Jump to content
Greenlantern

The Celtic 2019/20 thread

Recommended Posts

Celtic should be looking to have a wage bill/squad that has them winning the league and capable of qualifying for the champions league. A wage bill that virtually guarantees CL is unlikely to be sustainable for them, they need to be able to comfortably operate without the CL money.

Transfer fees obviously depends on availability of funds, but also re-sale value is important. A player with no re-sale value is money gone and no guarantees of success beyond what Celtic achieve domestically. It's far more important that clubs invest in efficient and effective scouting networks to pick up talent before their value sky rockets. This is the key for the vast majority of football clubs.

What Celtic need to do is have an honest look at the competition domestically and see how much of a threat it is. Then assess the potential damage of losing that domestic dominance and invest accordingly if they need to. Simply saying any club needs to invest £Xm especially when it comes from fans is usually nonsense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Not at all, but people seem to be suggesting the "spunk everything you have, get a bit further in Europe" model as a guaranteed winner.

But I don't see you taking exception with that...for some reason?

Who said that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, The OP said:

I think we could've spent £50m last summer and still not beaten Valencia. There is not a raft of players just waiting to come to Scotland rather than England, Spain, Germany, Italy or France for better money. We are arguably failing to match RB Salzburg and Basel, although both of them seem to be on a downslide at the moment.

 

Perhaps not but there's a raft of players who would like to get to that level and a couple of good seasons in the CL with Celtic would help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Celtic have a superb scouting team.

its paid for itself many times over. The present day Celtic team as a decent crop of players who are potentially going to move on to teams with bigger budgets.

Scouts abound at Celtic Park from interested parties I would wager, & Celtic are seen as a great testIng ground for up & comers.

if we keep our noses in front in Scotland, & can make the CL groups once out of every three years, lawell will probably be very happy.

depriving the Gers of a shot at the CL money is imperative. Keep them in their place!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Perhaps not but there's a raft of players who would like to get to that level and a couple of good seasons in the CL with Celtic would help.

And so revert to the Catch 22 to which I referred before, in that we can't guarantee CL football when we play four qualifiers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The OP said:

And so revert to the Catch 22 to which I referred before, in that we can't guarantee CL football when we play four qualifiers. 

How many of the teams that you've lost to in the qualifiers did you expect to lose to when the draw was made?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, The OP said:

And so revert to the Catch 22 to which I referred before, in that we can't guarantee CL football when we play four qualifiers. 

I agree, Celtic are in a position to get European football as it stands with the growing chance the co-efficient is getting better to get rid of the qualifiers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 million for him, I agree. Anyway sod off, I have agreed not to comment on this thread.


At the risk of dragging you back into this mess you’ve created, he might not have identified the player, but will certainly have a say in releasing the funds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

How many of the teams that you've lost to in the qualifiers did you expect to lose to when the draw was made?

We haven't lost to very many teams in the qualifiers. Since 2012-13 none under Lennon (from two attempts), two under Deila (from two attempts) and one under Rodgers (from three attempts). AEK Athens last year was probably the most predictable. 

What we have done is appointed a manager with a strong track record of getting into the group stage. It'll be tougher this year than in Lennon's previous outings however, as the number of places available to champions has reduced by one. We will still be seeded in every round because of past European performances however, so we will arguably be the favourite in every tie. 

Edited by The OP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Celtic should accept whatever Arsenal offer. They're only going to squander the money on sectarian memorabilia anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The OP said:

We haven't lost to very many teams in the qualifiers. Since 2012-13 none under Lennon (from two attempts), two under Deila (from two attempts) and one under Rodgers (from three attempts). AEK Athens last year was probably the most predictable. 

What we have done is appointed a manager with a strong track record of getting into the group stage. It'll be tougher this year than in Lennon's previous outings however, as the number of places available to champions has reduced by one. We will still be seeded in every round because of past European performances however, so we will arguably be the favourite in every tie. 

So you don't lose many qualifiers but you don't think a bit of investment is fine if it's going to give you even less chance of losing a qualifier?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

Who said that?

In his own wee world I did (To all intents & purposes I clearly did not, but it suits his narrative so hey,ho). Je Suis Louis Theroux.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

So you don't lose many qualifiers but you don't think a bit of investment is fine if it's going to give you even less chance of losing a qualifier?!

Straw man. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, The OP said:

Straw man. 

Not everything that doesn't suit your agenda is a straw man.

We'll leave it there as with the forum standard the Celtic fans can't comprehend any slight criticism of their club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Merkland Red said:

Not everything that doesn't suit your agenda is a straw man.

We'll leave it there as with the forum standard the Celtic fans can't comprehend any slight criticism of their club.

Code for "I'll run off because I can't come up with a half decent fact-based opinion". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The OP said:

Code for "I'll run off because I can't come up with a half decent fact-based opinion". 

Straw man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also find it funny when you see posters saying things like "All Celtic supporters think x" and "All Celtic supporters think y" when you will find I am generally disagreeing with the prevailing opinion regarding Peter Lawwell, investment and the board. Have a look at kerrydalestreet.co.uk if you don't believe me. I just don't think a lot of the criticisms are based in reality or intelligent business management. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The OP said:

I think we could've spent £50m last summer and still not beaten Valencia. There is not a raft of players just waiting to come to Scotland rather than England, Spain, Germany, Italy or France for better money. We are arguably failing to match RB Salzburg and Basel, although both of them seem to be on a downslide at the moment.

Basel are a poor example. They had a couple of decent European runs in the mid 2000's which were largely funded by Novartis writing off substantial debts that were run up, then another couple of decent runs 5/6 years ago which were the result of an unusually good batch of young players all coming through at the same time. They are actually in a fairly similar to position to Celtic, in that they are pretty much just a shop window for foreign players wanting to play in much bigger and richer leagues nearby, and their European runs not too dissimilar to what Celtic achieve.

They do it on a smaller budget, but that is offset to an extent by the tax advantages they enjoy(Players can be paid less but take home the same...), the standard of living that folk who move there will have, and the fact that they have absolutely no issues with getting work permits for anyone they sign, though that isn't much of an issue for Celtic either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, I'd be refusing to loosen the purse strings if you're manager at the time started spunking £9m on a huddy like Edouard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...