The Celtic All Seasons thread

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

There's quite a difference been willing to take a shot and just poor decision making.

37 goal contributions towards goal in a single season would suggest he gets many decisions right.

I don’t understand the criticism of Christie to be fair, in the current circumstances he’s one of the few Celtic players that look to make some sort of positive impact, everyone else seems more content to recycle the ball side to side or go backwards.

But I’ll bow to the non Celtic supporting experts who obviously seem to watch more Celtic games than I do 

1 minute ago, Jinky67 said:

37 goal contributions towards goal in a single season would suggest he gets many decisions right.

I don’t understand the criticism of Christie to be fair, in the current circumstances he’s one of the few Celtic players that look to make some sort of positive impact, everyone else seems more content to recycle the ball side to side or go backwards.

But I’ll bow to the non Celtic supporting experts who obviously seem to watch more Celtic games than I do 

You're getting very defensive.

The question isn't 'is Ryan Christie a good player?', it's 'is Ryan Christie an elite level footballer?'. At this point in time he is not.

I loved him at Pittodrie, bags of talent. He's got so much potential.

11 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

You're getting very defensive.

The question isn't 'is Ryan Christie a good player?', it's 'is Ryan Christie an elite level footballer?'. At this point in time he is not.

I loved him at Pittodrie, bags of talent. He's got so much potential.

The question was about his suitability to play in the EPL for Burnley not if he was an elite level footballer which is pretty subjective as to what you define as elite. For me that means good enough to play for one of the big 6 which he probably isn’t

However do you need to be at an elite level to play in the EPL regularly? The answer is no you don’t, Shane Duffy has somehow managed that, McBurnie another.

The real question though is can he fulfil his potential at Celtic and again the answer is probably no and definitely not with the the current management. I imagine many of our players will be eyeing moves the longer this continues. Rumours are rife of young Dembele also stalling on a new contract 

Edited by Jinky67

27 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I must say that the Celtic players look a lot happier in that video than they have on the pitch in recent weeks, especially Edouard. (Well, apart from in the Scottish Cup semi)

Was Lennon somewhere else?

35 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I must say that the Celtic players look a lot happier in that video than they have on the pitch in recent weeks, especially Edouard. (Well, apart from in the Scottish Cup semi)

They are Probably happy  because they have taken part in the greatest Christmas advert off all time tbh

12 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

The question was about his suitability to play in the EPL for Burnley not if he was an elite level footballer which is pretty subjective as to what you define as elite. For me that means good enough to play for one of the big 6 which he probably isn’t.

However do you need to be at an elite level to play in the EPL regularly? The answer is no you don’t, Shane Duffy has somehow managed that, McBurnie another.

The real question though is can he fulfil his potential at Celtic and again the answer is probably no and definitely not with the the current management

Absolutely this, tbh Im glad he's taking pot shots etc, we ate devoid of any creativity right now and passive as f**k.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Not even remotely close to being the same player.

He'd more likely be a Brown successor.

You've already got Turnbull to fill Christies "take 50 shots a match, score 1, miss out on 7 assists by shooting, but claim you helped the team" boots.

Yeah tbh I meant to mention Brown/Turnbull etc, but was on a quick break on a course and just forgot.  As for the latter you don’t score and create as many as Christie does if your decision making is as bad as some claim. 

Edited by gannonball

5 minutes ago, gannonball said:

They are Probably happy  because they have taken part in the greatest Christmas advert off all time tbh

Absolutely this, tbh Im glad he's taking pot shots etc, we ate devoid of any creativity right now and passive as f**k.

Completely agree we need players who want to try create something.

Id honestly be tempted to get wee Karamoko in on the right hand side. We are crying out for more natural wide players who are creative and willing to take a risk. Not sure how far away Mikey Johnston is either from fitness 

Edited by Jinky67

If Christie had better decision making, he'd be at an Everton/Leicester/Southampton type no problem. I still wouldn't be that surprised if Rodgers tried to sign him.

Problem is, he's not efficient, so he works best in a team that has a lot of the ball. Missing a chance for Celtic isn't that big a deal. Missing it for Burnley is.

I can't really see the EPL fit for him. Maybe he tries his luck further abroad?

In all honesty, Turnbull is far closer to McGregor or Ntcham than he is Christie IMO. I mean, you could probably get a tune out of him in the same sort of area as Christie but it's nowhere near his best position.

