The Celtic All Seasons thread

4 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

£5m is a more than generous offer for McKenna.

If Celtic seriously sell Tierney and McGregor, and are going to be bringing in the standard of Turnbull and McKenna, then we really could have quite an interesting league on our hands next season.

Was the Celtic fan who said he wasn't bothered if McGregor left, implying he didn't rate him, actually serious?!!

I would expect if Lennon wants to offload Tierney, N’tcham, Boyata and McGregor he will have assurances over what he can re-invest. He’s maybe looking to put his own mark on the squad ?

It’s far too early to tell if we will have a title race. Celtic are miles ahead and it would take monumentally poor management from Lennon not to win it again.

17 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Tierney's stock is arguably less than it was a year ago. Celtic limped out of the champions league at the Diddy stage and he's been injured.

McKenna's worth in comparison to our transfer record is not relevant at all. Bizarre statement.

Van Dijk was sold years ago. The market has changed.

I would agree that Tierney's stock may have dropped due to injury but his overall performances in the champions league have been well above the team as a whole.

As much as the market has changed the Scottish market hasn't really. If Tierney was performing well domestically and not at all in Europe then he wouldn't be worth the money we are talking about.

McKenna as it stands is only decent at domestic level and his value to others will reflect that. 

Edited by gannonball

Just now, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I would expect if Lennon wants to offload Tierney, N’tcham, Boyata and McGregor he will have assurances over what he can re-invest. He’s maybe looking to put his own mark on the squad ?

It’s far too early to tell if we will have a title race. Celtic are miles ahead and it would take monumentally poor management from Lennon not to win it again.

Exactly.

The last sentence is a real possibility though.

2 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Just accept you're wrong and move on. Makes it easier for everyone else.

There's a reason McKenna had had bids from the teams that have come in for him. He's nowhere near the finished article and never will be at Aberdeen. He's also far away from shite.

This isn't about who is right or wrong. McKenna as you point out is far from shite but Findlay IS a better footballer. 

Just now, gannonball said:

I would agree that Tierney's stock may have dropped due to injury but his overall performances in the champions league have been well above the team as a whole.

As much as the market has changed the Scottish market hasn't. If Tierney was performing well domestically and not at all in Europe then he wouldn't be worth the money we are talking about.

McKenna as it stands is only decent at domestic level and his value to others will reflect that. 

Blinkered.

Expect this pish from Romeo or Willy. You're normally above such nonsense.

1 minute ago, KTID26 said:

This isn't about who is right or wrong. McKenna as you point out is far from shite but Findlay IS a better footballer. 

Based on what? You're entitled to your opinion obviously but the manager who just used Findlay to finish in an unexpected third place didn't give him a minute of international football over the past two games.

£5m is a more than generous offer for McKenna.
If Celtic seriously sell Tierney and McGregor, and are going to be bringing in the standard of Turnbull and McKenna, then we really could have quite an interesting league on our hands next season.
Was the Celtic fan who said he wasn't bothered if McGregor left, implying he didn't rate him, actually serious?!!
Would agree with the interesting league if i hadn't seen the "quality" sevco have been signing

4 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Blinkered.

All I was arguing is that 5 million is certainly not a 'joke' bid. I seem to be one of few Celtic fans that actually rate him but I just think he has a fair bit to go to show he can perform at a higher level which is why the amount being quoted is not a joke.

6 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Agree. But does Lennon have the same influence as Rodgers to attract quality players?

It looks more like the model Celtic tried to use under rocket Ronny in terms of bringing in young Scottish players, raising their profile and selling them on at a good profit a few years later.  Absolutely nothing wrong with that, but does make Celtic appear less untouchable to the rest of the league, particularly in one off matches.

Very early days though as you say, we'll see how it all goes over the next few months.

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

I rate McKenna but I dont think anyone truly rates him at 10 million including Aberdeen. His stock is arguably less than what it was a year ago.

Tierney has proven to perform well at the highest level (champions league) where McKenna has been questionable at international level against low level opposition. TIerney has played alot more games than McKenna despite being nearly a year younger too.The two really aren't comparable in terms of value. 

Offering 3 times your previous transfer record for one of your players can't really be seen as a 'joke'.

FWIW I think he can be a good defender at a decent level but given Van Dijk went for 12 million he is nowhere near the level he was at when we sold him.

Van Dijk price not comparable anymore, as it’s in the past. The money levels have escalated quickly in football and if the Van Dijk deal was happening now Celtic would certainly be looking for more than 12 million, as they now are for Tierney.

4 minutes ago, gannonball said:

All I was arguing is that 5 million is certainly not a 'joke' bid. I seem to be one of few Celtic fans that actually rate him but I just think he has a fair bit to go to show he can perform at a higher level which is why the amount being quoted is not a joke.

If he was foreign you'd raise your offer and barely any fans would blink an eye. 

£3m for Kouassi remember.

You don't want to give £5m to a domestic rival. Fair enough.

1 minute ago, big al said:

Van Dijk price not comparable anymore, as it’s in the past. The money levels have escalated quickly in football and if the Van Dijk deal was happening now Celtic would certainly be looking for more than 12 million, as they now are for Tierney.

I have already said as much as the market as a whole has gone up the value of Scottish based players generally haven't gone up at the same rate. Yes Van Dijk would be worth more now but he was performing in Europe where the value has gone up significantly. He was also streets ahead of McKenna domestically.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

If he was foreign you'd raise your offer and barely any fans would blink an eye. 

Eh?! we had 5 million rejected? So obviously we do. I don't think I am the one who is blinkered here.

Guest Moomintroll
“McKenna’s not good enough!!”
“Why won’t Aberdeen sell us McKenna?!!”

Fuckin make up yer mind min.
It's what they do. Unswerving cultists to a man, they are worse than sheep (no offence intended).

Guest Moomintroll
Based on what? You're entitled to your opinion obviously but the manager who just used Findlay to finish in an unexpected third place didn't give him a minute of international football over the past two games.
That is true, Findlay is good but McKenna is better at the moment.

6 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Nah the issue is the fans have seen him play more than a foreign player like Kouassi and have seen that he's relatively pish for a £5m player. 

Guest Moomintroll

Going to defend gannonball here, he is a cut above the biased mentalists and 5 mill is a reasonable offer given that a real young creative talent has just moved there for 3.25 mill. Not going to lie, if someone offered us 2.5 mill for Findlay I would bite their hand off.

23 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Blinkered.

Hes not wrong. Using Aberdeen fans own example, Van Djik was an Internationalist, title winning, 24yo CB with 27 appearances in the CL when he moved for £12m.

McKenna is a 22yo International CB, with a top half Scottish side.

£5m up front, with potential for the fee to breach £8m, seems fair.