The Celtic All Seasons thread

That may well be the case, but my question would be this:
Presumably Celtic have had countless Catholic players represent them over the years. Why would Lennon be targeted specifically with sectarian abuse where others weren’t?

It’s quite simple really, he was the first high profile Northern Ireland internationalist that Celtic had ever signed. His signing created a massive sectarian backlash at the time.

Drew is right that he was roundly booed and given ridiculous treatment from the moment he walked out that tunnel at Dens for his debut.

I have no issue with younger fans hating him today because he is “unlikeable”, however he only acted the way he has because of the initial treatment he received when he signed, which was 100% sectarian. To suggest otherwise is just mental.

3 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

It’s quite simple really, he was the first high profile Northern Ireland internationalist that Celtic had ever signed. His signing created a massive sectarian backlash at the time.

Drew is right that he was roundly booed and given ridiculous treatment from the moment he walked out that tunnel at Dens for his debut.

I have no issue with younger fans hating him today because he is “unlikeable”, however he only acted the way he has because of the initial treatment he received when he signed, which was 100% sectarian. To suggest otherwise is just mental.

So every single fan who disliked him during his initial period at Celtic did so because he was a Catholic from Northern Ireland?

So every single fan who disliked him during his initial period at Celtic did so because he was a Catholic from Northern Ireland?

I can’t speak for every single fan in Scottish football at that time. I have no idea what individual motivations were.

Maybe you could enlighten us? You want to go down the “I hated him because he would become a detestable person in the future” route?

2 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

I can’t speak for every single fan in Scottish football at that time. I have no idea what individual motivations were.

Maybe you could enlighten us? You want to go down the “I hated him because he would become a detestable person in the future” route?

So how could you claim it was 100% sectarian?

I was thirteen when he signed. I was raised in Aberdeen and had no friends or family with religous leanings. I didn't like him as he was a new player at an already detestable Celtic team. Larsson seemed to be the only player in that team who came across as likable. You could maybe add Agathe to the list.

The Rangers team at the time was just as horrible, maybe even more so if you look past the likes of van Bronkhorst and Reyna. Why were they disliked?

From a Dumbarton point of view?

So how could you claim it was 100% sectarian?
I was thirteen when he signed. I was raised in Aberdeen and had no friends or family with religous leanings. I didn't like him as he was a new player at an already detestable Celtic team. Larsson seemed to be the only player in that team who came across as likable. You could maybe add Agathe to the list.
The Rangers team at the time was just as horrible, maybe even more so if you look past the likes of van Bronkhorst and Reyna. Why were they disliked?

100% was hyperbole to reinforce my point to a poster who previously said it was mental to claim sectarianism had anything to do with the hatred towards him.

I can understand people not liking a new signing at either old firm club but the level of abuse Lennon received in those early days was way beyond anything I’ve ever seen. I certainly don’t remember any other signing receiving death threats and having to retire from international football because they signed for one of the two clubs.

4 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

100% was hyperbole to reinforce my point to a poster who previously said it was mental to claim sectarianism had anything to do with the hatred towards him.

I can understand people not liking a new signing at either old firm club but the level of abuse Lennon received in those early days was way beyond anything I’ve ever seen. I certainly don’t remember any other signing receiving death threats and having to retire from international football because they signed for one of the two clubs.

Niall McGinn also received bullets in the post. It's obviously due to being a catholic in that case but there's obviously a reason Lennon is disliked more than McGinn.

PSG 4 St Mirren 0 woops got that wrong that's what it's like when your team play a club with a wage bill beyond your own clubs dreams. This is not  slagging for losing a friendly. Just what it feels like when my own team visit Parkhead. 

35 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

PSG 4 St Mirren 0 woops got that wrong that's what it's like when your team play a club with a wage bill beyond your own clubs dreams. This is not  slagging for losing a friendly. Just what it feels like when my own team visit Parkhead. 

Think it was 5-0 with a lazy striker scoring a hat-trick.

1 hour ago, ZingaliMan said:

Only difference being Celtic probably don’t allow PSG to rebrand Celtic Park when they come over for a European tie.

Budget chat?