Then again, you'd need to actually be playing him to get any sort of a tune out him.

8 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

In all honesty, Turnbull is far closer to McGregor or Ntcham than he is Christie IMO. I mean, you could probably get a tune out of him in the same sort of area as Christie but it's nowhere near his best position.

Then again, you'd need to actually be playing him to get any sort of a tune out him.

We don’t  often buy players who become automatic first team picks tbh, it took years for Rogic and Christie to get in to the first team on a regular basis. I think Turnbull will get there much much sooner  but I have heard from previous players that moved from scottish clubs to Celtic  in podcasts that they initially struggled with getting up to the fitness of others in the team. I predict Turnbull will be a regular come the end of the season or start of next.

22 minutes ago, G51 said:

If Christie had better decision making, he'd be at an Everton/Leicester/Southampton type no problem. I still wouldn't be that surprised if Rodgers tried to sign him.

Problem is, he's not efficient, so he works best in a team that has a lot of the ball. Missing a chance for Celtic isn't that big a deal. Missing it for Burnley is.

I can't really see the EPL fit for him. Maybe he tries his luck further abroad?

Describe what it means to not be efficient? He has 8 goals in 19 games so far for Celtic which is more than Ryan Kent who is possibly the best form player in Scotland currently and someone who also who loves a speculative effort. This isn’t to suggest Christie is better than Kent either but you would take that return from any midfielder 

The only difference here is Rangers are flying and Celtic aren’t. You could argue if not for Christies contribution to goals and assists Celtics position could be more dire than it is. 

Edited by Jinky67

Just now, Jinky67 said:

Describe what it means to not be efficient? He has 8 goals in 19 games so far for Celtic which is more than Ryan Kent who is possibly the best form player in Scotland currently and someone who also who loves a speculative effort. This isn’t to suggest Christie is better than Kent either but you would take that return from any midfielder 

The only difference here is Rangers are flying and Celtic aren’t. You could rogue if not for Christie contribution to goals and assists Celtics position could be more dire than it is. 

What I'm getting at is that Christie works for a team like Celtic (or Rangers) because if he misses a chance, it's not a big deal. He'll pick the ball up 5 minutes later and be able to have another go.

But if he's playing for a team that doesn't see a lot of the ball, then that's a bigger issue. Since Burnley are being talked about, let's take them as an example. They average 44% possession and about 9 shots a game. Christie is averaging nearly half that by himself (4.2 per game). These two styles don't really fit - Burnley will want those chances to be high quality chances since they're so sparse, whereas Christie will want to try his luck from 20 yards out because that's his game.

Christie is a very good player but if you're a low-efficiency player when it comes to shooting (and plenty are, it doesn't mean you aren't good!), then you need a lot of shots and possession in a game to get the best out of yourself. And I just can't really think of a team in England outside the three I mentioned above (plus the big six obviously) that fits the bill.

11 minutes ago, gannonball said:

We don’t  often buy players who become automatic first team picks tbh, it took years for Rogic and Christie to get in to the first team on a regular basis. I think Turnbull will get there much much sooner  but I have heard from previous players that moved from scottish clubs to Celtic  in podcasts that they initially struggled with getting up to the fitness of others in the team. I predict Turnbull will be a regular come the end of the season or start of next.

Oh totally. I get that.

I had posted on another thread that I would have imagined that it's a kind of 'earn the right' type of situation and that's fine. It just seems academic that he's not going to replace anyone if he's not getting minutes. Given the way Robinson is with the fitness/strength and conditioning side of things I'd be surprised if fitness was an issue - to me it'd be far more of a mentality thing. 

Adjusting to the mindset of being expected to win every week is far more of a jump from where he was.

57 minutes ago, gannonball said:

As for the latter you don’t score and create as many as Christie does if your decision making is as bad as some claim. 

What a red herring that is. 

Christies long range goals generally don't come from the speculative 35 yarders he attempts multiple times a game.

If he believes in his long range ability that's fine, he can keep doing that, and probably keep scoring a fair amount. Its unarguable that he often wastes attacks by taking shots when there's better options on.

This isn't a "take 40 long shots a game and score 1, or never shoot ever again" situation, this is a "be more intelligent in the final third" situation.