The Celtic All Seasons thread

Gutted to hear that. You'd see him near enough every other week standing outside the ground talking to fans. He'd stand there just about all day speaking to folk, just a normal, genuine guy despite being amongst the biggest legends in our history and instantly recognisable to every Celtic fan. What a man.

Edited by Fratelli

My favourite Bertie Auld story was the one he tells about Tiny Wharton.

Bertie : If I call you an arsehole Mr Wharton will I get booked?

Wharton: Yes Mr Auld you would be in trouble

Bertie: What If I just thought you were an arsehole, what would happen?

Wharton: If you just thought it nothing would happen

Bertie: Well then Mr Wharton, I think youre an arsehole

Edited by Jinky67

Also a legend at Birmingham City, and one of the many wonderful things about him was that he never belittled his League Cup triumph with us.   It might have been something of an optional extra for someone with such a powerhouse team as that Celtic nine-in-a-row side.  But he gloried in that as much as any Blue always has done.  And always with a smile.  He was a great half-time interviewee on his visits to St Andrews as well.

Yet for many Blues who were there his greatest moment was the greatest sending-off in Blues history that does not involve Kevin Muscat.  Against Fulham.  For some reason Bertie had riled Johnny Haynes, otherwise mild-mannered, to the extent that Haynes swung a punch at him.  Obviously Haynes was not au fait with Bertie's inner steel.  He soon was. By the time the referee came over to send Haynes off, Haynes was lying unconscious.

So too was Maurice Cook, who had come over to assist Haynes.

Bertie glanced at the referee.  "Oh, shall I go as well?"

13 hours ago, bluearmyfaction said:

Also a legend at Birmingham City, and one of the many wonderful things about him was that he never belittled his League Cup triumph with us.   It might have been something of an optional extra for someone with such a powerhouse team as that Celtic nine-in-a-row side.  But he gloried in that as much as any Blue always has done.  And always with a smile.  He was a great half-time interviewee on his visits to St Andrews as well.

Yet for many Blues who were there his greatest moment was the greatest sending-off in Blues history that does not involve Kevin Muscat.  Against Fulham.  For some reason Bertie had riled Johnny Haynes, otherwise mild-mannered, to the extent that Haynes swung a punch at him.  Obviously Haynes was not au fait with Bertie's inner steel.  He soon was. By the time the referee came over to send Haynes off, Haynes was lying unconscious.

So too was Maurice Cook, who had come over to assist Haynes.

Bertie glanced at the referee.  "Oh, shall I go as well?"

Not heard that story before but it doesn't surprise me.

Even as a young follow-follower in the late 60s you knew that -in order to beat Celtic - you had to beat Bertie Auld first.  That didn't happen very often.  He took very few second prizes.

So a Celtic director was forced to apologise to fans today at their AGM after they took exception to his wording in an obituary to Walter Smith… wow.

The questioner asked: "Mr Wilson wrote a nice obituary to Walter Smith in the Guardian recently. 

"In that obituary among other things he said Rangers were punished by demotion.

"Would you like to expand on that, Mr Wilson? Because my memory was that no-one was demoted."