The Celtic All Seasons thread

9 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Didn’t realise Dundee had an option to bin Griffiths in January. He’s actually managed to get less fit judging by his pop belly on Sportscene. Would imagine a pay off and a championship team awaits him.

Clyde would be a good fit. 

2 hours ago, gannonball said:

Didn’t realise Dundee had an option to bin Griffiths in January. He’s actually managed to get less fit judging by his pop belly on Sportscene. Would imagine a pay off and a championship team awaits him.

I still can’t believe we gave him a new contract at the start of the season. 

Even if it was only for a season 

31 and still unfit, the guy never took the professional side of being a professional footballer seriously 

Even Lennon would criticise his fitness 

15 minutes ago, Joe Terrapin said:

Think theres a real risk of Celtic's signing policy biting them on the arse and I sincerely hope it does. May start off well but there will be a clique in that dressing room and other players will resent their presence. Recipe for disaster. lovely

Ye, same thing happened when we had Dembele, Edouard and Ntcham in the team, absolute disaster. 

One thing that should be observed: buying loads of foreign players from a league because your manager worked their once and you once signed a player from that league who was decent is extremely good process with a very high success rate. 

28 minutes ago, Joe Terrapin said:

Think theres a real risk of Celtic's signing policy biting them on the arse and I sincerely hope it does. May start off well but there will be a clique in that dressing room and other players will resent their presence. Recipe for disaster. lovely

There’s always cliques in most working environments . Kyogo however seems to want to be part of the team/bench even when injured and still learning the language. He will still be our talisman so can only bode well for us really.

Edited by gannonball

20 minutes ago, G51 said:

One thing that should be observed: buying loads of foreign players from a league because your manager worked their once and you once signed a player from that league who was decent is extremely good process with a very high success rate. 

100% success rate so far, plus working in the J league for 3 years gives him a decent insight to the players abilities, more than you suggest with ‘because your manager worked their once’.

In Ange we trust. 

2 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

100% success rate so far, plus working in the J league for 3 years gives him a decent insight to the players abilities, more than you suggest with ‘because your manager worked their once’.

In Ange we trust. 

Pedro Caixinha spent 3 years working in Liga MX, giving him a decent insight into the abilities of Carlos Peña and Eduardo Herrera. 

Who knows, maybe all three turn out to be great. It’s bad process though.

It’ll be very interesting to see how quickly the new Japanese boys adapt (if at all) to scottish fitba.
If indeed they start as brightly as Kyogo has done since his move you have to then wonder the mentality of some of our other fringe players, those that can’t quite keep their place in the first team.
Some have that ability to perform and progress at another level, sadly others don’t.

26 minutes ago, Greenlantern said:

It’ll be very interesting to see how quickly the new Japanese boys adapt (if at all) to scottish fitba.
If indeed they start as brightly as Kyogo has done since his move you have to then wonder the mentality of some of our other fringe players, those that can’t quite keep their place in the first team.
Some have that ability to perform and progress at another level, sadly others don’t.

I’ve done a bit of reading on Japanese football over time via 442 and this is the biggest scale that a European team have brought in Japanese players ever. Teams in Albania, Portugal and Finland have had 3 before but even then they were not all regulars in the first team.

Obviously bringing in 4 at once has its advantages as the players will feel less isolated and given that the 3 recent signings have known for some time they are moving to Celtic, you’d hope they have already learned some English - the basics anyway.

I’d also expect given their ages, they are coming to be part of the first team and will play regularly which will also help as if their football is going well you’d expect them to settle in quicker as ultimately that’s why they are here.

I’ve done a bit of reading on Japanese football over time via 442 and this is the biggest scale that a European team have brought in Japanese players ever. Teams in Albania, Portugal and Finland have had 3 before but even then they were not all regulars in the first team.
Obviously bringing in 4 at once has its advantages as the players will feel less isolated and given that the 3 recent signings have known for some time they are moving to Celtic, you’d hope they have already learned some English - the basics anyway.
I’d also expect given their ages, they are coming to be part of the first team and will play regularly which will also help as if their football is going well you’d expect them to settle in quicker as ultimately that’s why they are here.

I wasn’t aware it was a first in terms of volume of players at once.
We’ll soon see if this bold move is beneficial for both club and players.

5 hours ago, G51 said:

Pedro Caixinha spent 3 years working in Liga MX, giving him a decent insight into the abilities of Carlos Peña and Eduardo Herrera. 

Who knows, maybe all three turn out to be great. It’s bad process though.

Small snag. Pedro Caixinha is/was/always wil be a fucking imposter. 

5 minutes ago, Greenlantern said:

I wasn’t aware it was a first in terms of volume of players at once.
We’ll soon see if this bold move is beneficial for both club and players.

Wacker Innsbruck also have 4 but 2 are only signed to their ‘B’ team. 

Also, Sint-Truden in Belgium have a high turnover Japanese players but are owned by a Japanese company and their clubs policy has been built on integrating Japanese and Belgium cultures for a number of years.

I’m a bit of a bore with this stuff but if you ever have time, it’s quite an interesting read.