The Celtic All Seasons thread

1 minute ago, AW saint said:

Any chance Mikey Johnston will be allowed to go on loan now

Not sure, but we do have Kundai Benyu you can borrow if you would like.  Plays a similar position, is a full internationalist, a couple of years more experienced, what's not to like*

*apart from him being not all that good

12 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I named 12 players in my first post but left out another 16 players that get regular game time in the first 11 it's these 16 players that we need to improve on,eg dembele,tierney,brown,boyata,eduard,rogic,griffith,lustig,sinclair,forrest,gordon,mcgregor,jozo,ajer,ntcham,hendry,

My count has 29 players that are "first team" players currently.  This includes Calvin Miller though, who will be bumped down the pecking order once Emilio's return is confirmed.  For a club like Celtic who play a lot of games that's not entirely unreasonable.

31 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

My count has 29 players that are "first team" players currently.  This includes Calvin Miller though, who will be bumped down the pecking order once Emilio's return is confirmed.  For a club like Celtic who play a lot of games that's not entirely unreasonable.

It's not the case of numbers it's improving quantity into quality?I had miller in my first 12 players missed out benyu. 

I've not followed the thread but is there any reason, other than money, that McGinn ended up at Villa and not Celtic?

They were the only suitors for what seemed like months and looked like they wanted to get him on the cheap. Are Celtic in a position where they can't afford £4m, or whatever the figure actually is, for a player who is clearly worth it?

1 minute ago, Buddist Monk said:

I've not followed the thread but is there any reason, other than money, that McGinn ended up at Villa and not Celtic?

They were the only suitors for what seemed like months and looked like they wanted to get him on the cheap. Are Celtic in a position where they can't afford £4m, or whatever the figure actually is, for a player who is clearly worth it?

I don't think it was a case of Celtic not being able to afford 4m as much as it was a case of the board not being willing to spend 4m. 

14 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

I don't think it was a case of Celtic not being able to afford 4m as much as it was a case of the board not being willing to spend 4m. 

Yeah, actually that's what I should have said. "not willing" not "not able". The question you have to ask is considering how undervalued the Scottish market is, why were they so reluctant to spend that sort of money for a player clearly worth it? They were happy enough to argue a £7m fee for Armstrong and while it's not a like for like, it's certainly similar.

I am not slagging them for this, their signing policy is of no real concern for me, and as a buddy I'm obviously happy he went for as much as he did.

12 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Yeah, actually that's what I should have said. "not willing" not "not able". The question you have to ask is considering how undervalued the Scottish market is, why were they so reluctant to spend that sort of money for a player clearly worth it? They were happy enough to argue a £7m fee for Armstrong and while it's not a like for like, it's certainly similar.

I am not slagging them for this, their signing policy is of no real concern for me, and as a buddy I'm obviously happy he went for as much as he did.

I have no problem with hibs holding out for as much as possible for the player but Celtic paid 4.5 for ntcham when the English transfer window slams shut today Celtic could get a better player than Mcginn in the next 3 weeks so i wouldn't point the finger just yet.

5 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I have no problem with hibs holding out for as much as possible for the player but Celtic paid 4.5 for ntcham when the English transfer window slams shut today Celtic could get a better player than Mcginn in the next 3 weeks so i wouldn't point the finger just yet.

That may or may not be the case, but I doubt they will do so for the price you could have got McGinn for.

I would also question the logic that you will find it easier to deal with English clubs once the window shuts (for them) than when it's open (and they can get replacements).

7 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

That may or may not be the case, but I doubt they will do so for the price you could have got McGinn for.

I would also question the logic that you will find it easier to deal with English clubs once the window shuts (for them) than when it's open (and they can get replacements).

I don't think Celtic will be shopping down south for players, the transfer market has gone too insane down there so there is no way to get good value for money.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Celtic bring in players from European leagues that still have some sense financially, either Eastern European, Scandinavian, or maybe Belgium and Netherlands.

3 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

I don't think Celtic will be shopping down south for players, the transfer market has gone too insane down there so there is no way to get good value for money.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Celtic bring in players from European leagues that still have some sense financially, either Eastern European, Scandinavian, or maybe Belgium and Netherlands.

Possibly.

I'm not getting at Celtic here, they've recruited well in the past and I'm sure they will in the future. Just seems odd the board refused to go for a player that is settled in Scotland, has a record in Scotland, is improving and is worth the money Hibs were asking for and, going by all reports, is a player Rodgers wanted. He wouldn't have broken the bank, nor the wage structure and would have fitted right into the style Celtic play. Just seems a little odd, that's all.

Just now, Buddist Monk said:

Possibly.

I'm not getting at Celtic here, they've recruited well in the past and I'm sure they will in the future. Just seems odd the board refused to go for a player that is settled in Scotland, has a record in Scotland, is improving and is worth the money Hibs were asking for and, going by all reports, is a player Rodgers wanted. He wouldn't have broken the bank, nor the wage structure and would have fitted right into the style Celtic play. Just seems a little odd, that's all.

I agree with you on the McGinn front, I think he's worth 4m even in the last year of his contract.  I get trying to make sure Celtic don't over spend but we have money in the bank, we can afford to be a little less cheap for players

25 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Clubs down south are bursting with players,managers will assess their 25 man squad and loan and sell the ones they don't want,i'm sure there is a few gems kicking about.

1 minute ago, senorsoupe said:

Unlikely, although Peter and Brendan's relationship seems to have been switched to "it's complicated"

Come on now lads face facts. This is a crisis. A large crisis. In fact, if you got a moment, it's a twelve-storey crisis with a magnificent entrance hall, carpeting throughout, 24-hour portage, and an enormous sign on the roof, saying 'This Is a Large Crisis'.

5 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Come on now lads face facts. This is a crisis. A large crisis. In fact, if you got a moment, it's a twelve-storey crisis with a magnificent entrance hall, carpeting throughout, 24-hour portage, and an enormous sign on the roof, saying 'This Is a Large Crisis'.

wibble

12 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Unlikely, although Peter and Brendan's relationship seems to have been switched to "it's complicated"

The smooth, problem free, two year journey with Brendan at the helm, comes to a shuddering halt. Shame.