The Celtic All Seasons thread

Just remembered Shane Duffy gets a game for South Ireland.  No wonder they're going backwards at an alarming rate.  Well, that and Stephen Kenny is the manager.

5 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Just remembered Shane Duffy gets a game for South Ireland.  No wonder they're going backwards at an alarming rate.  Well, that and Stephen Kenny is the manager.

The ROI press and football establishment really, really rate Stephen Kenny. So much so that if he does okay with Ireland, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Desmond considers him for the Celtic job next time round (Desmond is heavily involved with the FAI).

To be fair to him, he's started okay. He's trying to change the style of football to a more attacking style. Which doesn't bode well for Duffy...

10 hours ago, AJF said:

I know it’s easy to jump on the bandwagon, but I am actually amazed at how hilariously hopeless Shane Duffy has been thus far. I don’t know if it’s a confidence issue or what, but he has been woeful.

Additionally, I see Chris Sutton was getting absolutely torn into Leigh Griffiths tonight about his attitude and fitness issues. I wonder if Celtic fans will be quick to criticise him as they did with Boyd when he made similar comments last season.

Leigh Griffiths never had a good attitude but since he’s taken up with the bird from Lithgae he appears to have even less interest in playing football.

A total waste.

I’ve been saying he needs to go since Ferencvaros and this chain of results was inevitable. Comments about culture are embarrassing, he sets the culture and if that hasn’t been embedded by now and the players don’t understand what is expected then that’s shows he isn’t capable. He has had 3 months to fix that defence and it shows zero signs of improving is a failure of the coaching team. It’s a shambles

The players are a direct reflection of the manager, unfit, not motivated, unorganised, lazy and out of ideas. it’s criminal if it’s allowed to continue and again a direct reflection on the board if it does. 

I also don’t get that only the 10 matters. Europe has a direct impact on our already dwindling revenue streams and performances like this and early exit only make the job to retain and recruit better players much more difficult. 

But aye no doubt the in Lenny we trust brigade will come along shortly to talk about trophies he has won etc etc, no only the now matters. The 10 is a pissing contest and blinkers fans from the reality of how far backwards we have gone

1 hour ago, Jinky67 said:

I also don’t get that only the 10 matters. Europe has a direct impact on our already dwindling revenue streams and performances like this and early exit only make the job to retain and recruit better players much more difficult. 

I agree with you on Europe the focus has been taking away,the football calendar is very different for players this season.
When you factor in the international breaks trying to finish off last seasons Scottish cup not to mention the covid problems the club has had, the two main priorities for this season hasn't had a chance to breathe.

11 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I agree with you on Europe the focus has been taking away,the football calendar is very different for players this season.
When you factor in the international breaks trying to finish off last seasons Scottish cup not to mention the covid problems the club has had, the two main priorities for this season hasn't had a chance to breathe.

What are the two main priorities ??

Do you still think lennon is the right man for the job?

12 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Yes,Celtic managers are not removed for their results in Europe we would be changing them every year if that was the case.

It wasn't that long ago Celtic were doing fine in Europe, Lennon is tactically inept on that stage.

Celtic have a real problem with the spine of their team with Duffy, McGregor and Edouard all performing poorly (amongst others). Until that is resolved then I think they will continue to have problems whether that is domestically or in Europe. They are too reliant on Frimpong as their main attacking threat which is problematic for them as a) he has a poor final product and b) it leaves their centre backs too exposed as Laxalt is also a player that plays high up the pitch.

It's up to the manager to fix that. Let's hope he doesn't.

20 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Yes,Celtic managers are not removed for their results in Europe we would be changing them every year if that was the case.

Celtic topped their Europa League Group last season against teams of a similar calibre to the ones they are facing this season. The regression is clear to see.

M9 yer team just lost 4-1 to what was pretty much the 2nd xi of a team who've only played European games due to their domestic league being on hold & had conceded the most goals (7) across all of the Europa League.

The only two Celtic-minded people that seem to ignore Lennon's failings are Wastecoatwilly and Chris Sutton. I'm not saying they are the same person, but have you ever seen them both in the same room at the same time?

1 minute ago, AJF said:

The only two Celtic-minded people that seem to ignore Lennon's failings are Wastecoatwilly and Chris Sutton. I'm not saying they are the same person, but have you ever seen them both in the same room at the same time?

If Willy starts calling out Griffiths for having tits, then we'll know.

18 minutes ago, AJF said:

Celtic topped their Europa League Group last season against teams of a similar calibre to the ones they are facing this season. The regression is clear to see.

Our home form his been pants but our away form has improved,Celtic going out of Europe before the end of the year isn't a new thing.

4 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Our home form his been pants but our away form has improved,Celtic going out of Europe before the end of the year isn't a new thing.

Your away form has improved because your away games have been against Killie, Dundee Utd, Ross County, St Mirren, St Johnstone and Aberdeen. In the two tough games there, you dropped points. Even the games you've won, you almost threw them away, with the exception of Ross County.  Granted, the Lille game was a good result.

What happens in this half of the season now when you go away to Fir Park, the Tony Macaroni, Easter Road and Ibrox?