason Scott Brown had the most interceptions in the Champions League in 2016/17 is because opposition teams were pouring forward every other minute? idk

6 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

2681CBD4-708C-4F0A-94D7-161C79C99AEA.gif

Im not even too sure what Im supposed to be angry about? That people’s opinions of player pushing themselves is different to mine? He made his mark at international level and Europe I don't see how going to some lower end EPL club would prove much more. 

1 minute ago, gannonball said:

Im not even too sure what Im supposed to be angry about? That people’s opinions of player pushing themselves is different to mine? He made his mark at international level and Europe I don't see how going to some lower end EPL club would prove much more. 

Maybe because the standard of football is significantly higher in the EPL?

I don’t think anybody would suggest Brown was a bad player (he is now), but he never challenged himself or took that next step in his development to challenge himself.

And that’s fine, I just think people are using that fact to add more weight to the Davis > Brown argument on the basis that Davis done well down south as well as in Scotland, Internationally and in Europe.

4 minutes ago, AJF said:

Maybe because the standard of football is significantly higher in the EPL?

I don’t think anybody would suggest Brown was a bad player (he is now), but he never challenged himself or took that next step in his development to challenge himself.

And that’s fine, I just think people are using that fact to add more weight to the Davis > Brown argument on the basis that Davis done well down south as well as in Scotland, Internationally and in Europe.

Significantly higher than the Champions league? Absolutely Not for me. I would probably hold it in the same regard as the Europa tbh. I get why people will ask why he never pursued a move elsewhere though. 

As for the Brown/Davis argument I have stayed away from it, both quite different players who have been excellent in Scottish football, I don't see the need to belittle either. 

3 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Significantly higher than the Champions league? Absolutely Not for me. I would probably hold it in the same regard as the Europa tbh. I get why people will ask why he never pursued a move elsewhere though. 

As for the Brown/Davis argument I have stayed away from it, both quite different players who have been excellent in Scottish football, I don't see the need to belittle either. 

I meant the EPL was a significantly higher standard than in Scotland.

45 minutes ago, gannonball said:

In my opinion he was poor at International level and I can’t say I was overly impressed with him in the Champions League although he did get the chance to play at that level.

We’ll never know about a top 5 league as there was never the opportunity for him to go to one.

He’s proved over his career to be a very good Scottish Premiership player and that’s a fact nobody can argue with.

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

Yeah he got a load of international caps, an unprecedented amount of trophies, captained the biggest club in Scotland for a decade, topped champions league stats but did he REALLY prove himself by going to some EPL yo yo team?

Steven Davis wasn’t at premiership yo-yo team . He played for a Southampton team who regularly finished in the top half when he was there and made cup final or two along the way . 

19 minutes ago, Forever_blueco said:

Steven Davis wasn’t at premiership yo-yo team . He played for a Southampton team who regularly finished in the top half when he was there and made cup final or two along the way . 

I wasn't having a dig at Davis, but that would have been the sort of club for Brown from celtic should he have chased it.

Edited by gannonball

What’s with all this “top 5 leagues” stuff?

Surely we’re one of them along with the Championship and Leagues One and Two, what’s the 5th one?
Lowland? Highland? Women’s?

f**k me the amount of people beside themselves them trying to belittle Browns achievements is hilarious.

Like it or not history remembers accomplishments and Brown has significantly more of them and has a piece of history unlikely to be repeated by any other captain of a Scottish side.

Davis may have played in the premier league but won f**k all in doing so and again players play the game to win trophies and honours so I’m pretty sure there is only one thing Davis has that Brown should be envious of and that’s this years League trophy. 

And Davis is a really good player, he has had a significant impact on Rangers revival and arguably the best signing Gerrard made but I am pretty confident Scott Brown will retire quite content and will give zero fucks about Davis 

10 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

f**k me the amount of people beside themselves them trying to belittle Browns achievements is hilarious.

Like it or not history remembers accomplishments and Brown has significantly more of them and has a piece of history unlikely to be repeated by any other captain of a Scottish side.

Davis may have played in the premier league but won f**k all in doing so and again players play the game to win trophies and honours so I’m pretty sure there is only one thing Davis has that Brown should be envious of and that’s this years League trophy. 

And Davis is a really good player, he has had a significant impact on Rangers revival and arguably the best signing Gerrard made but I am pretty confident Scott Brown will retire quite content and will give zero fucks about Davis 

Well I am in part agreement:  Broon has had a terrific career and deserves all the honours he has.

BUT it's a piece of nonsense to suggest that, "players play the game to win trophies and honours" since the overwhelming majority of them do not win major honours.

11 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Well I am in part agreement:  Broon has had a terrific career and deserves all the honours he has.

BUT it's a piece of nonsense to suggest that, "players play the game to win trophies and honours" since the overwhelming majority of them do not win major honours.

Firstly welcome back

And just because the majority don’t win much in terms of silverware doesn’t mean they don’t crave it or continue playing the game in the hope they become successful. You ask most footballers what their best memories are and most of them will tell you a tale of when they won something because generally that’s what defines their careers. 

Scott Brown won’t be remembered for not going to the EPL he will be remembered for his success at Celtic in the same way Davis won’t be remembered for playing in the EPL but he will be for his NI caps and being a part of this current title winning Rangers squad more so if they remain unbeaten 

Edited by Jinky67