The Celtic All Seasons thread

I don’t blame Turnbull. He only has to look at Robertson, Wanyama and VVD careers since leaving our league. As a Celtic fan it saddens me we are seen as nothing but a stepping stone to the English league and Turnbull has excelled in a team full of shite players so now has his ticket to England. People keep saying it’s about the money but it’s the fact he’s a talented young player and that’s the big stage, Celtic ain’t an attraction anymore.

But f**k him[emoji13]

1 hour ago, SlideAway said:

Celtic ain’t an attraction anymore.

A decade ago you were regulars in the Champions League, beating the likes of AC Milan and Barcelona. Massive European sides dreaded going to Celtic Park. 

Nowadays, your club is less of an attraction that Leicester City, Norwich City & AFC Bournemouth. 

Welcome to DiddyLand 

200w (2).gif

3 hours ago, SlideAway said:

I don’t blame Turnbull. He only has to look at Robertson, Wanyama and VVD careers since leaving our league. As a Celtic fan it saddens me we are seen as nothing but a stepping stone to the English league and Turnbull has excelled in a team full of shite players so now has his ticket to England. People keep saying it’s about the money but it’s the fact he’s a talented young player and that’s the big stage, Celtic ain’t an attraction anymore.

Bigger fish eat the smaller fish. Scottish teams cant compete with the  English Championship never mind premiership teams. Scottish football is paid crumbs compared to other European countries those that run our game are not up to the job on so many fronts. 

Bigger fish eat the smaller fish. Scottish teams cant compete with the  English Championship never mind premiership teams. Scottish football is paid crumbs compared to other European countries those that run our game are not up to the job on so many fronts. 

Bang on,

I can’t really see it changing either. It’s great to see big names like Rodgers, Clarke and Gerrard giving it a go, Gerrard the last left and after him we won’t see it again, they’ve tried our league and it’s not for them - once Gerrard wins a title if he ever does he will be away.

The standard of refereeing, the empty stands and lack of competition is not appealing and it’s sad because having these big names up here was the chance to build our game up here but the SFA have done absolutely nothing in regards to that.

A decade ago you were regulars in the Champions League, beating the likes of AC Milan and Barcelona. Massive European sides dreaded going to Celtic Park. 
Nowadays, your club is less of an attraction that Leicester City, Norwich City & AFC Bournemouth. 
Welcome to DiddyLand 
878176269_200w(2).gif.57036f81e852c7cccd14ce3d9f3e56b4.gif

Nah I agree,

It was a wake up call when Rodgers left for Leicester. Brendan was loved up here and was winning trophies while having a crack at Europe and it obviously wasn’t enough for him to stay so any decent manager will look at that and now avoid Celtic.

Is there really that vast a gap in wages between Celtic and English championship clubs?

1 minute ago, Empty It said:
2 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

Is there really that vast a gap in wages between Celtic and English championship clubs?

I wouldn't say so but the ones with parachute payments will have a higher budget for obvious reasons.

3 minutes ago, Empty It said:
2 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

The average in the Championship is £8k.

Celtic's is £16k. 

1 hour ago, SlideAway said:

Nah I agree,

It was a wake up call when Rodgers left for Leicester. Brendan was loved up here and was winning trophies while having a crack at Europe and it obviously wasn’t enough for him to stay so any decent manager will look at that and now avoid Celtic.

Rodgers wanted to work with EPL level players and has gone to a club with a decent EPL squad and lots of ambition.

Lawwell would not give him the budget to bring in players who could qualify for the UCL group stages. 

So why would he stay to coach, by European standards, an over-rated and over-paid squad of numpties?

15 minutes ago, Empty It said:
16 minutes ago, Dele said:
The average in the Championship is £8k.
Celtic's is £16k. 

So really Celtic have more a budget of a lower premiership team rather than a championship team.

Given the average wage of an EPL player is 50 grand we are closer to the championship top level than the lower end EPL I would say.Also our wage bill will be significantly lower now anyway as our wages are heavily dependent on champions league qualification. This wage  bill estimation is based on a champions league year Im guessing too.

