The Celtic All Seasons thread

27 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I thought Kennedy would have taken the opportunity to give him game time. He looks an excellent footballer but agree that he is very lightweight.

Do you think Kennedy will blood some young players ? Seems pointless picking Brown in the first team again ??

He should have done that weeks back imo. Loan players etc that we are never signing should also be also used sparingly as well as those definitely leaving . We are basically just treading water right now rather than using the dead rubbers to our advantage to experiment.

12 minutes ago, gannonball said:

He should have done that weeks back imo. Loan players etc that we are never signing should also be also used sparingly as well as those definitely leaving . We are basically just treading water right now rather than using the dead rubbers to our advantage to experiment.

Makes sense mate. I’d have thought giving guys like Henderson and Coffey would have been more beneficial than loaning them out. I can’t see the likes of Brown, Laxalt playing again.

Celtic fan that I work with is of the opinion that Lawwell, Desmond, Celtic PLC stakeholders et al. have purposely under spent over the past couple of seasons, with the aim of allowing Rangers to creep slightly closer towards a challenge, but at the same time still winning the league and hoovering up the Champions League spot. Obviously, if that was their aim, they have failed miserably this season, but I can see some merit to his points. 

Allowing a player like John McGinn to slip through their fingers as they argued over a couple of hundred grand looks to be sheer incompetence, a blind man could have seen the quality McGinn possessed and he was as good a ready made replacement for Scott Brown you were ever likely to find. The fact that a couple of years later they ended up spending a similar amount on the transfer fee of Barkas, who is being kept out the team by Scott fucking Bain, is quite hilarious. McGinn is now a standout in a mid table EPL team and by all accounts has a transfer value numerous multiples of what Celtic were unwilling to pay. According to this guy, Celtic also had Ivan Toney sitting in the boardroom at Celtic Park with the guy ready to sign. They had agreed a transfer fee but penny pinched when trying to agree personal terms, Toney walked out and soon after signed for Brentford. He’s now the top scorer in the Championship and widely touted for a move into the EPL for big money, while Celtic signed Ajeti for a similar fee, who has looked average to say the least. 

Were the Celtic board afraid of pulling too far infront of Rangers that it got to the stage the fans became uninterested, the same way they did when Rangers weren’t in the Premiership? You were lucky if there was 20k inside Parkhead for run of the mill league games, and part of the stadium was closed due to lack of attendance. I’m not sure I agree that they have purposely went out their way to allow Rangers to challenge them, but it has to be said that they are some truly baffling decisions made by the Celtic board. 

1 hour ago, IrishBhoy said:

Celtic fan that I work with is of the opinion that Lawwell, Desmond, Celtic PLC stakeholders et al. have purposely under spent over the past couple of seasons, with the aim of allowing Rangers to creep slightly closer towards a challenge, but at the same time still winning the league and hoovering up the Champions League spot. Obviously, if that was their aim, they have failed miserably this season, but I can see some merit to his points. 

Allowing a player like John McGinn to slip through their fingers as they argued over a couple of hundred grand looks to be sheer incompetence, a blind man could have seen the quality McGinn possessed and he was as good a ready made replacement for Scott Brown you were ever likely to find. The fact that a couple of years later they ended up spending a similar amount on the transfer fee of Barkas, who is being kept out the team by Scott fucking Bain, is quite hilarious. McGinn is now a standout in a mid table EPL team and by all accounts has a transfer value numerous multiples of what Celtic were unwilling to pay. According to this guy, Celtic also had Ivan Toney sitting in the boardroom at Celtic Park with the guy ready to sign. They had agreed a transfer fee but penny pinched when trying to agree personal terms, Toney walked out and soon after signed for Brentford. He’s now the top scorer in the Championship and widely touted for a move into the EPL for big money, while Celtic signed Ajeti for a similar fee, who has looked average to say the least. 

