The Celtic All Seasons thread

9 minutes ago, Henrik's tongue said:

Folk propably don’t have an issue with it, correct. Some Rangers fans do.
I agree no one should care. 

Fair enough, but it is a bit tedious to see accusations of anti Irish racism flying about when folk are saying ‘that Irish carry on Celtic fans take around the country every week is a bit much, isn’t it?’

1 minute ago, Henrik's tongue said:

You boiled his point down to “Scottish person getting bullied by another Scottish person” It’s not really that simple is it. If you’re more Irish than Clown Job and I, I have friends who are more English(or Scottish)  than you who get called “Feenyin” because of their surnames

I’m going to take a wild guess here. You’re Irish heritage is from Northern Ireland  isn’t it?

I’m Scottish. I don’t want be part of Britain. Hopefully in my lifetime my children and I won’t be. When people ask where I was born I don’t say Britain. When I’m abroad if a nice foreign person asks where I’m from I don’t say Britain. Most forms I fill in have Scotland as on option on the country list.

I’m fucking Scottish, capice? ;) 

^^^ and Italian obv.

Why on earth would that bother them then? The person insulting them is obviously being an idiotic bigot. That doesn't mean you should equate people slagging off your club with Irish racism imo. 

Your wild guess is incorrect. My grandparents on one side are from the South of Ireland, one Catholic and one Protestant and my mother was raised partly in Ireland and suffered actual racist abuse when growing up in England.

I've said you can identify how you want. You might even get your wish sometime in the future! 

Anyway I'll leave you guys to enjoy your thread in peace! 

30 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Well, this is the relevant point isn’t it. You’re both guilty of ramming your respective associations down everyone’s throat. 

That’s what people have an issue with, not with the fact that they have Irish heritage or celebrate it. Because seriously who cares? 

Nobody is asking you to care and nobody is ramming it down your throat 

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Fair enough, but it is a bit tedious to see accusations of anti Irish racism flying about when folk are saying ‘that Irish carry on Celtic fans take around the country every week is a bit much, isn’t it?’

The latter is far more frequent and therefore surely more tedious.

9 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

Why on earth would that bother them then? The person insulting them is obviously being an idiotic bigot. That doesn't mean you should equate people slagging off your club with Irish racism imo. 

Your wild guess is incorrect. My grandparents on one side are from the South of Ireland, one Catholic and one Protestant and my mother was raised partly in Ireland and suffered actual racist abuse when growing up in England.

I've said you can identify how you want. You might even get your wish sometime in the future! 

Anyway I'll leave you guys to enjoy your thread in peace! 

One thing we can agree on entirely is that racist abuse is fucking abhorrent and that is awful that that happened to your Mother.

Those English bast….. Nah, never mind ;) 

Edited by Henrik's tongue

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

Sure, insular wee Celtic just keep themselves to themselves. 

So when I and other people like me receive abuse for our names… it’s because we are ramming it down peoples throat?

Is seeing a flag ramming it down your throat also?

3 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

So when I and other people like me receive abuse for our names… it’s because we are ramming it down peoples throat?

No. 

Im not condoning or excusing real life examples of anti Irish bigotry. 

But folk mentioning ireland in the context of Celtic is not necessarily an example of it. 

Edited by Dons_1988

1 hour ago, kennie makevin said:

Yes indeed, ask Asian Scots about abuse for their surname but racist vermin are racist vermin and they are indiscriminate in their attacks.  That, I'm sure, we can agree on.

giphy.gif

12 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

No. 

Im not condoning or excusing real life examples of anti Irish bigotry. 

But folk mentioning ireland in the context of Celtic is not necessarily an example of it. 

You might be surprised to hear a lot of the abuse happens outwith a football or Celtic context

A sizeable number of people in Scotland have a real hatred and distain for others with an Irish or catholic background, and it’s certainly not confined to the west coast as some like to pretend 

I’ve said it before, I’m not Irish, but I’ll get abused for it still 

Because of my name I’m never quite fully Scottish for some in this country.

So I can 100% understand why someone with an Irish background will embrace that part of their culture.

Edited by Clown Job

4 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

You might be surprised to hear a lot of the abuse happens outwith a football or Celtic context

A sizeable number of people in Scotland have a real hatred and distain for others with an Irish or catholic background, and it’s certainly not confined to the west coast as some like to pretend 

I’m not going to doubt what you say, I’ll be honest and say I don’t see this version of Scotland you talk about. I can’t think of one incident of anti Irish bigotry I’ve witnessed. I’m not saying it doesn’t happen, but that’s just my experience. And believe me when I say I find those incidents beyond me, if and when they do happen.  

But in saying all of that, you are continually sidetracking the point being made that people can have a view on Celtic fans expression of Irish heritage without having an inherent hatred for Ireland or Scot’s Irish or whatever. 

17 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

I grew up in a pretty staunch neighbourhood. All my neighbourhood pals and seemingly at lest three quarters of the local lads were cream buns. I was about as catholic as can be, and it was no secret either. We went to mass every Sunday, to Carfin for random feast day celebrations and I was also an altar boy. I never heard a peep of sectarian shite come my way for the entirety of my upbringing. Not a bit. I was a known Jags fan, so my catholicism was pretty much irrelevant to them. In fact, weirdly, whenever they would sing Billy Boys after a title/old firm win they'd put their arm around me and expect me to fucking join in, as they knew I didn't like Celtic either. I know this is just anecdotal evidence, but I haven't heard of sectarian or anti-irish abuse outwith the context of Old Firm rivalry.

I honestly think that the sectarianism we have in this country is now completely separate from the religions it purports to involve. It's a divide tied up in the social identity of being a fan of either Celtic or Rangers and is honestly just a source of vexation to those practising catholics and protestants (all 57 varieties) who have no truck with either team.

4 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

Yes indeed, ask Asian Scots about abuse for their surname but racist vermin are racist vermin and they are indiscriminate in their attacks.  That, I'm sure, we can agree on.

I’m Asian Scots with an Irish surname, what do I win? 

11 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I think you’ll find that they all play their home matches in Wales and identify as being Welsh.

True, but it's also true they play half their games in English stadiums against English teams in multiple English competitions governed by the English Football Association. 

They take up English spots in European competitions.

They are unable to/have chosen not to compete in Welsh competitions.

4 minutes ago, stressball said:

New season can't come quick enough 

I said this in another thread but not having qualifiers is going to be very strange and a slow summer now. Im surprised we haven’t ended up at a round robin tournament like we used to for some extra cash and the chance to go against higher end teams before the group stages.

42 minutes ago, Luddite said:

True, but it's also true they play half their games in English stadiums against English teams in multiple English competitions governed by the English Football Association. 

They take up English spots in European competitions.

They are unable to/have chosen not to compete in Welsh competitions.

You do realise that all of that has absolutely zero to do with anything. 

On 16/05/2022 at 09:30, kingjoey said:

I’m genuinely interested to learn which other football clubs identify more with a different country than the one their club play in.

It's a response to this statement.  They play in England. 

If you wanted to be pedantic about it you should have stated ".....a different country than the one their stadium is located in."