The Celtic All Seasons thread

1 hour ago, 54_and_counting said:

You may turnover 80mill sometimes, but it costs over 80mill to run the club, eventually downsizing had to happen due to the lack of CL money (the tierney sale of 24mill pretty much broke you even last time out) 

Now you might think the board etc have fucked it due to penny pinching, but the blame surely lies at the manager and the players, the cl defeats suffered the last 4 years have been to teams that the assembled squad and manager should be swatting aside, 

Celtic spent around 20mill last summer, how much the summer before, over 10mill, more probably, the board sanctioned they purchases aye, but who scouted them, indicated they would be good buys, then trained coached and played them in games 

Yes, but the whole culture of failure around the club comes from the leadership IMO.

23 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Its very interesting how fans of a clumpany who have lost money ever since their inception are now telling us that we running our clumpany all wrong despite all our trophies and profits?

I think you'll find it was your own fans saying it first mate.

As a new poster to the forum I was under the impression you lot had your own speshul little sub forum for all this tit-for-tattery.

I clicked onto this thread in a hope to find out a few insights of the current turmoil at Parkhead from some of the more reasonable and erudite Celtic support.

To find chat of whataboutery from 2017 no big surprise from supporters of a club who "55!" seem to have a "55!" for of Tourrettes leaning on total "150 years old!" overcompensation "55!" to kinda "150 years old!" gloss over the big "55!" elephant in the room from 10 years ago.

On the other hand, Celtic have been guilty (despite the financial gulf from everyone else) of celebrating their silverwear success' like a fat uncle who nutmegs a 4 year old at a family back garden barbecue and celebrates the grand achievement like he's scored an overhead kick in the CL final.

You've been hampered by a board which for many who don't care of the inner workings of your club can't fathom the penny pinching, not as if you're short of a bob or two. Going for Deila hobbled you, won a watch with St. Brendan but deep down you all must have known it was only temporary until he rose his stock again for another go at the PL. You missed out on McGinn over buttons, Lennon we'll just whitewash, you took the piss when you sniffed around Carson when you were in a bind in January for keepers and now it looks like history repeating itself with Nisbet.

Where you should focus on (because you both blatantly don't want to be here) is on Europe. You bemoan the lack of a test in the league but do everything to stifle it domestically. Now I can't blame the executive management of a company trying to secure dominance both financially and in the market, they are duty bound to do so. To gain access to Europe you have to win here first. But you have to appreciate this is a sporting contest and most fans of other clubs know we are not he to compete for the title, we merely facilitate you. Our hope limited to is a favourable cup run or bragging rights for a good result from 6 (or 8*) meetings.

A solution? I have no idea, maybe worth a thread of its own, but while half a dozen buses each leave Aberdeenshire, the Highlands, Tayside, and Edinburgh every weekend to either Parkhead or Ibrox then it will not remedy any time soon.

Edited by Kapowzer

1 hour ago, Thorongil said:

Yes, but the whole culture of failure around the club comes from the leadership IMO.

Of course it does, we had the opportunity to essentially put light years between us and the rest of Scottish football when Rodgers was in charge and set our sights on making inroads into Europe.

We didn’t and the board were happy to come 1st in a 2 horse pissing contest and still conspired to make a mess of that.

For people who are obviously successful business people to have such little ambition or foresight blows my mind or maybe it’s just pigheaded arrogance but either way they managed to make a rip roaring c**t of it 

7 hours ago, Thorongil said:

What culture of failure? The fact thay every season since MoN came, celtic have had arguably more than enough squad wise to at least stay in europe till xmas every year, and with the change to the champions path in the CL a while ago, celtic had more than enough in the squad to be qualifying at least 2 out of 3 attempts, the fact that they didnt isnt down to the board who not only sanctioned multi millions of spending every summer, but also sanctioned the clubs running costs to exceed its turnover

Its down to the management, coaches and especially the players 

Celtic owe something like 30mill in transfer fees to be paid (all clubs owe something, thats how its done) it will be more when the new financials come out (same as the rest of us) and like everyone else covid will have smashed your revenue figure big time, doesnt matter how much was sold player wise, the board could have said "nah not a penny spent till we get the figures looking better again" but they didn't,once again they have spent something on top of a squad that already is chunky, 

Maybe its time for the ex management and the ex and current players to say "look we fucked it, not the board" 

6 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

What culture of failure? The fact thay every season since MoN came, celtic have had arguably more than enough squad wise to at least stay in europe till xmas every year, and with the change to the champions path in the CL a while ago, celtic had more than enough in the squad to be qualifying at least 2 out of 3 attempts, the fact that they didnt isnt down to the board who not only sanctioned multi millions of spending every summer, but also sanctioned the clubs running costs to exceed its turnover

Its down to the management, coaches and especially the players 

Celtic owe something like 30mill in transfer fees to be paid (all clubs owe something, thats how its done) it will be more when the new financials come out (same as the rest of us) and like everyone else covid will have smashed your revenue figure big time, doesnt matter how much was sold player wise, the board could have said "nah not a penny spent till we get the figures looking better again" but they didn't,once again they have spent something on top of a squad that already is chunky, 

Maybe its time for the ex management and the ex and current players to say "look we fucked it, not the board" 

This Is all a bit miss leading we run at a profit more often than not, we run at a player trading surplus more often than not. We are also are due 20 million from our own sales too. We have generally been spending within our means but its the penny wise pound foolish attitude that has fucked us over for champions league qualifying by not getting players in sooner.