Were the Celtic board afraid of pulling too far infront of Rangers that it got to the stage the fans became uninterested, the same way they did when Rangers weren’t in the Premiership? You were lucky if there was 20k inside Parkhead for run of the mill league games, and part of the stadium was closed due to lack of attendance. I’m not sure I agree that they have purposely went out their way to allow Rangers to challenge them, but it has to be said that they are some truly baffling decisions made by the Celtic board. 

I don't think that they deliberately allowed Rangers to get closer, I think it's more to do with arrogance and/or complacency in believing they were lightyears ahead of us.

Under Brendan Rodgers they were lightyears ahead of us and I think they still held that view after they appointed Lennon. They probably underestimated what Rodgers actually brought to the club and believed the squad Lennon inherited was enough even if they believed he was an inferior manager.

In some fairness to Lawwell, Desmond etc, last season saw Celtic running away with the league before it was halted and they topped a difficult Europa League Group but cracks were beginning to show. They limped out against Copenhagen and their performances against Rangers had severely dipped by that point.

However, to say they deliberately allowed Rangers to close the gap is, in my opinion, disingenuous and an attempt to play down Rangers' achievement this season as some kind of "They weren't good, we were just rubbish" kind of argument. Celtic regressed under Lennon, no doubt, but Rangers improved year on year under Gerrard which led to the current situation.

Edited by AJF

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

I don't think that they deliberately allowed Rangers to get closer, I think it's more to do with arrogance and/or complacency in believing they were lightyears ahead of us.

Under Brendan Rodgers they were lightyears ahead of us and I think they still held that view after they appointed Lennon. They probably underestimated what Rodgers actually brought to the club and believed the squad Lennon inherited was enough even if they believed he was an inferior manager.

In some fairness to Lawwell, Desmond etc, last season saw Celtic running away with the league before it was halted and they topped a difficult Europa League Group but cracks were beginning to show. They limped out against Copenhagen and their performances against Rangers had severely dipped by that point.

However, to say they deliberately allowed Rangers to close the gap is, in my opinion, disingenuous and an attempt to play down Rangers' achievement this season as some kind of "They weren't good, we were just rubbish" kind of argument. Celtic regressed under Lennon, no doubt, but Rangers improved year on year under Gerrard which led to the current situation.

I should say, that post wasn’t meant to belittle Rangers achievement this season. They’ve recruited well and played some excellent football this season, absolutely deserving of the title. They have absolutely mugged off Celtic, who as you say, showed a bit of arrogance during Rodgers tenure when it looked like it could be 15-20 titles in a row. Appointing Lennon as manager was the start of their journey to mediocrity, and Rangers have took full advantage of that and now look like they could be the team to dominate over the next few years. 

It’s all ifs and buts now, but if Celtic had signed McGinn and Toney, and appointed a manager with a bit more professionalism than Neil Lennon, I would be pretty confident in saying they would have got to the 10 titles. My Celtic supporting friends are absolutely sick that they have allowed Rangers to surpass them as soon as they have, but credit needs to go to Gerrard and the Rangers players for that, as well as acknowledging that the Celtic board have had an absolute shocker over the last 18 months. 

1 minute ago, IrishBhoy said:

I should say, that post wasn’t meant to belittle Rangers achievement this season. They’ve recruited well and played some excellent football this season, absolutely deserving of the title. They have absolutely mugged off Celtic, who as you say, showed a bit of arrogance during Rodgers tenure when it looked like it could be 15-20 titles in a row. Appointing Lennon as manager was the start of their journey to mediocrity, and Rangers have took full advantage of that and now look like they could be the team to dominate over the next few years. 

It’s all ifs and buts now, but if Celtic had signed McGinn and Toney, and appointed a manager with a bit more professionalism than Neil Lennon, I would be pretty confident in saying they would have got to the 10 titles. My Celtic supporting friends are absolutely sick that they have allowed Rangers to surpass them as soon as they have, but credit needs to go to Gerrard and the Rangers players for that, as well as acknowledging that the Celtic board have had an absolute shocker over the last 18 months. 

