The Celtic All Seasons thread

3 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I don't know a great deal about it and tbh whenever I see folk obsessing/revelling about it on social media it creeps me out a bit so it puts me off looking in to it. There will be criminal cases that would have disclosed this stuff I'm guessing but I'm too young to remember any of it I think.

I know a couple of people who's lives it ruined but I appreciate what you are saying.

Just now, Hoose Rice said:

If he knew and failed to say anything then he should be.  As should any former players, managers and coaching staff.   regardless of their standings in Scottish footballing history.

I’m all for it, even if I think it’ll change utterly f**k all to the way people view a clubs success.

Ultimately, the names of those that knew about it or covered it up,  be it true it not, are already very much out there. Especially at Celtic because, well, certain fan bases seem to think it’ll result in title stripping and the club to die. So a lot of digging was down, some of it very good work.

It’s obviously a bit more difficult with all of the names flung out by some in desperation to tarnish club achievements as it’s muddied the waters.

Then there’s all the cases across Scottish football at varying levels, it’s been going on and hidden at so many clubs, down south included that, let’s be blunt, we’ll never know everyone that was involved or complicit. 

3 minutes ago, stressball said:

I’m all for it, even if I think it’ll change utterly f**k all to the way people view a clubs success.

Ultimately, the names of those that knew about it or covered it up,  be it true it not, are already very much out there. Especially at Celtic because, well, certain fan bases seem to think it’ll result in title stripping and the club to die. So a lot of digging was down, some of it very good work.

It’s obviously a bit more difficult with all of the names flung out by some in desperation to tarnish club achievements as it’s muddied the waters.

Then there’s all the cases across Scottish football at varying levels, it’s been going on and hidden at so many clubs, down south included that, let’s be blunt, we’ll never know everyone that was involved or complicit. 

I agree with all of that.  Anything that helps the victims for me or makes life easier should be done.

Nobody should use such an atrocity as any form of point scoring nor a way to try and belittle sporting success but it should be in the public eye.   Even if we won't know everyone, if people are known to have known about this then it should be revealed. 

2 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

I agree with all of that.  Anything that helps the victims for me or makes life easier should be done.

Nobody should use such an atrocity as any form of point scoring nor a way to try and belittle sporting success but it should be in the public eye.   Even if we won't know everyone, if people are known to have known about this then it should be revealed. 

I can’t remember the guys name but there was a running joke in junior football from the 70’s to 80’s about a physio you’d go to if you fancied a new pair of boots.

Don't think he ever got reported but got rinsed by many for new kit, before he got a doin’.

Although that’s another issue, years gone by a lot of these things were dealt with very differently.

18 hours ago, gannonball said:

As far as I'm aware It's a civil case for compensation and being paid out of court so I doubt much of the information will be disclosed. I doubt anyone is still around at the club now from then too so not quite sure what your getting at really.

The victims might like it known who knew about it and what they did , or did not , do .

56 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

The victims might like it known who knew about it and what they did , or did not , do .

We're all absolutely guessing here but I would imagine if really they did then they would have taken it to civil court rather than settle out of it. It is a class action one though so will be multiple victims opinions taken in to account who may want to try other avenues.

We've also been linked with Michael Zetterer, a Werder Bremen goalkeeper. 28 so would still have a good few years left. No idea about his ability but nice to see we're actively looking for Hart's replacement.

On 09/04/2024 at 16:08, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Then victims can do that themselves, I’d imagine most of those responsible are now dead so can’t really sue for slander nor can surviving relatives.

Celtic could I suppose insert some clause in the settlement that victims don’t do that but I’d like to think they wouldn’t as it wouldn’t be a great look.

Offering settlement is absolutely the right thing to do however, these people and their families have suffered enough and for too long. You can’t put a price on integrity and doing the right thing, it just has to be done.

On 08/04/2024 at 21:55, stressball said:

Can’t wait for wee Shug the janitor to be named and shamed.

I know its a facetious comment, but as someone who knows a victim from late 80s early 90s thats exactly what he wants. Seemed to be common knowledge at Barrowfield by staff and parents that end of game team talks would take place in the showers and last an inappropriate length of time but none of them ever reported it (to his knowledge).

Victims aren't a homogenous group either, some want those responsible named without losing their own anonymity as they haven't properly dealt with it themselves, some peoples only recourse has been to sue in a civil court. Sadly my mate refuses to talk about it at all unless pushed to open up under the influence. 

3 minutes ago, Urban Spaceman said:

I know its a facetious comment, but as someone who knows a victim from late 80s early 90s thats exactly what he wants. Seemed to be common knowledge at Barrowfield by staff and parents that end of game team talks would take place in the showers and last an inappropriate length of time but none of them ever reported it (to his knowledge).

Victims aren't a homogenous group either, some want those responsible named without losing their own anonymity as they haven't properly dealt with it themselves, some peoples only recourse has been to sue in a civil court. Sadly my mate refuses to talk about it at all unless pushed to open up under the influence. 

Why is he being pushed to open up about it whilst drunk? Shite friend patter that.

1 hour ago, stressball said:

Why is he being pushed to open up about it whilst drunk? Shite friend patter that.

Not being pushed into it when drunk, but one of my mates only ever mentions it when drunk too and generally hates talking about it for obvious reasons. As friends you want to help people and try understand/help open up.  I kind of get what @Urban Spaceman means by it.  Especially when in my mates case he seems to be passed the stage of a normal life and is drinking himself to death.   Lovely guy and was a fucking brilliant footballer too, still is in his 40s.   We all used to be jealous when he was on telly as the ball boy at Parkhead, if only we knew what they evil fuckers put he and others through. 

On 12/04/2024 at 13:29, stressball said:

It does feel like that at times, sometime you wonder if you are doing the right thing. None of us are psychologists. Its exactly as @Hoose Rice says. Pushed is probably the wrong word, but that's the only time he will even acknowledge it happened and is its still having an impact. On the outside its the drink that's caused him to lose jobs, his partner and access to kids, but those close know that's just the symptom not the cause. 

Your initial flippant comment was in poor taste and an indication of how many in our support refuse to acknowledge how much was known and ignored by many many people in the club. The people responsible only got away with it for so long due that culture of secrecy and fear and denial. 

57 minutes ago, Urban Spaceman said:

It does feel like that at times, sometime you wonder if you are doing the right thing. None of us are psychologists. Its exactly as @Hoose Rice says. Pushed is probably the wrong word, but that's the only time he will even acknowledge it happened and is its still having an impact. On the outside its the drink that's caused him to lose jobs, his partner and access to kids, but those close know that's just the symptom not the cause. 

Your initial flippant comment was in poor taste and an indication of how many in our support refuse to acknowledge how much was known and ignored by many many people in the club. The people responsible only got away with it for so long due that culture of secrecy and fear and denial. 

Not ignoring it at all mate 👍

6 hours ago, Urban Spaceman said:

What exactly stops your friend naming his abuser and taking the steps to have that person or persons held to account? Surely a route exists for him to do that with his friends supporting him?

Edited by Jinky67