The Celtic All Seasons thread

1 hour ago, BigDoddyKane said:

Jota looks to be hitting form again early this season, hopefully that continues. Abada looks to be continuing his from from 2nd half of last season.  CB's playing well and scoring. Signs are good, it will be some test the champions league for this team and way we play it could go any way but by feck I am looking forward to it.

This team is a joy to watch.

Whoever says that money can't buy happiness should read this joyful post. This gentleman is a cheering, smiling, shouting, jumping up and down repudiation of the sour notion that financial muscle and it's ceaseless and ruthless application somehow devalues success. What arrant wishy washy wokery nonsense that is !!

1 hour ago, kennie makevin said:

Whoever says that money can't buy happiness should read this joyful post. This gentleman is a cheering, smiling, shouting, jumping up and down repudiation of the sour notion that financial muscle and it's ceaseless and ruthless application somehow devalues success. What arrant wishy washy wokery nonsense that is !!

Equally joyous as to how it triggers you.

4 hours ago, BigDoddyKane said:

Jota looks to be hitting form again early this season, hopefully that continues. Abada looks to be continuing his from from 2nd half of last season.  CB's playing well and scoring. Signs are good, it will be some test the champions league for this team and way we play it could go any way but by feck I am looking forward to it.

This team is a joy to watch.

Do you think he’ll make the Portugal World Cup squad or did he wave goodbye to his international hopes when he moved to Scotland ?

53 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Do you think he’ll make the Portugal World Cup squad or did he wave goodbye to his international hopes when he moved to Scotland ?

I don’t think he would have expected to have made that squad no matter where he played considering he is uncapped at that level and they have already tons of options such as Leao, Diogo Jota, Quaresma, Martins etc etc.

7 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

I don’t think he would have expected to have made that squad no matter where he played considering he is uncapped at that level and they have already tons of options such as Leao, Diogo Jota, Quaresma, Martins etc etc.

Quaresma has retired from international football has he not ?

But when you mention those other guys fair enough as he’s miles behind them quality wise and they are playing at a higher level domestically.

Maybe he will get the opportunity in the future ?

7 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Quaresma has retired from international football has he not ?

But when you mention those other guys fair enough as he’s miles behind them quality wise and they are playing at a higher level domestically.

Maybe he will get the opportunity in the future ?

Has he? Quite possible to be fair he must be getting on a bit now.

He has the perfect opportunity with the Champions League coming up to show what he can do so hopefully he does well and gets an opportunity in the future but this years World Cup would be too soon imo

Edited by Jinky67

6 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

Im just basing it on the football alone, the money in the game is another topic and Ive said plenty on that before about ideas Id agree with how to make it more fair 

Edited by BigDoddyKane

3 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

Has he? Quite possible to be fair he must be getting on a bit now.

He has the perfect opportunity with the Champions League coming up to show what he can do so hopefully he does well and gets an opportunity in the future but this years World Cup would be too soon imo

Aye he’s 38 now - last cap in 2018.

Some player in his day.

10 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Do you think Scottish football is better than the Portuguese game? 

In my opinion it’s not no. The Portuguese league was represented by 2 clubs in the last 16 of last seasons Champions League and 1 in the last 8 + 2 teams in the last 16 of the Europa League again 1 making it to the last 8 last season whereas we only had 1 club in the knock out stages of the top 2 European competitions.

Even historically they’ve had 4 European Cup wins and 5 runners up whereas we’ve had 1 and 1 with their last win in the tournament 36 years more recent than our only win.

You also see a lot more players transferring directly from the Portuguese league to elite clubs than you do from Scotland.

Obviously the above is just my own opinion but I think, at the moment, it’s a better league than ours.

2 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

In my opinion it’s not no. The Portuguese league was represented by 2 clubs in the last 16 of last seasons Champions League and 1 in the last 8 + 2 teams in the last 16 of the Europa League again 1 making it to the last 8 last season whereas we only had 1 club in the knock out stages of the top 2 European competitions.

Even historically they’ve had 4 European Cup wins and 5 runners up whereas we’ve had 1 and 1 with their last win in the tournament 36 years more recent than our only win.

You also see a lot more players transferring directly from the Portuguese league to elite clubs than you do from Scotland.

Obviously the above is just my own opinion but I think, at the moment, it’s a better league than ours.

