The Celtic All Seasons thread

5 hours ago, Romeo said:

Always amazed how the very sight of NL has some people throwing themselves at their TV in a rage. Not just the **** either.

Strange behaviour.

I had a go at trying to understand why this might be the case.  Lennon has experienced death threats & has had bullets through the post, as a result of playing for Celtic & for being a Catholic in the NI team, as far as I remember.  He has also experienced negative portrayals in the press.  Combine that with the remnants of an inferiority complex at Celtic, as a result of the Murray years at Rangers & you'd imagine that this would feed the GIRUY attitude that Lennon displays when victorious.

However, most fans of other clubs aren't really thinking about this when they see Lennon celebrating another Celtic achievement, what they are seeing are the over-exuberant celebrations of a manager who has won another trophy for a club who are head & shoulders above any other team in Scotland, in terms of infrastructure, quality of playing squad & financial resources.  This might help to explain why many fans of other clubs can find Lennon grating.

Undoubtedly there will be people who strongly disagree with this, but you raised the point, so I thought I'd have a go at understanding why this was the case.  

Edited by Golden Gordon

I had a go at trying to understand why this might be the case.  Lennon has experienced death treats & has had bullets through the post, as a result of playing for Celtic & for being a Catholic in the NI team, as far as I remember.  He has also experienced negative portrayals in the press.  Combine that with the remnants of an inferiority complex at Celtic, as a result of the Murray years at Rangers & you'd imagine that this would feed the GIRUY attitude that Lennon displays when victorious.
However, most fans of other clubs aren't really thinking about this when they see Lennon celebrating another Celtic achievement, what they are seeing are the over-exuberant celebrations of a manager who has won another trophy for a club who are head & shoulders above any other team in Scotland, in terms of infrastructure, quality of playing squad & financial resources.  This might help to explain why many fans of other clubs can find Lennon grating.
Undoubtedly there will be people who strongly disagree with this, but you raised I point, so I thought I'd have a go at understanding why this was the case.  
"he celebrates too much"

No bother...

29 minutes ago, Romeo said:

"he celebrates too much"

No bother...

He’s just an unlikeable character. There have been many in football over the years, and he is just another to add to the list. 

Oh, there’s plenty I don’t like about Neil Lennon.

He acts like a spoiled child when things don’t go his way. He is hypocritical in his defence of players that would draw criticism from him if the shoe was on the other foot. He is a bad winner, a worse loser and he goads and makes gestures towards supporters.

Of course, Neil Lennon is not alone in displaying these behaviours, but it culminates in him being a very unlikeable person as others who display the same traits are as well.

Edited by AJF

He acts like a spoiled child when things don’t go his way. He is hypocritical in his defence of players that would draw criticism from him if the shoe was on the other foot. He is a bad winner, a worse loser and he goads and makes gestures towards supporters.
Of course, Neil Lennon is not alone in displaying these behaviours, but it culminates in him being a very unlikeable person as others who display the same traits are as well.
Deffo worth bombs and bullets in the post from Rangers* fans .

1 minute ago, Romeo said:
5 minutes ago, AJF said:

Deffo worth bombs and bullets in the post from Rangers* fans .

I don’t recall saying that. 

2 minutes ago, Romeo said:

I see "goading" got an outing again.

I must say you are keeping it together much better than previous accounts .

You are brilliant 😂 any time I question something you say and you don’t want to address it you just skip over and move on to something else. It’s great.

what they are seeing are the over-exuberant celebrations of a manager who has won another trophy for a club who are head & shoulders above any other team in Scotland, in terms of infrastructure, quality of playing squad & financial resources.  This might help to explain why many fans of other clubs can find Lennon grating.

Hes been getting it from opposition fans from the 1st day he arrived in this bigoted little country, from his debut at Dens and every away ground since, including being attacked at tynecastle resulting in a not proven verdict, shame it wasnt caught on CCTV.

The Celtic fans on here have just been given a myriad of reasons that fans of other clubs don't like Neil Lennon, but they don't accept that because in their eyes everybody hates him because he's a cafflick. They just can't get their heads round that, for all the reasons given by various posters on here, he is a dislikable character when it comes to football. I don't doubt that if you get him in a non football senario he is a great guy, and I do really mean that.

I really quite like Lennon and think he is a very interesting listen on a lot of topics, including football. For me, he's a great asset to the game in Scotland and one who I was delighted returned when he got the hibs job. 

The dislike, bordering on hatred, he gets form a lot of quarters strikes me as very very similar to the kind of stuff Scott Brown gets today as well. Lennon was a combative centre mid who loved getting into a war, into the face of his opponents and proved very effective and successful. All such players in all sorts of football leagues get similar treatment. 

The horrific treatment he has gotten from some quarters, though, is abhorrent and I really commend him for not letting it chase him out the Scottish game. 

If he really did throw around homophobic slurs to denigrate players at hibs, though, then I'll have to accept that he's a fucking p***k. 

Until and unless this is confirmed, though, I'll be glad to see him in Scottish football. 

Edited by AndyDD

2 hours ago, Golden Gordon said:

I had a go at trying to understand why this might be the case.  Lennon has experienced death threats & has had bullets through the post, as a result of playing for Celtic & for being a Catholic in the NI team, as far as I remember.  He has also experienced negative portrayals in the press.  Combine that with the remnants of an inferiority complex at Celtic, as a result of the Murray years at Rangers & you'd imagine that this would feed the GIRUY attitude that Lennon displays when victorious.

Undoubtedly there will be people who strongly disagree with this, but you raised the point, so I thought I'd have a go at understanding why this was the case.  

5 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Hes been getting it from opposition fans from the 1st day he arrived in this bigoted little country, from his debut at Dens and every away ground since, including being attacked at tynecastle resulting in a not proven verdict, shame it wasnt caught on CCTV.

Yes, I acknowledged that, as you can see from the first paragraph of my post, in an attempt to understand what might motivate Lennon to prove his detractors wrong.