The Celtic All Seasons thread

1 minute ago, Clown Job said:

Nope 

But unfortunately I’ve suffered plenty of abused from people who believe I am based on my name.

So I do sympathise with people who are or have Irish heritage. 

Okay thanks for the response. Sorry to hear that. 

As someone with Irish heritage I'm glad where I live doesn't really have such issues like the west coast of Scotland, only abuse I ever got was because I'm English. 

I do think the other poster KingJoey is likely more bemused at the idea of flying a foreign flag rather than a gammon type that's irritated by the mere sight of a tricolour though. 

1 hour ago, Clown Job said:

Never fails to amaze me how upset people get over seeing an Irish flag in this country.

Now that is pathetic and embarrassing 

No one is upset by the Irish flag 

People are just slightly bemused (most likely the actual ordinary people of Ireland ) by Celtic ultras and their “going to war under it” battle cry for a Scottish cup semi final . 

3 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I'm pretty sure Hibs gave us a few players for our first game so not just a Glesga thing M8 Plus football is not just a Scottish thing.

sorry for off topic  (as someone living close to Renton I've read a bit about them....hence the below) 

Hibs didn't "give" Celtic any players for the first game, they were essentially stolen. The entire first team were taken from other well established teams, without payment (which wasn't officially allowed, anyway) or permission. Some even went back to play a few more times for there officially registered teams.

Celtic were one of original purveyors of brown envelopes and (Sh)amateurism (early EBTs even) to hide professional payments, targeting the best Irish players and those with Irish backgrounds. So much so, Renton considered not training anymore "Irish" players that could potentially be stolen anyway by Celtic. (well before the other side initiated their bigoted ban). Renton's two best players were in the first Celtic team.

Celticwiki - James Kelly - here was a working class man from Renton who was suddenly able to buy multiple pubs, one for £650 in the 1890s. The majority of people now in the area still wouldn't be able to raise that money unfortunately.

If You Know Your History and all that...

1 hour ago, Forever_blueco said:

No one is upset by the Irish flag 

People are just slightly bemused (most likely the actual ordinary people of Ireland ) by Celtic ultras and their “going to war under it” battle cry for a Scottish cup semi final . 

Sure of course that’s the reason

Next you’ll be telling me it’s a total coincidence your commentator made a snide remark about a 17 year old decision to play for Ireland. 

1 hour ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

Okay thanks for the response. Sorry to hear that. 

As someone with Irish heritage I'm glad where I live doesn't really have such issues like the west coast of Scotland, only abuse I ever got was because I'm English. 

I do think the other poster KingJoey is likely more bemused at the idea of flying a foreign flag rather than a gammon type that's irritated by the mere sight of a tricolour though. 

I’d rather be Irish than English tbh :whistle

Just kidding. My favourite band/singer  are English and one of my favourite writers was also English. 

Guid c***s imo. 

6 minutes ago, Henrik's tongue said:

I’d rather be Irish than English tbh :whistle

Just kidding. My favourite band/singer  are English and one of my favourite writers was also English. 

Guid c***s imo. 

Tom English....and he's Irish, what's not to love !!!

24 minutes ago, Forever_blueco said:

Genesis / Phil collins fan IMO 

A song written by my favourite singer containing a Phil Collins reference:

It's 11am
It's blue, upon blue in the sky
But everyone around agrees
Oh, Phil Collins, Phil Collins must die

A white T shirt and faded jeans
Just, just an ordinary guy
But prisoner to his Tax returns
Oh, Phil Collins, Phil Collins must die

2 hours ago, Henrik's tongue said:

My great grandparents moved here from the ROI and my second name sounds very Scandinavian.

Get it up yeez any way!

Did they move to Dundee?

3 hours ago, Henrik's tongue said:

My great grandparents moved here from the ROI and my second name sounds very Scandinavian.

Get it up yeez any way!

36 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Did they move to Dundee?

17 minutes ago, Henrik's tongue said:

Nah I think they were skint, mate and not insane ;) 

See the source image

No the green brigade asked to make a tifo of one big tricolor but were refused because it may cause offence on Easter Sunday
So they gave them out free at the turnstiles M8.

It actually looked fantastic when the teams came out. The whole stadium tbf but I do love when there’s hundreds of flags getting waved [emoji3]

1 minute ago, Henrik's tongue said:

I still dinnae get it to be honest, JG. Am I being thick?

The RoI didn't come into being until 1949.

For your great grandparents to have emigrated from it they must have started having children about 5 years of age (hence the reference to Dundee), and your grandparents at about 10, as I understand you are about 40.

(Having to explain a "joke" in such detail is never a good idea...)