The Celtic All Seasons thread

7 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

Big bombscare Duffy chucked it?

I’m not sure if it was discussed on the match thread but I thought Duffy could not have looked less interested in coming on at the weekend if he tried. Then he seemed to be desperate to get himself sent off.

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/18988728.shane-duffy-one-celtics-best-stars-dubai-trip-correct-call-says-john-barnes/

"[Shane] was playing in a team in England who were down at the bottom who nearly got relegated," Barnes added. "He didn't go to Scotland as a superstar playing for one of the top teams. He's a very good player who can compete in Scotland comfortably but I don't think that they were looking for Shane Duffy to win them matches.

“The problem is not Duffy, the issue is that they haven’t scored enough goals. I think he's a good player who’s playing well but the harmony isn't particularly right at Celtic and I’m not sure any player would play particularly well right now. But it’s not right to look at Duffy and say that he's been a failure because he hasn’t. In fact, he’s probably one of the players that have performed well this season."

7 hours ago, welldaft said:

We look forward to your bid of £25,000 for a Scotland International when if rumours are to be believed you paid £2m for Duffy for one season. Of course I am exaggerating it will probably be closer to £50,000.

I mean if he was a Greek Internationalist we could expect multiple millions. The next week will be fun watching this story unfold. 

Your club broke their transfer record selling a player to us last summer so strange to be going on about this. 

The guy is 29, has a dodgy past and out of contract in 6 months*  so he probably wont be going for decent money imo.

Edited by gannonball

2 hours ago, G51 said:

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/18988728.shane-duffy-one-celtics-best-stars-dubai-trip-correct-call-says-john-barnes/

"[Shane] was playing in a team in England who were down at the bottom who nearly got relegated," Barnes added. "He didn't go to Scotland as a superstar playing for one of the top teams. He's a very good player who can compete in Scotland comfortably but I don't think that they were looking for Shane Duffy to win them matches.

“The problem is not Duffy, the issue is that they haven’t scored enough goals. I think he's a good player who’s playing well but the harmony isn't particularly right at Celtic and I’m not sure any player would play particularly well right now. But it’s not right to look at Duffy and say that he's been a failure because he hasn’t. In fact, he’s probably one of the players that have performed well this season."

Great player big John was. No the brightest though.

8 hours ago, gannonball said:

See we are linked with Declan Gallagher today. For me he is a no brainer as doubt he would command much money and we will be short with Julien out long term. Also who knows what will happen with Duffy and Ajer in this window. 

Think he’d jump at the chance. He’s a fan and started his career there so it’s a bit of a no brainer for him. He’s certainly came a long way from when I saw him play a few games for Stranraer 😂 

2 hours ago, gannonball said:

Your club broke their transfer record selling a player to us last summer so strange to be going on about this. 

The guy is 29, has a dodgy past and out of contract in 6 months*  so he probably wont be going for decent money imo.

I still think £3m for Turnbull will prove a total bargain...

Not strange at all when you consider Celtics approach to paying for players in Scotland. I think we were offered £300k for Carson. An International standard keeper. Then you don’t blink and pay £5m for Barkas albeit a couple of years later. 

Dodgy past or not Gallacher is now a starter at centre back for Scotland and coped very well in recent games inc most notably Serbia. Good enough for Scotland but not Celtic....

That plus the stories are he has a years extension triggered by playing 25 games this season and we are at game 20. 

So as I said before if you are interested and no one is saying Celtic are then I expect Motherwell to stand firm until a realistic offer is made. That won’t be anything less than £750k I would imagine. 

16 minutes ago, welldaft said:

I still think £3m for Turnbull will prove a total bargain...

Not strange at all when you consider Celtics approach to paying for players in Scotland. I think we were offered £300k for Carson. An International standard keeper. Then you don’t blink and pay £5m for Barkas albeit a couple of years later. 

Dodgy past or not Gallacher is now a starter at centre back for Scotland and coped very well in recent games inc most notably Serbia. Good enough for Scotland but not Celtic....

