Jump to content

The Celtic All Seasons thread


Recommended Posts

On 03/02/2019 at 15:49, gannonball said:

Corners used to be our most potent weapon in Europe during MON days. Was also pretty potent under Strachan with Naka in. Since then its been pretty dire where I rarely get excited for any corner at all. We will struggle to match teams technically in Europe so corners is something we should be working on all the time with well worked set pieces.

McGregor cant mix corners up at all so I'm glad Christie has burst in to the team and can take them too.  Strange how Corners seems to be scored less these days in football as a whole.

I once read an excellent Jonathan Wilson article (that I tried to find for you, but failed) on how crossing was a highly inefficient method of scoring a goal, given how many of them you have to put in before a cross is scored. It was written at the time of Barcelona's ascendency (2010-ish) and pointed out the fact that they rarely put crosses in (or corners for that matter).

Given England's success at the WC, with all but 1 or 2 goals coming from set-pieces, you'd think that Celtic would aim for that. It doesn't seem to be Rodgers' philosophy though, having muscular forwards who are good in the air. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, velo army said:

I once read an excellent Jonathan Wilson article (that I tried to find for you, but failed) on how crossing was a highly inefficient method of scoring a goal, given how many of them you have to put in before a cross is scored. It was written at the time of Barcelona's ascendency (2010-ish) and pointed out the fact that they rarely put crosses in (or corners for that matter).

I've always found articles like that completely ignore the fact 99% of clubs won't create nearly as many chances as Barcelona if you take away crosses from them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I've always found articles like that completely ignore the fact 99% of clubs won't create nearly as many chances as Barcelona if you take away crosses from them.

 

Amazing, your insight is truly amazing.

 

Have a like, on me.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I see that Brendan is once again spouting his words of wisdom on Scottish football and he says that our referees are amateurs. Could someone at Celtic, if indeed anyone there knows, tell him that our referees are actually paid for each match that they officiate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I see that Brendan is once again spouting his words of wisdom on Scottish football and he says that our referees are amateurs. Could someone at Celtic, if indeed anyone there knows, tell him that our referees are actually paid for each match that they officiate.


Would you welcome officials from England and Wales to referee our games?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Amid the various controversies and whatabboutery, it's nice to see the occasional piece of good news, Celtic are helping Torrance FC to get their pitch sorted out after it was vandalized by morons
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-step-help-youth-football-14027526
Id prefer they made a more public show of helping Kilmarnock and condemning the idiots who did the damage there tbh.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Amid the various controversies and whatabboutery, it's nice to see the occasional piece of good news, Celtic are helping Torrance FC to get their pitch sorted out after it was vandalized by morons

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-step-help-youth-football-14027526

Gerelateerde afbeelding

Was it these guys again ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...