The Celtic All Seasons thread

Just seen this headline on the BBC for the following Sun article:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/9402480/man-utd-john-mcginn-aston-villa-transfer/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=sunfootballtwitter&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1561844274

Obviously just paper talk at this stage, but this could become one of the most costly displays of penny pinching ever seen in Scottish football. Not stretching to £4m and as a result missing out on upto £50m!!

If this goes through at anywhere near that amount, then Motherwell should be straight on the phone to Celtic offering them Turnbull again for at least £3.5m... Even injured!!

Any Scottish clubs with talented young players Celtic are interested in over the next year or so will be in a strong position to hike up the price a bit if they hold their nerve, as you've got to imagine Celtic won't risk it happening again in the near future. 

At least not until they've overpaid for a few duds!

5 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Just seen this headline on the BBC for the following Sun article:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/9402480/man-utd-john-mcginn-aston-villa-transfer/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=sunfootballtwitter&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1561844274

Obviously just paper talk at this stage, but this could become one of the most costly displays of penny pinching ever seen in Scottish football. Not stretching to £4m and as a result missing out on upto £50m!!

If this goes through at anywhere near that amount, then Motherwell should be straight on the phone to Celtic offering them Turnbull again for at least £3.5m... Even injured!!

Any Scottish clubs with talented young players Celtic are interested in over the next year or so will be in a strong position to hike up the price a bit if they hold their nerve, as you've got to imagine Celtic won't risk it happening again in the near future. 

At least not until they've overpaid for a few duds!

I have no problem with it Celtic didn't need McGinn to win the treble treble so good luck to the lad.
If Tierney is sold to arsenal and when he plays his first game he will be worth 50 million so asking for 25 million is cheap.
Any team in Scotland should at least double their price if an English club come calling for any player.
The more Scottish talent the clubs can keep in this country the better the league will be.

12 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

The more Scottish talent the clubs can keep in this country the better the league will be.

But not the national team, or the standard of player.

The more of our more talented players that get experience of playing in the top leagues the better.

Compare Tierney and Robertson. Five years ago Tierney was arguably the better player and prospect.  FF to today, and Tierney has achieved roughly the same as Jack Hendry at club level, whilst Robertson has played in back to back champions league finals.

I have no problem with it Celtic didn't need McGinn to win the treble treble so good luck to the lad.
If Tierney is sold to arsenal and when he plays his first game he will be worth 50 million so asking for 25 million is cheap.
Any team in Scotland should at least double their price if an English club come calling for any player.
The treble treble is irrelevant in comparison to 10 in a row for you sad acts, and to win that, you will need at least one reasonably large turnover of squad whilst bringing in younger players already capable of playing at a high level. Saying. Celtic didnt need John McGinn is absolute pish since McGinn fits that bill. An hinest fanbase would be pissed off at missing out on him given the manner it happened and his subsequent success.

We know you wont be honest about it.

14 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

But not the national team, or the standard of player.

The more of our more talented players that get experience of playing in the top leagues the better.

Compare Tierney and Robertson. Five years ago Tierney was arguably the better player and prospect.  FF to today, and Tierney has achieved roughly the same as Jack Hendry at club level, whilst Robertson has played in back to back champions league finals.

The clubs are struggling to keep the talent in Scotland at 19 or 20 year old eg.Turnbull and even younger.
Some players out grow the level in Scotland but if the clubs can keep them until at least 23 to 25 they have a better chance of making it at a higher level.
Playing 50 to100 games in Scotland would give them that platform. 

Edited by wastecoatwilly

Guest Moomintroll

On what will probably be a totally unpopular note & referencing the fact that scoring goals in friendlies mean the square root of hee haw, I am delighted that Leigh Griffiths is back playing. No idea what he has been going through but can guess some if it from personal experience, hope he keeps it going for the sake of the National Team but hope he has a 'mare every time he plays us.

On what will probably be a totally unpopular note & referencing the fact that scoring goals in friendlies mean the square root of hee haw, I am delighted that Leigh Griffiths is back playing. No idea what he has been going through but can guess some if it from personal experience, hope he keeps it going for the sake of the National Team but hope he has a 'mare every time he plays us.

I’m the same. Great to see him back. Most importantly though hope he’s left his off field stuff behind him.

Why would it be unpopular? Think most people have wished him a good recovery. Personally think we need him fighting fit for Scotland duty.

8 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

The clubs are struggling to keep the talent in Scotland at 19 or 20 year old eg.Turnbull and even younger.
Some players out grow the level in Scotland but if the clubs can keep them until at least 23 to 25 they have a better chance of making it at a higher level.
Playing 50 to100 games in Scotland would give them that platform. 

Ok that's different, I agree that getting first team matches under your belt before moving on is best for younger players.  I thought you were arguing players should stay their career in Scotland.

Id say Tierney is at that place now; played lots of first team games, achieved and won everything with Celtic he realistically can and is at an age where he's ready to move on.

I really hope he goes and tears it up just as Robbo has done, either with Arsenal, or even more exciting, in serie A.

Guest Moomintroll
Why would it be unpopular? Think most people have wished him a good recovery. Personally think we need him fighting fit for Scotland duty.
I know but you never know with point scorers. The Dog is with me a bit today which is why I am on here loads & trying to avoid the wife.