The Celtic All Seasons thread

33 minutes ago, bennett said:

If Lawwell agreed to that then he must've thought that they'd stroll the league with no competition,  his arrogance may have cost them.

It'll be interesting if Lennons sacked as soon as it's mathematically impossible for them to win the title.

Do you not think Gerrard has a bonus laden contract?

6 minutes ago, stressball said:

So you’re saying you don’t believe the gradual slip of performances followed by a colossal nose dive this season that coincides with Lennon taking over has nothing to do with...

Well, Lennon?

An all conquering team becomes absolute dog shit, but it’s nothing to do with the guy trying to fit square pegs in round holes.

Okay mate. Howl away.

Lennon has and will take part of the can for losing a league,there is a difference between being at the top and staying at the top for a long period of time.

24 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I've no problem giving sevco credit for winning the league they have been more consistent than Celtic this season.
If it turns into 2 or 3 seasons then I mite be more concerned about where Celtic go forward to stop the rot. 

I would at least be thinking that there are moves afoot behind the scenes at Celtic.

Surely Lawell will be doing the following?

1 Working with new CEO to ensure a smooth handover and getting a serious amount of finance available for the summer transfer window.

2 Sourcing a new coaching team and this time not on the cheap. 

3 getting the football department to draw up a list of players available for transfer plus free transfers out.

4 Sign a top class Keeper for August.

Or is it as my Celtic mate says "Lawell is probably playing mair golf than Donald Trump."

1 minute ago, AndyM said:

I would at least be thinking that there are moves afoot behind the scenes at Celtic.

1 Working with new CEO to ensure a smooth handover and getting a serious amount of finance available for the summer transfer window.

3 getting the football department to draw up a list of players available for transfer plus free transfers out.

Or is it as my Celtic mate says "Lawell is probably playing mair golf than Donald Trump."

Celtic's finance will come from the sales of Ajer, Edouard and Christie.

6 minutes ago, G51 said:

First two, aye. I'd be surprised if anyone paid a decent fee for Christie though.

9 minutes ago, AndyM said:

All you are saying is Celtic are in a position of strength which I agree with. 

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

First two, aye. I'd be surprised if anyone paid a decent fee for Christie though.

Armstrong went for £7m with a year left on his deal, I'd expect Christie to get about the same.

Assuming they pull in £15m for Edouard and another £15m for Ajer, then that's a decent chunk.

Of course the difficulty is in spreading that across the number of players required: 1xGK, 2xRB, 3xCB, 1xLB, 1xCM (would have been 2 but assuming Shaw signs), 2xLW, 1xRW, 1xAM, 2xST.

14 players I make it?

Edited by G51

3 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

All you are saying is Celtic are in a position of strength which I agree with. 

They are without doubt. Financially they are the most powerful club in Scotland and in business terms they are the biggest. But they've taken their eye off the ball. 

1 minute ago, G51 said:

Armstrong went for £7m with a year left on his deal, I'd expect Christie to get about the same.

Armstrong is a better player than Christie. 

I can't think of a club he can join in the EPL. He wouldn't cope in the middle so he'd have to play out wide.

13 minutes ago, G51 said:

You could well be right. Christie is a certainty to go. Is on a relatively low wage at Celtic and hasn't signed a new contract. Plus don't think he isn't having interesting discussions with  Andy Robertson, Kieran Tierney and John McGinn on Scotland duty. 

1 minute ago, AndyM said:

They are without doubt. Financially they are the most powerful club in Scotland and in business terms they are the biggest. But they've taken their eye off the ball. 

This could very easily change in five months time when the CL qualifiers occur.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Armstrong is a better player than Christie. 

I can't think of a club he can join in the EPL. He wouldn't cope in the middle so he'd have to play out wide.

There's bound to be a club that takes a punt on him, the lower half of the EPL is full of diddies. A set piece taker, clean striker of the ball, technically very good - a doddering auld c**t like Hodgson will lap that up.

£7m might be a bit rich if COVID really hits the market, but I really can't see it being any less than £5m.

21 minutes ago, AndyM said:

Greenied for "moves afoot", a great phrase.

Just now, G51 said:

There's bound to be a club that takes a punt on him, the lower half of the EPL is full of diddies. A set piece taker, clean striker of the ball, technically very good - a doddering auld c**t like Hodgson will lap that up.

£7m might be a bit rich if COVID really hits the market, but I really can't see it being any less than £5m.

Palace have Zaha and Eze, they won't waste their money on Andros Townsend-lite, IMO.

He doesn't fit at Brighton. West Ham will be looking for better. All the others have systems I don't see where he fits, even Newcastle. Maybe depends who gets promoted.

3 minutes ago, AndyM said:

Domestic dominance can't be forever,rinse and repeat is required to get it back on track,I've got no problem if Lennon wants that job.
Celtic's signing policy is to sell the assets every 2 to 3 seasons,the manager needs 3 to 4 seasons to implement his ideas and ethos.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Palace have Zaha and Eze, they won't waste their money on Andros Townsend-lite, IMO.

He doesn't fit at Brighton. West Ham will be looking for better. All the others have systems I don't see where he fits, even Newcastle. Maybe depends who gets promoted.

They do, but they need depth and £5 - 7m isn't much to pay for it.

Who knows. Tough to predict the transfer market, this year especially.

Just now, G51 said:

Hodgson won't be managing next season, out of contract and hasn't been offered a new one. Palace will be looking for a new manager, paying London EPL wages, well run club and a good team to prove your an EPL manager......lucky Lampard is available eh.

I would have said transfer fees won't be as high this summer as we have seen much less spending but then Bayer Leverkusen paid £11m for Frimpong and blew that theory for me.