Basically dragging our heels over a few hundred grand or trying to get by with what we have then kissing goodbye to tens of millions in the process. That for me lies with the board who thought they had enough to keep out of sight domestically and anything after that was seen as a bonus rather than an actual ambition.

16 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Really?  For the run up to season 2017/8 you constantly spammed 'us' and didn't even have a season's thread until goaded in to it.  As you said, in reply to me, in your hapless way:

So, of course, @Thorongilwas absolutely right.  Ra Sellick's current shambles is a direct result of the likes of you obsessing over us while your own club was going down the shitter.

I have must have imagined all these protests that were met with applause around the stadium then.  I must add  there were also other ones too. This ‘obsessed’ stuff is boring shit used on both sides but Im guessing the irony is lost on you going on about it constantly.

image.thumb.png.17bc33c7b048275bdc44e39aee217cf4.png

image.png.6363300bd5ca71a0e98947566c31779c.png

image.png.a766135100c25601d5f0caf436bc2022.png

image.png.5655f1ee8ff3221e15f6efcb41aef665.png

Edited by gannonball

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

This Is all a bit miss leading we run at a profit more often than not, we run at a player trading surplus more often than not. We are also are due 20 million from our own sales too. We have generally been spending within our means but its the penny wise pound foolish attitude that has fucked us over for champions league qualifying by not getting players in sooner.

Basically dragging our heels over a few hundred grand or trying to get by with what we have then kissing goodbye to tens of millions in the process. That for me lies with the board who thought they had enough to keep out of sight domestically and anything after that was seen as a bonus rather than an actual ambition.

You maybe due 20mill from your own sales but the fact is the board have stumped up more than the fans imagine, 

Everyone says get the players in early enough for the CL, but look at the opposition celtic have dropped out to, its not exactly like when they got arsenal etc in the playoffs, the likes of cluj etc, the team celtic were putting out were more than capable of beating 

And living within your means when you require player sales or big euro money is a fucking dodgy one, trust me its shite when it comes back and bites you on the arse, and im not talking about 2012, i seen murray do it twice at us, he forced mcleish to decimate a treble winning team because the income didnt come in, then again in 2009 we basically got humped 

But the squads celtic have had for the euro exits they have produced, thats not on the board, hell even with bad management they players should have been able to stand up and done it themselves, 

To say it all stems from the lack of whatever from the board, when that same board allowed celtic to build up their expenses to 85mill a year and still spent money on the squad is deflecting a shit load of blame from the players and management who shat the bed on numerous occasions 

1 minute ago, 54_and_counting said:

You maybe due 20mill from your own sales but the fact is the board have stumped up more than the fans imagine, 

Everyone says get the players in early enough for the CL, but look at the opposition celtic have dropped out to, its not exactly like when they got arsenal etc in the playoffs, the likes of cluj etc, the team celtic were putting out were more than capable of beating 

And living within your means when you require player sales or big euro money is a fucking dodgy one, trust me its shite when it comes back and bites you on the arse, and im not talking about 2012, i seen murray do it twice at us, he forced mcleish to decimate a treble winning team because the income didnt come in, then again in 2009 we basically got humped 

But the squads celtic have had for the euro exits they have produced, thats not on the board, hell even with bad management they players should have been able to stand up and done it themselves, 

To say it all stems from the lack of whatever from the board, when that same board allowed celtic to build up their expenses to 85mill a year and still spent money on the squad is deflecting a shit load of blame from the players and management who shat the bed on numerous occasions 

The comparison with old Rangers doesn’t really stack up we aren’t racking up obscene debt in the process . Agree however however about Cluj, was absolutely on Lennon, same could be said for Ferencvaros. Maribor,Malmo, Athens and Mijitlyand I lay at the board for failing to act quickly on problematic positions and thinking you can just get by.

42 minutes ago, gannonball said:

The comparison with old Rangers doesn’t really stack up we aren’t racking up obscene debt in the process . Agree however however about Cluj, was absolutely on Lennon, same could be said for Ferencvaros. Maribor,Malmo, Athens and Mijitlyand I lay at the board for failing to act quickly on problematic positions and thinking you can just get by.

The same maribor game that celtic fielded vvd, stokes, kayal, izzaguire, gordon, mcgregor, lustig and commons

The same malmo game that celtic fielded vvd, boyata, brown, gordon, armstrong, griffiths etc

The same Athens game that celtic fielded Gordon, lustig, brown, dembele, mcgregor, griffiths, forrest, sinclair, simunovic, tierney

Because to me that looks like the board had put plenty towards celtic qualifying for the CL, but the players and the manager made a complete arse of it

How much in wages and fees are spent on they 3 celtic teams compared to their opponents, ffs Athens had barkas in goals against you lot

The annual James McCarthy rumours surfacing and seem to be gathering some momentum now he’s he’s available on a free,

I’d normally be against this one but Soro isn’t the answer in that position and McCarthy seems to be never off the treatment table but with the way things are going

Gary Cahill also just left Palace on a free 🤔

Edited by Jinky67

Just now, Clown Job said:

I seem to remember people like Tom telling us we had been overreacting wanting Lennon out…. Or not even in to begin with 

Yeah some of the media are starting to backtrack a little. I saw Stephen McGowan also apologise to fans for calling them entitled when they started protesting last season and now suggesting they maybe weren’t angry enough.