Edited by gannonball

Given the average wage of an EPL player is 50 grand we are closer to the championship top level than the lower end EPL I would say.Also our wage bill will be significantly lower now anyway as our wages are heavily dependent on champions league qualification. This wage  bill estimation is based on a champions league year Im guessing too.
Didn't realise the wage difference between championship and premiership was that high, pretty ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, Empty It said:
9 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Didn't realise the wage difference between championship and premiership was that high, pretty ridiculous.

Neither did I till I just googled it tbh. Explains why Championship clubs are falling foul of fair play rules to reach the promise land though . On a similar note As much as I would like us to spend to reach the champions league it would be irresponsible to spunk significant money we don't yet have.

Edited by gannonball

Lets not paint Celtic as some teams fighting the odds financially in terms of the EFL Championship, your wage bill is only £9m per year lower than fucking Valencia.

Celtics wage bill is £59m.

That would place them 22nd in English football, so they'd be one of the top two paying clubs in the Championship.

EPL is a different matter though, Celtic are absolutely light years away from those clubs, Leicesters wage bill in 18/19 was more than double Celtics. Its no wonder they absolutely shat themselves when one of those teams got involved with Turnbull, if Celtic tried to compete financially they'd be blown out the water without Norwich even blinking.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Lets not paint Celtic as some teams fighting the odds financially in terms of the EFL Championship, your wage bill is only £9m per year lower than fucking Valencia.

That would place them 22nd in English football, so they'd be one of the top two paying clubs in the Championship.

EPL is a different matter though, Celtic are absolutely light years away from those clubs, Leicesters wage bill in 18/19 was more than double Celtics. Its no wonder they absolutely shat themselves when one of those teams got involved with Turnbull, if Celtic tried to compete financially they'd be blown out the water without Norwich even blinking.

‘Only’ 9 million :huh:......and a 50 million plus player spending surplus against our 15 million deficit. Pennies really.

I  

4 minutes ago, gannonball said:

‘Only’ 9 million :huh:......and a 50 million plus player spending surplus against our 15 million deficit. Pennies really.

I  

Your revenue was £14m higher than Valencias. 

Have to wonder why they're able, and willing, to spend so much money, while you lot squabble over paying someone a five figure weekly salary.

Peter Lawell raked in over £4m in "wages and bonuses" last season, if it helps you understand.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Your revenue was £14m higher than Valencias. 

Have to wonder why they're able, and willing, to spend so much money, while you lot squabble over paying someone a five figure weekly salary.

Peter Lawell raked in over £4m in "wages and bonuses" last season, if it helps you understand.

Well I have already said the quoted 59 million batted about is estimated on our champions league season which we pay our players a fair bit more so it is quite a skewed example as it is. We have no guarantee of getting that money unlike Valencias near guaranteed spanish tv money so we have to budget accordingly. I do think we should loosen the purse strings a bit of course and pay Lawwell a lot lot  less but as a whole I think we do ok.

Nobody is.

It’s not all about money to players, people need to remember the Championship in England is a really good level. It’s a good competitive league, bigger clubs have more respect for players performing in the English league. We can provide European experience but recent campaigns nobody is getting the thumbs up so nobody is taking note of our players.

Also, Norwich aren’t a bigger club than Celtic. No where near the size of Celtic but why would Turnbull choose them over us? The league and the potential to play at the top is the obvious reasons to me. Celtic can win you trophies and get a few European games under your belt but until the board have more ambition this is how things are going to go in my opinion.

It wasn’t long ago Celtic Park was a fortress and not long ago we were in a UEFA Cup final.

1 minute ago, SlideAway said:

why would Turnbull choose them over us? 

Because Norwich respected, and valued, him enough to pay him a wage he asked for, while Celtic low balled him, tried to heap pressure on him via twitter, then had their captain mewling in the press about him being a shitebag if he doesn't just accept what they want to give him?

Dignity can count for a lot in football.

Because Norwich respected, and valued, him enough to pay him a wage he asked for.

While Celtic offered him what they thought he was worth. We’re talking about a 19yr old who’s not even played a full season. If Celtic had spunked £20k wages on him I would’ve been disgusted.