The Celtic All Seasons thread

In the cold light of today, it was a disappointment but its early days for us. Someone mentioned here or another thread Anges first training session was late june and with the new players coming in and young players getting games now. We did well to be getting that much possession away at Ibrox. It is a good sign. 

The things that went wrong missed chances they happen. With Eddy its more hes not 100% focused so a striker brought in to replace him hopefully the Greek cant come soon enough now. 

Christie it seems under any system gives away the ball constantly, Id be happy for him to leave in this window and its clear he wanted to leave so those 2 going makes sense to me. 

Theres an issue in the middle when playing tight games and this system theres a lack of players open to pass to, we saw that yesterday and AZ game but that isnt something im worried about its more a team issue and something can be learnt on the training ground. Also the players still need to gel together with so many changes. We will get a bit better every week.

There was times in yesterdays game when eddy was on I wish Hart had kicked the ball long straight down middle, just to vary it sometimes. 

Now we are building a squad we need to rotate it in the right games, for me the league is all that matters this season. So that the prime focus for what players need to be rested etc. I think a few were running out of steam slightly yesterday who have been playing 2 games a week in a system with that much running.

Overall though going into the international break and looking back to where we were Late June and now. Im well happy with the progress, Its only the start too so thats an even better thought to have.

52 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Filipe Jota from Benfica apparently having his medical today. 1 year loan with an option to buy.

Excited by this one if it goes through, really exciting player which will give us more options in wide areas.

It’ll be interesting to see how Ange shoehorns all the wide players in. If Jota signs that’ll be 5 wide players in Jota, Abada, Forrest, Johnston and Dembele. He’s also got the option to play Furuhashi wide as if the signing of the Greek striker goes through I would imagine he’ll occupy the number 9 position.

Do you think you’ll sign a centre half ? Dane Murray has went from first pick to not even on bench very quickly and Hjelde was allowed to leave for Leeds - or is their a centre half in the younger age groups that could come in ?

17 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

It’ll be interesting to see how Ange shoehorns all the wide players in. If Jota signs that’ll be 5 wide players in Jota, Abada, Forrest, Johnston and Dembele. He’s also got the option to play Furuhashi wide as if the signing of the Greek striker goes through I would imagine he’ll occupy the number 9 position.

Do you think you’ll sign a centre half ? Dane Murray has went from first pick to not even on bench very quickly and Hjelde was allowed to leave for Leeds - or is their a centre half in the younger age groups that could come in ?

I think they way we are looking to play we need that strength in depth in wide areas such is the weight of expectation on them to press high but also come back to defend. You also have to consider that both Forrest and Johnston are extremely injury prone and Abada is only 19. 

We have just brought in the boy Scales from Shamrock who is a centre half who can play left back also so I imagine it means we likely go with Julien when fit and Starfelt with Scales, Welsh, Urgohide and Murray as those that can cover and in that order so I don’t think we will bring anyone else in that position just now and then look at it again in January. 

We need an experienced left back though Taylor, Montgomery, Bolingoli just won’t be good enough. Montgomery may develop into a good long term option but not good enough yet,

We need to try get McCarthy fit also, if he was fit he would have made a massive difference yesterday however that’s a big if 

Edited by Jinky67

5 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

I think they way we are looking to play we need that strength in depth in wide areas such is the weight of expectation on them to press high but also come back to defend. You also have to consider that both Forrest and Johnston are extremely injury prone and Abada is only 19. 

We have just brought in the boy Scales from Shamrock who is a centre half who can play left back also so I imagine it means we likely go with Julien when fit and Starfelt with Scales, Welsh, Urgohide and Murray as those that can cover and in that order so I don’t think we will bring anyone else in that position just now and then look at it again in January. 

We need an experienced left back though Taylor, Montgomery, Bolingoli just won’t be good enough. Montgomery may develop into a good long term option but not good enough yet,

We need to try get McCarthy fit also, if he was fit he would have made a massive difference yesterday however that’s a big if 

You’ve not mentioned Dembele so I’m guessing you think he’s miles away from the first team picture ?

I think you are spot on about the left back mate. Given Ange played a right back out of position on his debut then he’s not going to trust Bolingoli or Montgomery to play there.

McCarthy is a strange on. He’s clearly a good player but there was always the risk, given his injury record, that he’d miss a lot of games.

What I think is a positive is the backing the board have given Ange. Financially, he’s had a lot of money to spend by Scottish standards and McKay very much operates in the background which is very different from how Lawell was.

18 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

You’ve not mentioned Dembele so I’m guessing you think he’s miles away from the first team picture ?

I think you are spot on about the left back mate. Given Ange played a right back out of position on his debut then he’s not going to trust Bolingoli or Montgomery to play there.

McCarthy is a strange on. He’s clearly a good player but there was always the risk, given his injury record, that he’d miss a lot of games.

What I think is a positive is the backing the board have given Ange. Financially, he’s had a lot of money to spend by Scottish standards and McKay very much operates in the background which is very different from how Lawell was.

Dembele is a long term injury so unlikely to figure anytime soon, his rehab period is said to be extensive which would suggest months and not weeks which is a shame because we were all hoping this could be his breakthrough season.

As for transfers we have only spent around 17 million and brought in around 16 million and with Edouard likely to go for a figure of between 15-18 million that will put another 12-14 million back in the kitty once PSG take their cut as they take 40% of the profit and not 40% of the fee as previously reported 

I said at the start of the season we would need to spend around 30 million to get in some quality and beef out the squad. I still think that’s probably still about right but a left back needs to be a priority 

Edited by Jinky67

23 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Dembele is a long term injury so unlikely to figure anytime soon, his rehab period is said to be extensive which would suggest months and not weeks which is a shame because we were all hoping this could be his breakthrough season.

As for transfers we have only spent around 17 million and brought in around 16 million and with Edouard likely to go for a figure of between 15-18 million that will put another 12-14 million back in the kitty once PSG take their cut as they take 40% of the profit and not 40% of the fee as previously reported 

I said at the start of the season we would need to spend around 30 million to get in some quality and beef out the squad. I still think that’s probably still about right but a left back needs to be a priority 

Apologies, what I meant was he’s had a good backing from the board to bring in his own players. Getting a large fee for Ajer who obviously didn’t fit into Ange’s plans was excellent business.

Didn’t appreciate that about Dembele - that is a pity but he’s young and will bounce back.

With regards left back, Scales is 23 and has played European football so surely he’s a first team player ??

17 hours ago, DMCs said:

You passed it around the back aimlessly most of the time. Between the 30th and 80th minute you did very little. I think you've got yourself a good player in Kyogo but ultimately you are still a team in transition and aren't yet on our level. 

With all due respect mate, this is why you work in a call centre and not in football.

Just now, DMCs said:

I see you're still hurting. 

When I made my post 5 mins a go - I said to myself you’d come back with this :lol:

No great intuition on my part - you usually do. Like hunners of times since you joined. 

Just now, Henrik's tongue said:

When I made my post 5 mins a go - I said to myself you’d come back with this :lol:

No great intuition on my part - you usually do. Like hunners of times since you joined. 

You've had an embarrassing week on here.

First you were excessively over confident which is blown up right in your face.

Now you are trying to slag people based on their employment or class position.

A real riddy all round. Not as much of a riddy as Angeball mind.

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

With regards left back, Scales is 23 and has played European football so surely he’s a first team player ??

I think he will be part of the first team for sure, just don't know if he will immediately go in before Welsh. Apologies if i made it seem otherwise. I'll be honest though i haven't seen much of him so will see how he does when he gets here