The Celtic All Seasons thread

23 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Our normal game saw us almost take the lead several times. We had the better chances in the first half and Maeda missed an absolute sitter.

Changing our game may have saw us create f**k all and get battered anyway which is what used to happen with Brendan Rodgers.

So nah I’m glad we had a go, nothing ventured and all that

Something ventured still got easily beat.

All i'm saying is Ange has done a great job bringing a brand of entertaining  football that gets a lot of goals in Scottish football, but if he wants to progress in the CL, and punch above Celtic's financial weight playing the big money teams, he'll have to show a bit of tactical nous, and not just go hell for leather till you run out of steam, hoping you do enough in the first half to hang on for the next 45 mins. 

For a neutral it was pretty entertaining, seeing Celtic doing a good job first half, and Real have them chasing shadows the next 45, scoring for fun once they got the time and space to knock the ball about. On the whole it was tactically naive from Ange though, even worse if he doesn't learn from it.

24 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

And so insightful, makes you wonder why their teams don’t take so many more points off us by changing their normal approach 

We did.

Since you brought it up and opened the door,

Livi 1-0 Celtic.

Celtic 0-0 Livi.

Livi 1-3 Celtic.

Honours even last season and first time we've lost to Celtic at the TMA  since we came back up.

That wouldn't have happened had we went toe to toe with Celtic trying to outplay you. We go in as massive underdogs with the financial disparity, but tactically Martindale has done incredibly well against you, maybe something Ange should think about when playing Europe's elite.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

We did.

Since you brought it up and opened the door,

Livi 1-0 Celtic.

Celtic 0-0 Livi.

Livi 1-3 Celtic.

Honours even last season and first time we've lost to Celtic at the TMA  since we came back up.

That wouldn't have happened had we went toe to toe with Celtic trying to outplay you. We go in as massive underdogs with the financial disparity, but tactically Martindale has done incredibly well against you, maybe something Ange should think about when playing Europe's elite.

Confident for Saturday then?

As much as im disapointed by the result, we are vastly improved on this time last year. We need to use this defeat to push us on and keep improving. It was always going to be in steps we improved and it was always going to take a few seasons to reach a decent level in europe. >Onwards and upwards. Some great play at times last night. Mcgregor was absolutely outstanding. What a leader he is now. I wasnt sure about him being captain material when he got it but hes done better than I even hoped possible.

45 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:

As much as im disapointed by the result, we are vastly improved on this time last year. We need to use this defeat to push us on and keep improving. It was always going to be in steps we improved and it was always going to take a few seasons to reach a decent level in europe. >Onwards and upwards. Some great play at times last night. Mcgregor was absolutely outstanding. What a leader he is now. I wasnt sure about him being captain material when he got it but hes done better than I even hoped possible.

Agree re McGregor. He was excellent last night. Hope he plays down south or abroad one day, would like to see how he’d do. 

18 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

Confident for Saturday then?

Are you?

You should be with the huge gulf in finances allowing you a far better quality in signings, spending 40x more than us on players. However we're always in with a fighters chance defending for our lives throwing boding in front of shots, always going in as the underdogs though and incredible we've taken so many points off Celtic, which wouldn't have happened trying any other tactics playing you.

Always go to Celtic park fearing a 5-0 gubbing and anything less is a bonus really, taking a point would be something else the domestic form Celtic are showing.

Would be interesting to see what would happen if Ange left Celtic. 

Seen it previously where they seem so far beyond everyone else you think it’ll be the norm for a good while, then a managerial change resulted in a collapse. E.g. Rogers > Lennon a couple of years ago.

Be amazed if he left for a lower level Premiership (at best) club like Brighton, especially with the group stages of the CL just started.  Having said that, the outrage from Celtic fans about someone  leaving them for lowly Brighton would be fantastic!

6 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Are you?

You should be with the huge gulf in finances allowing you a far better quality in signings, spending 40x more than us on players. However we're always in with a fighters chance defending for our lives throwing boding in front of shots, always going in as the underdogs though and incredible we've taken so many points off Celtic, which wouldn't have happened trying any other tactics playing you.

Always go to Celtic park fearing a 5-0 gubbing and anything less is a bonus really, taking a point would be something else the domestic form Celtic are showing.

Yes very confident despite us probably rotating heavily however unsure if games will go ahead this weekend after the Queens passing?

4 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Would be interesting to see what would happen if Ange left Celtic. 

Seen it previously where they seem so far beyond everyone else you think it’ll be the norm for a good while, then a managerial change resulted in a collapse. E.g. Rogers > Lennon a couple of years ago.

Be amazed if he left for a lower level Premiership (at best) club like Brighton, especially with the group stages of the CL just started.  Having said that, the outrage from Celtic fans about someone  leaving them for lowly Brighton would be fantastic!

With the relatively high turnaround of managers at the bigger English clubs he may see Brighton as an opportunity to establish himself in England, enhance his reputation and move on with 2/3 years.

From Celtics point of view, Brighton are in a great position financially due to Sky money and some high £’s player sales so although the compensation for Postecoglu wouldn’t be high due to his rolling contract, he could potentially look to buy the likes of Jota and O’Riley if he feels they would enhance Brightons squad which would fit in with Celtics player trading model.

3 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

With the relatively high turnaround of managers at the bigger English clubs he may see Brighton as an opportunity to establish himself in England, enhance his reputation and move on with 2/3 years.

From Celtics point of view, Brighton are in a great position financially due to Sky money and some high £’s player sales so although the compensation for Postecoglu wouldn’t be high due to his rolling contract, he could potentially look to buy the likes of Jota and O’Riley if he feels they would enhance Brightons squad which would fit in with Celtics player trading model.

He was a banter figure to most of you this time last season and now your touting him for the EPL. What a difference a year makes 😂

3 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

He was a banter figure to most of you this time last season and now your touting him for the EPL. What a difference a year makes 😂

I’m not trawling through the posts mate but I think you’ll find I was one of the few people that predicted Celtic to win the league last season. 

Do I think he’s a great coach, no I don’t and c. 5 trophies in 25 years in more competitive leagues back that up. Do I think he’s a good coach, yes, he undoubtedly is an is held in high regard by players in all 3 countries he’s managed in (don’t know about Greece). Do I think he’s a good fit for Brightons project ? I absolutely do. 

8 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I’m not trawling through the posts mate but I think you’ll find I was one of the few people that predicted Celtic to win the league last season. 

Do I think he’s a great coach, no I don’t and c. 5 trophies in 25 years in more competitive leagues back that up. Do I think he’s a good coach, yes, he undoubtedly is an is held in high regard by players in all 3 countries he’s managed in (don’t know about Greece). Do I think he’s a good fit for Brightons project ? I absolutely do. 

Ok if we are being serious then, Ange comes across very much as a principled football man are you of the opinion that now is the right time? Managing in the Champions League seems to be something important to him, do you really see him trading that in yet? A good Champions League will likely open more doors to even more interesting projects if he is so inclined. 

Rodgers came as no surprise such is the type of character he is, Ange I just can’t see it and if being honest I really hope not 

Edited by Jinky67

5 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Ok if we are being serious then, Ange comes across very much as a principled football man are you of the opinion that now is the right time? Managing in the Champions League seems to be something important to him, do you really see him trading that in yet? A good Champions League will likely open more doors to even more interesting projects if he is so inclined. 

Rodgers came as no surprise such is the type of character he is, Ange I just can’t see it and if being honest I really hope not 

My opinion is that Brighton won’t make an approach for Postecoglu and will look elsewhere.

If they do approach I’d be surprised if he left however he surprised people before by leaving the National team before the World Cup.