The Celtic All Seasons thread

47 minutes ago, G51 said:

To be fair, there are some boardroom figures who Celtic fans hold in a similar reverence despite making a hash of things.

Fergus McCann, for example. They won't hear a bad word against him despite his decision to float Celtic on the stock exchange being directly responsible for Dermot Desmond's vice grip over the club, which they cannot remove.

Just to confirm, you think Fergus McCann made a mess of things at Celtic Park?

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

Aye obviously there will be some probably even quite a few Celtic fans that rated him but this

gives off the impression he was universally beloved which just wasn't the case. My impression from was that Celtic fans were generally quick to slag the board but were supportive almost to a fault of their players and management to a fault (for example with Tonev or sticking behind Deila for long after it was apparent he wasn't up to it).

Hey sir - Super Ronny had a 100% record in delivering league titles in Scotland and his team gave Inter a run for their money in the last 16 of the Europa League - please don’t compare him to the 20/21 version of Neil Lennon.

15 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Hey sir - Super Ronny had a 100% record in delivering league titles in Scotland and his team gave Inter a run for their money in the last 16 of the Europa League - please don’t compare him to the 20/21 version of Neil Lennon.

I think the difference is that Lenny's collapse has been entertaining whereas Deila's was just dull. I have this weirdly vivid memory of being sat in Parkhead during an EL group game against Malmo or someone and being conscious of like 30,000 separate conversations taking place while Celtic passed the ball around the halfway line as they limped to a 2-0 defeat.

2 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I think the difference is that Lenny's collapse has been entertaining whereas Deila's was just dull. I have this weirdly vivid memory of being sat in Parkhead during an EL group game against Malmo or someone and being conscious of like 30,000 separate conversations taking place while Celtic passed the ball around the halfway line as they limped to a 2-0 defeat.

You might be right mate - obviously I’ve never been to a Celtic match where Falkirk haven’t been playing so was just basing on results and 100% league title record.

7 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

You might be right mate - obviously I’ve never been to a Celtic match where Falkirk haven’t been playing so was just basing on results and 100% league title record.

In fairness I've ignored that quite a few teams profited off Deila being shite with trophy wins! Maybe I'm just basing it off fan reactions and manager meltdowns. 

1 hour ago, G51 said:

To be fair, there are some boardroom figures who Celtic fans hold in a similar reverence despite making a hash of things.

Fergus McCann, for example. They won't hear a bad word against him despite his decision to float Celtic on the stock exchange being directly responsible for Dermot Desmond's vice grip over the club, which they cannot remove.

Fergus McCann is the only reason Celtic still exist as a football club.

He far from made a hash of things. Fergus McCann was clear from the onset as to what he would do at Celtic and in what sort of timeline and he delivered it to the letter and he was far from revered at the time because of his refusal to put stopping Rangers at the top of his priority list or would he cave into the wage demands of the likes of PvH and Di Canio. 

Yet he got us debt free, built an amazing stadium and set us on a path that would see us become successful again and without it being his goal stopped Rangers winning the 10. 

There is a much greater appreciation of him now because of Rangers collapse, it now all made sense. He stuck to his plan and got out exactly when he said he would 

Edited by Jinky67

12 minutes ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

It won’t be official unless bennett posts it.

7 hours ago, Henrik's tongue said:

It won’t be official unless bennett posts it.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/breaking-rafa-benitez-appointed-celtic-23374588

Rafa Benitez to be appointed new Celtic manager after quitting job in China

Benitez would be going head-to-head with his former Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard for supremacy in Glasgow

20 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

Fergus McCann is the only reason Celtic still exist as a football club.

He far from made a hash of things. Fergus McCann was clear from the onset as to what he would do at Celtic and in what sort of timeline and he delivered it to the letter and he was far from revered at the time because of his refusal to put stopping Rangers at the top of his priority list or would he cave into the wage demands of the likes of PvH and Di Canio. 

Yet he got us debt free, built an amazing stadium and set us on a path that would see us become successful again and without it being his goal stopped Rangers winning the 10. 

There is a much greater appreciation of him now because of Rangers collapse, it now all made sense. He stuck to his plan and got out exactly when he said he would 

The bunnet was far from popular but he did exactly what he said he was going to do & laid a lot of foundations for further success, that said I will never forgive him for binning Tommy Burns even though that worked out well for us.

Celtics wildcard is Desmond. If he sticks €10m into Celtic and uses it for a manager, there’s no reason Celtic couldn’t hire Benitez.

However a) as I alluded to earlier, Celtics flotation on the stock market makes this difficult, and b) he’s never shown much of an inclination to do this IIRC. Can’t remember the last time he did.

3 minutes ago, G51 said:

Celtics wildcard is Desmond. If he sticks €10m into Celtic and uses it for a manager, there’s no reason Celtic couldn’t hire Benitez.

However a) as I alluded to earlier, Celtics flotation on the stock market makes this difficult, and b) he’s never shown much of an inclination to do this IIRC. Can’t remember the last time he did.

I'm maybe missing something but why would he need to chuck in €10m for a manager?

4 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I'm asking why they need €10m?

Benitez was pulling in £6m a year at Newcastle. 

You’d probably have to pay him a wee bit more to make the move to Scotland instead of stay in England, plus you’d need to pay his backroom staff.

Its impossible to know what the required figure would be obviously, but €10m is a decent stab at it I think. 

Point is, this isn’t happening unless Desmond decides to fund it.