I think Portugal has similarities to Scotland with the bigger and better neighbour next door plus both countries have massive clubs and fan bases.
Comparing leagues is pretty foolish, Jota's goal against Leverkusen proves he can play at a higher level,whether he is picked or not doesn't mean hes a bad player or good enough player to go,Celtic are a better team now than last season plus we are better with Jota in the team,we could take a sore one in the champions league but we could also take a decent scalp because of the way Ange sets up his team.

6 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I think Portugal has similarities to Scotland with the bigger and better neighbour next door plus both countries have massive clubs and fan bases.
Comparing leagues is pretty foolish, Jota's goal against Leverkusen proves he can play at a higher level,whether he is picked or not doesn't mean hes a bad player or good enough player to go,Celtic are a better team now than last season plus we are better with Jota in the team,we could take a sore one in the champions league but we could also take a decent scalp because of the way Ange sets up his team.

You asked my opinion and I gave you it.

1 goal against Leverkusen doesn’t prove someone can play at a higher level however I think Jota could as he looks a very good player. I was surprised he signed for Celtic tbh however you can only go where your options are.

We’ve seen with Bassey that Europe is where Scottish based players can really prove their quality and increase their value. The Champions League needs to be Jota’s playground this season and he has the comfort of knowing he has at least 6 games there.

Will he got to Qatar ? Like Jinky I very much doubt it however if he plays very well in the Champions League and Portugal pick up a couple of injuries then you never know.

10 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Yeah, I don't think there is any debate that the Portuguese league is seen as a better league, and rightly so. However, I don't think there is that much of a gap between the better teams in each nation. It's maybe when you go down the league a bit you'd see the difference (with no disrespect intended to non-Rangers or Celtic fans).

Taking into account recent results we've had against Portuguese opposition, it reads fairly well: a home win and an away draw against Porto in 19/20. A home and an away win against Braga in the same season. 2 draws against Benfica in 20/21 and then an away loss and a home win against Braga last season.

And while Celtic maybe haven't had as much success on that front as we have recently, I'd fully expect this current side to be more than competitive against any of those sides we have faced.

If you dropped Rangers and Celtic into the Portuguese league I'd expect the Portuguese teams to win the league maybe 8 or 9 times out of 10 but I don't think it's that big a leap in quality.

I suppose in the context of the Jota debate, if he was playing in Portugal he'd get more recognition playing week in week out domestically, whereas playing in Scotland I think European performances would definitely carry more weight, as you suggested.

Edited by AJF

3 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

You asked my opinion and I gave you it.

1 goal against Leverkusen doesn’t prove someone can play at a higher level however I think Jota could as he looks a very good player. I was surprised he signed for Celtic tbh however you can only go where your options are.

We’ve seen with Bassey that Europe is where Scottish based players can really prove their quality and increase their value. The Champions League needs to be Jota’s playground this season and he has the comfort of knowing he has at least 6 games there.

Will he got to Qatar ? Like Jinky I very much doubt it however if he plays very well in the Champions League and Portugal pick up a couple of injuries then you never know.

What i'm saying was Celtic came up short last season and now we're better for it but the champions league is another level to jump,the experience of last season will help this group of players.
Historically Spain,Germany,Italy and England win this competition the rest have had small periods of success, I consider Celtic can be as good as the dutch sides or the Portuguese sides with my optimistic view.     

7 minutes ago, AJF said:

I suppose in the context of the Jota debate, if he was playing in Portugal he'd get more recognition playing week in week out domestically, whereas playing in Scotland I think European performances would definitely carry more weight, as you suggested

For me that is down to your own perception M8, whether Portugal is considered a better league or not we're playing in the same competition, 3 finals in the last 20 years is not bad for this underestimated wee country. 

2 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

For me that is down to your own perception M8, whether Portugal is considered a better league or not we're playing in the same competition, 3 finals in the last 20 years is not bad for this underestimated wee country. 

I don't think it's my own perception. Without having facts available, I'd hazard a guess that a higher ratio of players will be signed from Portugal by top 5 leagues and elite level clubs than in comparison to Scotland. 3 finals in the last 20 years isn't bad for Scotland, I just think it's undeniable that you'll get a lot more recognition and credit playing in Portugal rather than Scotland.