That plus the stories are he has a years extension triggered by playing 25 games this season and we are at game 20. 

So as I said before if you are interested and no one is saying Celtic are then I expect Motherwell to stand firm until a realistic offer is made. That won’t be anything less than £750k I would imagine. 

We previously outbid an EPL team for him so bargain or not we paid more than any other team were willing to. 

As for comparing the Carson bid to Barkas, We were looking for essentially a 3rd choice keeper (Gordon and De vries were injured) so went for a guy who had been playing the majority of his career in the english lower leagues. Barkas was brought in from a large greek team having also been a title winner with champions league experience, to be number one. The two situations are barely comparable. We had never paid 5 million for a first choice goal keeper before so doubt we were going to pay anywhere near that for a 3rd choice. 

As for Gallagher I don't know why your arguing about him as I said he would be a good signing for us. The figure you mention would seem about right though.

Edited by gannonball

40 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Celtic paid £125k for Gary Mackay Steven who had 6 months left on his deal and the ability to make a true impact at the top end of the side. Why do you think Celtic would pay £750k for a defender when the leagues most likely gone and they'll have a new management side in place next season? 

59 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Celtic paid £125k for Gary Mackay Steven who had 6 months left on his deal and the ability to make a true impact at the top end of the side. Why do you think Celtic would pay £750k for a defender when the leagues most likely gone and they'll have a new management side in place next season? 

I am not saying they will. I am not saying they are interested.

What I am saying is that for Motherwell to part with their Captain and best player and one who may well have 18 months left on his contract and has played the last half a dozen games for Scotland. I think £750k is a reasonable bid for us to give the green light. Anything more a bonus. Anything less and he is better staying and helping us fight a relegation battle (whether he likes it or not) which will cost Motherwell a hell of a lot more than £750k. 

There may also be other clubs interested inc Blackburn if rumours are to be believed. 

You've just wrote that you think the club will force a player who doesn't really want to be at the club, apparently 5 games away from an automatic contract extension, to play and help keep you up - while his boyhood club supposedly want him? 

Everything points to the player being 100% in control of the situation. I just find it exceptionally difficult Celtic will be paying anything over about £200,000 for him in January. 

4 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

You've just wrote that you think the club will force a player who doesn't really want to be at the club, apparently 5 games away from an automatic contract extension, to play and help keep you up - while his boyhood club supposedly want him? 

Everything points to the player being 100% in control of the situation. I just find it exceptionally difficult Celtic will be paying anything over about £200,000 for him in January. 

And you could well be right. 

As I have said there is nothing other than paper talk that Celtic might even be interested. 

We have done it before. With Carson we knocked back a derisory Celtic bid. And he is still at Motherwell albeit injured at the moment. Always felt bad for Carson as he would have deserved the move and increased salary.

Same goes for Gallacher but Motherwell do not have to accept any offer. If he throws his toys out the pram then he can sit on the bench and watch the Euros on his TV. Hopefully it will not come to that. 

First and foremost someone has to make a bid for any of this to become a factual discussion. 

I was reading an article earlier and Arthur Numan mentions how the title race is far from over. He talked about 2003 when Rangers were 9 points clear with 6 games to go and Celtic were able to claw it back (albeit Rangers won the title due to the events of the final game). Reading that makes it even more laughable that so many people are adamant the title race is finished with 16 games left 

I was reading an article earlier and Arthur Numan mentions how the title race is far from over. He talked about 2003 when Rangers were 9 points clear with 6 games to go and Celtic were able to claw it back (albeit Rangers won the title due to the events of the final game). Reading that makes it even more laughable that so many people are adamant the title race is finished with 16 games left 
Were Celtic hilariously incompetent with a completely inept manager then though?

17 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
8 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Were Celtic hilariously incompetent with a completely inept manager then though?

No

9 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Reading that makes it even more laughable that so many people are adamant the title race is finished with 16 games left 

Would you stake money on Celtic winning the league - or even getting within three (3) points of Rangers by the seasons end?