The Celtic All Seasons thread

Zero. Scottish authorities have agreed they're "exceptional talents who can enhance the Scottish game" though.
One rule for them, another for the rest of us.

Anyone got a list of all these players that have been denied work permits?

The only time I can recall a player being denied one was Jason Scotland at Dundee united, only for your team to swoop in and get him, and a permit.

One rule for them. [emoji23]

31 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Could probably avoid ruining young players careers if the SFA ever actually bothered to enforce work permit rules on players they've signed.

Absolutely fucked if I know how they got them for the two Americans and this Ukranian lad.

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Zero. Scottish authorities have agreed they're "exceptional talents who can enhance the Scottish game" though.

One rule for them, another for the rest of us.

I'm pretty sure they all have European passports otherwise they would have no chance. Perez certainly has one anyway. Its not the SFA that ultimately decide work permits I think anyway.

26 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Agree. Realistically what chance do Gutman, Perez and Shved have of ever being Celtic regulars ??

They should just look at the plights of Ralston, Johnston, Morgan, Miller, Aitchison. Rodgers is a manager that likes to spend big in the hope of buying an almost finished product.

Plights? Ralston got injured for 6 months not long after getting after first getting in to the team. Pretty much the same happened to Johnston too. Now both seem to be getting reasonable game time. Aitchison is still 18 ffs and now on loan. 

We basically hardly ever sign a player permanently who will walk in to our team as our first team players are generally worth a lot more than what we ever pay for players. The likes of Christie, Rogic, Ajer etc took years before ever being considered first team regulars. Add in our own crop like Tierney,Forrest, Mcgregor we do have a good recent history of developing players which must be encouraging to any promising player in our ranks that if you work hard you should get a chance. 

Agree. Realistically what chance do Gutman, Perez and Shved have of ever being Celtic regulars ??

The 2 yanks, probably not a hope in hell of ever seeing them.

Shved, on the other hand, has been capped at every level and is still only 21. Imo he’s def one for the future.

13 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I'm pretty sure they all have European passports otherwise they would have no chance. Perez certainly has one anyway. Its not the SFA that ultimately decide work permits I think anyway.

Plights? Ralston got injured for 6 months not long after getting after first getting in to the team. Pretty much the same happened to Johnston too. Now both seem to be getting reasonable game time. Aitchison is still 18 ffs and now on loan. 

We basically hardly ever sign a player permanently who will walk in to our team as our first team players are generally worth a lot more than what we ever pay for players. The likes of Christie, Rogic, Ajer etc took years before ever being considered first team regulars. Add in our own crop like Tierney,Forrest, Mcgregor we do have a good recent history of developing players which must be encouraging to any promising player in our ranks that if you work hard you should get a chance. 

Ralston is 4th choice RB ? Johnston is now behind the same players he was plus Burke and Weah. Weah is same age as Johnston. Neither will make it as first team regulars and neither will the lads from USA or Ukraine. It’s stock piling.

Ralston is 4th choice RB ? Johnston is now behind the same players he was plus Burke and Weah. Weah is same age as Johnston. Neither will make it as first team regulars and neither will the lads from USA or Ukraine. It’s stock piling.

4th choice?

I think you should concentrate on your own team in future.

Btw Burke and Weah are gone in a few months, as are Toljan, Gamboa, Izzy and Lustig.

8 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I don't see how Ralston is 4th choice right back? He got injured in his last start and has been since I think. He certainly is ahead of Gamboa and the American lads have yet to play a proper game of senior football.The Dortmund lad will be ahead of him for the rest of the season but I don't think we would have signed him if Tierney wasn't injured as he can play left back too. Will be interesting come summer as Lustig may be away, Gamboa will be, and we don't have an agreed fee for Tolijon

Edited by gannonball

1 minute ago, Drew Brees said:

4th choice?

I think you should concentrate on your own team in future.

Btw Burke and Weah are gone in a few months, as are Toljan and Lustig.

Lustig, Toljan and Gamboa before him. Fair point about my own team. Will take that on board.

Only in here as it’s one of the few threads that sometimes actually talks about football. 

Lustig, Toljan and Gamboa before him. Fair point about my own team. Will take that on board.

Only in here as it’s one of the few threads that sometimes actually talks about football. 

I’m sure Gamboa has a long term injury.

All 3 of they players are gone at the end of the season and ralston is only 20. Plenty of time for him.

7 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Was reading this week that after weds game we’ve had 293 corners this season in all comps, today we got 7, so from a total of 300 corners we’ve scored from 3. A 1% success rate. Woeful.

Corners used to be our most potent weapon in Europe during MON days. Was also pretty potent under Strachan with Naka in. Since then its been pretty dire where I rarely get excited for any corner at all. We will struggle to match teams technically in Europe so corners is something we should be working on all the time with well worked set pieces.

McGregor cant mix corners up at all so I'm glad Christie has burst in to the team and can take them too.  Strange how Corners seems to be scored less these days in football as a whole.

On 03/02/2019 at 15:49, gannonball said:

Corners used to be our most potent weapon in Europe during MON days. Was also pretty potent under Strachan with Naka in. Since then its been pretty dire where I rarely get excited for any corner at all. We will struggle to match teams technically in Europe so corners is something we should be working on all the time with well worked set pieces.

McGregor cant mix corners up at all so I'm glad Christie has burst in to the team and can take them too.  Strange how Corners seems to be scored less these days in football as a whole.

I once read an excellent Jonathan Wilson article (that I tried to find for you, but failed) on how crossing was a highly inefficient method of scoring a goal, given how many of them you have to put in before a cross is scored. It was written at the time of Barcelona's ascendency (2010-ish) and pointed out the fact that they rarely put crosses in (or corners for that matter).

Given England's success at the WC, with all but 1 or 2 goals coming from set-pieces, you'd think that Celtic would aim for that. It doesn't seem to be Rodgers' philosophy though, having muscular forwards who are good in the air. 

2 hours ago, velo army said:

I once read an excellent Jonathan Wilson article (that I tried to find for you, but failed) on how crossing was a highly inefficient method of scoring a goal, given how many of them you have to put in before a cross is scored. It was written at the time of Barcelona's ascendency (2010-ish) and pointed out the fact that they rarely put crosses in (or corners for that matter).

I've always found articles like that completely ignore the fact 99% of clubs won't create nearly as many chances as Barcelona if you take away crosses from them.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I've always found articles like that completely ignore the fact 99% of clubs won't create nearly as many chances as Barcelona if you take away crosses from them.

Amazing, your insight is truly amazing.

Have a like, on me.