The Celtic All Seasons thread

20 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I don’t know what your angle is here tbh. Nobody is saying it’s a mystery, just a subject matter they don’t know any detail of. 

I’m the same but I am ignorant of that league but I would hold my hands up to my ignorance. 

Kennie is implying English fans are giving some sort of informed opinion on the new Tottenham manager based on his time here. 

Ok, got you now. 

Of course EPL fans are ignorant of Scottish football, as they will be of anything out with the top 1 or possibly two tiers of their home country, they probably know more about the top of the big 5 leagues than they do about bottom 6 in their championship. 

ETA- absolute fanboys.

Edited by Brother Blades
Edit for clarification

1 hour ago, printer said:

I would have thought Callum McGregor would be the Celtic player he'd most want to take to Spurs.

Also, I'd expect him to look at the Japanese market again, but upping the quality of player he is able to attract of course.

I thought the same. He's a class player and a tremendous athlete. He surely can't spend his whole career at Celtic.

6 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

Yep....when up against teams who he doesn't massive financially outmuscle or who are beaten before they step on the pitch because they've had years of 'Sportsound' or 'Superscoreboard' drip feeding them on how 'massive' Celtic are, he tends to struggle...Do you think English football fans are so thick they're incapable of looking up Celtic's record in Europe under Postegoclu ? 

Or even looking up how to spell their new managers name?

In other news, he’s apparently already looking to sign “out of favour” Harry McGuire. 

2 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

I don't think there's much ignorance among English football fans...they see exactly what we up here see - a Celtic team who sweep all before them domestically solely due to a massive financial advantage and all the media and refereeing soft-pedaling that their status as the establishment club brings. Therefore Spurs fans look to see how things have gone under Postegoclu when that massive advantage has been removed. 

There’s PLENTY ignorance amongst English fans.

4 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

If Spurs give him a bit of time, I think he might do quite well there.

You're probably right. But Spurs can say all they want about giving him time, they see themselves as a top four club and if he isn't showing good signs that that could happen next season, he will be binned. No one at a "top" club in England gets more than six months if things are not going the way the owners see it, regardless of what is said at the outset.

45 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

And your experience of England and  English people is what ?? a) non-existent; b) built on lazy stereotypes; c) diligently garnered through many happy hours on the Norfolk Broads....?

You do realise the second most common nationality in Scotland are the English?

2 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

You're probably right. But Spurs can say all they want about giving him time, they see themselves as a top four club and if he isn't showing good signs that that could happen next season, he will be binned. No one at a "top" club in England gets more than six months if things are not going the way the owners see it, regardless of what is said at the outset.

Six months at Tottenham is a bit of time.

48 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

Yep....when up against teams who he doesn't massive financially outmuscle or who are beaten before they step on the pitch because they've had years of 'Sportsound' or 'Superscoreboard' drip feeding them on how 'massive' Celtic are, he tends to struggle...Do you think English football fans are so thick they're incapable of looking up Celtic's record in Europe under Postegoclu ? 

Would they not be better looking at his entire CV where he has been a success in pretty much every job he's taken on rather than his European record with Celtic?

Let's face it, the snobbery on show from Spurs/EPL fans is no different to what Postecoglu faced when he took the Celtic job. I remember one absolute weapon from the BBC asking him in a press conference before his first game in charge, if he knew anything about Hearts. What an ignorant question. 

What were they expecting him to say?

50 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

If they need to look it up then they clearly lack knowledge or prior interest which is the very definition of ignorance 

1 hour ago, Brother Blades said:

Or even looking up how to spell their new managers name?

In other news, he’s apparently already looking to sign “out of favour” Harry McGuire

Come on now :lol:

In terms of Ange going, don't really see why Celtic fans should be particularly arsed.  He's left the team/club in a far healthier position than when he arrived.  An excellent squad for the next manager to take on and a Treble to defend.  However, Ange failed repeatedly in Europe (as every Celtic manager has for the last decade or so, tbf) so go out and get a manager who has the humility to try and nick a result in Europe by actually defending now and again, despite going week after week battering teams domestically.

1 minute ago, Desp said:

Come on now :lol:

In terms of Ange going, don't really see why Celtic fans should be particularly arsed.  He's left the team/club in a far healthier position than when he arrived.  An excellent squad for the next manager to take on and a Treble to defend.  However, Ange failed repeatedly in Europe (as every Celtic manager has for the last decade or so, tbf) so go out and get a manager who has the humility to try and nick a result in Europe by actually defending now and again, despite going week after week battering teams domestically.

It was absolutely deliberate, however, I don’t expect anyone to believe me, it was also an exaggeration of my ignorance of EPL football. 

3 hours ago, printer said:

I would have thought Callum McGregor would be the Celtic player he'd most want to take to Spurs.

Also, I'd expect him to look at the Japanese market again, but upping the quality of player he is able to attract of course.

The Scottish media had an angle where McGregor was top of Rodgers list of targets for Leicester and nothing materialised - I’m sure Rodgers knew McGregor wanted to stay at Celtic.

I’m pretty sure Postecoglu will know that McGregor is 100% happy playing in the Scottish Premiership and won’t attempt to prise him away.

Although, I’m not sure what else McGregor can achieve domestically in Scotland unless his long term ambition is to move into coaching with Celtic.

3 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

If I was a Celtic fan I’d be hoping that my next manager was so successful that another top 6/8/10 English Premiership team would come in for him.

I know some of the less intelligent Celtic fans will be gutted but the days of anyone being loyal in football is absolutely gone. It goes 2 ways though and for Ange Postecoglu or any Celtic or Rangers manager you are only a few games from the sack at all times.

If I was a Celtic fan I would honestly look at this whole situation positively and take it as a compliment that your club is going in the right direction. I also think, if he does well, that it would be a positive reflection on our league.

The bigger plus for them is that it raises the quality of manager they can attract.

For any up and coming manager in world football outwith the big leagues, it could be quite an attractive job. Pretty much guaranteed a bucket full of trophies to stick on your cv, unless you make a complete hash of it, guaranteed crack at champions league football, and a fawning media who will build you up to be the greatest tactician of your generation.

Do this for 2 years and take the plaudits, then take your inevitable move to the cash cow that is the English premiership and set yourself up for life.

Potter could do a lot worse to rebuild his reputation.

12 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

The bigger plus for them is that it raises the quality of manager they can attract.

For any up and coming manager in world football outwith the big leagues, it could be quite an attractive job. Pretty much guaranteed a bucket full of trophies to stick on your cv, unless you make a complete hash of it, guaranteed crack at champions league football, and a fawning media who will build you up to be the greatest tactician of your generation.

Do this for 2 years and take the plaudits, then take your inevitable move to the cash cow that is the English premiership and set yourself up for life.

Potter could do a lot worse to rebuild his reputation.

Totally agree.