The Celtic All Seasons thread

I started feeling grave concern about the direction and leadership of the club sometime around 2005/2006. I voiced this concern for a few years and became widely reviled for it on the Timternet. 

The way the club has been run is a scandal. We should not be a PLC. We turn over about £80m a year and have less than 500 staff. Appropriate remuneration for a CEO of a company of that scale is about 150k-£200k per annum. Lawwell was pocketing about £3m a year. 

Sporting endeavour was on the backburner. That’s why Martin O’Neill eventually tired and quit. It has been absolute rinse and repeat since as from the high water mark of Seville we have become an absolute backwater of a club. 

The support are largely to blame. Those who didn’t set foot in Celtic Park in the 90s became season ticket holders and they allowed the board carte blanche. Bought of with meaningless trophies and defined by Rangers. As long as we beat them everything was ok. Then Rangers died and we had 9 meaningless seasons of winning everything in a row. 

The club is much, much diminished from what it was. And I hold the support responsible. 

6 hours ago, Thorongil said:

I started feeling grave concern about the direction and leadership of the club sometime around 2005/2006. I voiced this concern for a few years and became widely reviled for it on the Timternet. 

The way the club has been run is a scandal. We should not be a PLC. We turn over about £80m a year and have less than 500 staff. Appropriate remuneration for a CEO of a company of that scale is about 150k-£200k per annum. Lawwell was pocketing about £3m a year. 

Sporting endeavour was on the backburner. That’s why Martin O’Neill eventually tired and quit. It has been absolute rinse and repeat since as from the high water mark of Seville we have become an absolute backwater of a club. 

The support are largely to blame. Those who didn’t set foot in Celtic Park in the 90s became season ticket holders and they allowed the board carte blanche. Bought of with meaningless trophies and defined by Rangers. As long as we beat them everything was ok. Then Rangers died and we had 9 meaningless seasons of winning everything in a row. 

The club is much, much diminished from what it was. And I hold the support responsible. 

This is hilarious, melodramatic drivel. 

1 minute ago, stressball said:

How is it that folk somehow always manage to spin it back to “not being a fan in the 90’s” in some fashion?

Bravo for the mental gymnastics you had to go through to get there.

I’m sorry that you didn’t like my post.

Some of this rings true, however you hold the support responsible for the position we’re currently in?

Tell me, in your opinion, what could the Celtic support have done to continue our dominance after Rodgers bolted?

3 minutes ago, Greenlantern said:

Some of this rings true, however you hold the support responsible for the position we’re currently in?

Tell me, in your opinion, what could the Celtic support have done to continue our dominance after Rodgers bolted?

Lawwell should have been hunted long before Brendan Rodgers. Perhaps during the Mowbray debacle, but time and again he was let off the hook. All he had to do was mag a dig at Rangers at an AGM and the support was delighted with him again. 

He has been an absolute disaster for the club, since day 1. The board needs completely cleared out now and we should no longer be a PLC.

Lawwell should have been hunted long before Brendan Rodgers. Perhaps during the Mowbray debacle, but time and again he was let off the hook. All he had to do was mag a dig at Rangers at an AGM and the support was delighted with him again. 
He has been an absolute disaster for the club, since day 1. The board needs completely cleared out now and we should no longer be a PLC.

Peter Lawwell should’ve been hunted, if you’re blaming the support, be specific what should they have done?

10 minutes ago, Greenlantern said:

Peter Lawwell should’ve been hunted, if you’re blaming the support, be specific what should they have done?

They should have organised and sought his removal, but the overwhelming majority of the support were absolutely fine with him being there and those who spoke out against the board were treated as complete cranks who didn’t have the club’s best interests at heart. 

They should have organised and sought his removal, but the overwhelming majority of the support were absolutely fine with him being there and those who spoke out against the board were treated as complete cranks who didn’t have the club’s best interests at heart. 

So, let’s just disregard one of the most successful periods in the club’s history for a second.
You’re saying this should’ve happened during the Mowbray era?

12 hours ago, Thorongil said:

It's been all down hill since 1967 imo, all the fans fault.

17 minutes ago, Greenlantern said:

So, let’s just disregard one of the most successful periods in the club’s history for a second.
You’re saying this should’ve happened during the Mowbray era?

The 9 in a row was hollow and meaningless. Lawwell filled his pockets to a ridiculous degree and the club has been left in a complete and utter shambles. Shrinking financially and diminishing as a sporting institution. 

but sure, some shiny cups and stuff.

The 9 in a row was hollow and meaningless. Lawwell filled his pockets to a ridiculous degree and the club has been left in a complete and utter shambles. Shrinking financially and diminishing as a sporting institution. 

Well fuckn hell mate, lets all us supporters jump in a hot tub time machine and get this sorted eh?!?

5 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

You are right the way the club is run is a scandal but it’s been that way since 2005.

To say the recent period of success is hollow and meaningless is a take so wild it belongs on the Serengeti being hunted down by a pack of Hyenas

No club ever stays at the top for one reason or another. This era is over due to bad management of the club and a clear lack of ambition but things will inevitably change in our favour such is the way Scottish football ebbs and flows it’s just the timeframe for that to happen is unclear.

I do take issue about your MON comment about him tiring and quit, it’s not as if his wife was da inf a life threatening illness or that. 

16 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

You are right the way the club is run is a scandal but it’s been that way since 2005.

To say the recent period of success is hollow and meaningless is a take so wild it belongs on the Serengeti being hunted down by a pack of Hyenas

No club ever stays at the top for one reason or another. This era is over due to bad management of the club and a clear lack of ambition but things will inevitably change in our favour such is the way Scottish football ebbs and flows it’s just the timeframe for that to happen is unclear.

I do take issue about your MON comment about him tiring and quit, it’s not as if his wife was da inf a life threatening illness or that. 

Yes, that is a fair point, but in his final season it was fairly clear he could not work with Lawwell’s new vision of downsizing.