The Celtic All Seasons thread

58 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Surely with Rodgers and also Gerrard being absolutely pish in England despite both having unbeaten league seasons up here will work in Celtic’s favour as English clubs are less likely to take a risk on Postecoglu now ?

As much as it pleases me seeing him get the boot, i don't think you can call Rodgers pish in England, 5th Place the first two seasons, 8th the 3rd season and a FA cup (first ever) and whatever the Charity Shield is called these days to go along with it.

2 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Surely with Rodgers and also Gerrard being absolutely pish in England despite both having unbeaten league seasons up here will work in Celtic’s favour as English clubs are less likely to take a risk on Postecoglu now ?

53 minutes ago, DavieCFC said:

As much as it pleases me seeing him get the boot, i don't think you can call Rodgers pish in England, 5th Place the first two seasons, 8th the 3rd season and a FA cup (first ever) and whatever the Charity Shield is called these days to go along with it.

Agreed. I don’t think it would be fair view them similarly.

It should also be remembered that Rodgers had a premier league career before Celtic too which was relatively successful as well.

1 hour ago, DavieCFC said:

Correct. He is streets ahead of Gerrard and by no means a failure.

1 hour ago, DavieCFC said:

He’s made Leicester progressively worse each year and this season it’s been a major collapse. You can’t argue with his league position. It was unfair of me to compare him to Gerrard admittedly.

I think Rodgers is a case of a manager staying too long in a job and things going stale. A couple of years ago he could’ve probably got a “Top 6” club job relatively easily.

15 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

He’s made Leicester progressively worse each year and this season it’s been a major collapse. You can’t argue with his league position. It was unfair of me to compare him to Gerrard admittedly.

The Leicester owners were tightening the reigns though so he was at the point of consolidating at best rather than success so dropping down the positions were expected although they should be above the relegation zone. Can see him getting another EPL job easily enough or might head over to Spain.

Edited by gannonball

21 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

And how does winning the FA Cup 2 seasons ago fit in with that assessment? 

I have no love for Rodgers however is his collapse this season any worse than Klopps? Comparing him to Gerrard is wild and tbf Rodgers has already achieved which Gerrard now seems unlikely to and that is being manager of Liverpool 

On 02/04/2023 at 21:22, AJF said:

I think Rodgers is a case of a manager staying too long in a job and things going stale. A couple of years ago he could’ve probably got a “Top 6” club job relatively easily.

He massively overspent in his first few seasons then when the reigns got tightened to deal with the overspending later on, he struggled to find cheap EPL level bargains.

Add in Vardys decline and youve got a perfect mix for where they are.

On 02/04/2023 at 21:22, AJF said:

He massively overspent in his first few seasons then when the reigns got tightened to deal with the overspending later on, he struggled to find cheap EPL level bargains.

Add in Vardys decline and youve got a perfect mix for where they are.

Alexandro Bernabei's stunning Celtic strike has found itself as the unlikely catalyst for a bizarre row over the Falklands between an Argentine government official and a British diplomat.

The 22-year-old replaced Greg Taylor against Ross County in Dingwall and ultimately sealed the win with a stunner from distance. The Parkhead side led through Jota's penalty but it was a moment of magic from Argentine youth cap Bernabei that made sure of the points, coming in from the left hand side to hammer one into the top corner at Ross Laidlaw's near post.

It was his first goal for the club and the first time an Argentine player had ever scored for Celtic. The news created headlines in South America with Bernabei, who signed in a £3.75 million move from Lanus last year, being widely praised. And he was hailed by Argentinian government minister Guillermo Carmona, who is the Secretary of Malvinas Affairs in the Argentine Foreign Ministry.

Carmona went onto social media to praise Bernabei's goal and was particularly impressed Celtic fans chanted 'Argentina' after the goal. He stated: "What an emotion I feel to hear 'Argentina, Argentina' in Scotland chanted by fans. Our compatriot Alexandro Bernabei, a Celtic player, made it possible with a magnificent goal. And what else to say it on an occasion like this except the Falkland Islands are Argentine."

In 1982, Argentina invaded and occupied the Falkland Islands - Islas Malvinas in Spanish - and the UK launched a naval task force that eventually secured victory after 74 days. Last month though, Argentina pulled out of a deal with the UK about the Falklands' sovereignty and demanded new talks as tensions escala

And Carmona's comments drew an outraged response from Mark Kent, who was the UK ambassador to Argentina until last year. He warned him: "Don't mix sport with politics. In the UK and in Scotland we love the Argentine players and we show our appreciation. We honour Falklands veterans on both sides. You are a shameless populist politician."

But that prompted a furious reply from the Argentinian government official, who responded: "When your country respects international law, sits at the negotiating table to comply with UN resolutions and ends the shame of colonialism, I may even consider your sports advice. If you think that I am a 'populist politician' for linking football with the Malvinas, know this - the absolute majority of Argentines do that."