Aye, sorry I wasn't insinuating you were playing it down, I meant your workmate with the suggestion it was deliberate to allow Rangers to get closer.

And yeah, I fully agree. It's been a perfect mixture (for Rangers) where Celtic made some bemusing signings (Barkas, Duffy) and decisions (Failing to sack Lennon earlier, Dubai) while we seemed to have got on with our business quite quietly and professionally. A couple of key signings could've been key and I also believe that momentum/confidence is such a big factor in these title races and Rangers winning at Celtic Park in the first meeting of the teams this season was massive in my opinion.

21 minutes ago, AJF said:

However, to say they deliberately allowed Rangers to close the gap is, in my opinion, disingenuous and an attempt to play down Rangers' achievement this season as some kind of "They weren't good, we were just rubbish" kind of argument. 

Maybe his mate is Jackie MacNamara? 

8 minutes ago, AJF said:

Aye, sorry I wasn't insinuating you were playing it down, I meant your workmate with the suggestion it was deliberate to allow Rangers to get closer.

And yeah, I fully agree. It's been a perfect mixture (for Rangers) where Celtic made some bemusing signings (Barkas, Duffy) and decisions (Failing to sack Lennon earlier, Dubai) while we seemed to have got on with our business quite quietly and professionally. A couple of key signings could've been key and I also believe that momentum/confidence is such a big factor in these title races and Rangers winning at Celtic Park in the first meeting of the teams this season was massive in my opinion.

Yep, no arguments here that Celtic have been an absolute shambles this year. Ajeti, Duffy and Barkas look like the thick end of a £10 million mistake. Dubai was arrogance on a whole new level, and to come back from the trip with a player positive with Covid and have the manager of the club lashing out at all and sundry, adamant that they had done nothing wrong was just ludicrous. There’s a real lack of humility at Celtic, the club and their supporters. 

I also think a big factor in Rangers upturn this season was Gerrard and his staff working out how to play through packed defences. That was something they struggled badly with last season, can remember watching numerous Rangers game where they dominated from start to finish and would end up either losing the game or drawing with the opposition scoring with their only chance. Livingston and Kilmarnock away spring to mind, I’m sure there’s more. 

On 03/04/2021 at 20:03, Mr. Alli said:

Going by Twitter, Celtic fans have had it with Griffiths. 

Seems a far cry from a few months ago when they were saying the abuse he was getting was disgusting. 

What? Not seen a great deal about Griffiths but abusing him for having mental health issues or being unprofessional/shite are two totally different matters.  Unless Celtic fans are slagging off for the former which I doubt?

We had the pishy claims same a few months  ago regarding Lennon and people trying to lump abuse for terrible decision making and the bile he gets from fans of certain clubs regarding his background as the same. Desperate stuff.

Edited by gannonball

Watching a Celtic podcast about the length of time it takes for the SFA to act on breaches.
With Bolingoli it took 26 days,with the Aberdeen 8 it took 28 days and with the sevco 5 it took 46 days.
The inconsistency from the SFA plus the punishments given out opens them up for all sorts of scrutiny.

36 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Watching a Celtic podcast about the length of time it takes for the SFA to act on breaches.
With Bolingoli it took 26 days,with the Aberdeen 8 it took 28 days and with the sevco 5 it took 46 days.
The inconsistency from the SFA plus the punishments given out opens them up for all sorts of scrutiny.

No one has suffered as much as celtic have from Covid Willie, quite remarkable how well they've coped with everything being against them.

49 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Is that you John Kennedy? 

I have always been under the misapprehension that the team at the top of the top division in the country at the end of the season are the undisputed best team in the country. However, it now appears to be how another team is perceived to have played against the league champions, even though they haven't actually won any of these games, that makes you the best team in the country. John Kennedy will make the ideal next permanent Celtic manager. 

6 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Hes deemed not good enough even thou he hasn't lost a game because he was part of Lennon's team that lost 4 games in the league.

He's good enough on the basis that he talks utter shite.