The Celtic All Seasons thread

11 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

Celtic on the look out for a keeper, cheap, Scottish, ex player... makes sense and still a decent keeper. I seen someone mention Boric on Twitter, anything in that or just someone on the wind up?

I know age isn't a problem for goalkeepers can't see it,Still hoping and praying for the WALL.

1 minute ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Is it defo off though or is it just talks have stalled ?? Did Hammond not agree a fee to buy him as part of the loan deal ??

It was Forster who turned Celtic down. A fee was agreed between the clubs. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

It was Forster who turned Celtic down. A fee was agreed between the clubs. 

Didn’t know that. Must be down to wages then or maybe he thinks he can get back into Southampton’s first team.

Bain’s not the best in the world but is good enough to do Celtic a turn given how little he’ll have to do in most games.

2 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Didn’t know that. Must be down to wages then or maybe he thinks he can get back into Southampton’s first team.

Bain’s not the best in the world but is good enough to do Celtic a turn given how little he’ll have to do in most games.

Word is he wants to try and get into the Southampton first team, I'm biased obviously but find it difficult to fathom why you'd stay at a club where you are third choice on the outside chance of getting the gloves as opposed to playing for a club you are idolised, albeit in a smaller league on a season where the team could make history in a way probably only bettered by the Lisbon season. 

Regarding your second point, Scott Bain is a very capable goalkeeper but just can't see Celtic starting the season with him as number one, I don't think Neil Lennon has 100% confidence in him.

Tbh your never gonny please everybody no matter who we’ve got in goal now,no pressure whoever it is,just 10 in a row and imo you need a decent keeper and that in turn other players can put their trust in him.

Word is he wants to try and get into the Southampton first team, I'm biased obviously but find it difficult to fathom why you'd stay at a club where you are third choice on the outside chance of getting the gloves as opposed to playing for a club you are idolised, albeit in a smaller league on a season where the team could make history in a way probably only bettered by the Lisbon season. 

Regarding your second point, Scott Bain is a very capable goalkeeper but just can't see Celtic starting the season with him as number one, I don't think Neil Lennon has 100% confidence in him.
Are you saying that you are unsure whether the achievements of the Lisbon Lions are greater than winning a number of titles in a row that only bears any relevance when framed against Rangers?

9 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

“Probably” only bettered by the Lisbon Lions ??

C’mon to f**k mate there is absolutely no comparison. 10 iar is only a thing to two clubs in one country. You are the first Celtic fan I’ve heard even hint at the comparison.

The Lisbon Lions were pioneers in European football.

They dominated the Scottish league when teams like Killie, Dunfermline, Rangers and Hibs were all getting to the latter stages in European football - good, good teams.

They had a lot of players who were rated and respected worldwide.

They had a manager in Jock Stein who was well ahead of his time.

The current team, whilst very, very successful domestically have none of the above.

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Are you saying that you are unsure whether the achievements of the Lisbon Lions are greater than winning a number of titles in a row that only bears any relevance when framed against Rangers?

1967 European Cup Final is tainted because they didn’t play Rangers in the final IMO.

The 'probably' was more a reference to the fact that some may argue the invincible treble season would be the second greatest achievement by the club ahead of potentially winning the league and completing ten in a row next season, I'd have thought it obvious the Lisbon season is clearly, by a mile the clubs finest achievement, the phrasing of my original post seems to have caused a bit of confusion so, clarifying the point about Lisbon being the clubs finest hour unquestionably shouldn't really need done but, have done so here anyway. 

11 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Deary me Mags, I would argue that Wim Jansens team made far more significant history by stopping 10IAR by the other cheek rather than anything the flat track bullies of recent times have achieved.

16 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Bain is capable domestically, maybe.

Need a far bigger upgrade for Europe.

If he starts as number 1 then the best team in the league who can outspend anyone are going in with the (at best) 5th best keeper in the league.

12 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Bain is capable domestically, maybe.

Need a far bigger upgrade for Europe.

If he starts as number 1 then the best team in the league who can outspend anyone are going in with the (at best) 5th best keeper in the league.

They can stick anyone in goal and it'd be deemed acceptable domestically.

Bain is nowhere near good enough for Celtic. There's at least 5 keepers better than him in the league and a few of those clubs subs are better than him too.  Bain's ultimately had 1 absolutely top drawer season where he was undoubtedly 'Celtic quality', but he's proven that was more of a purple patch than his genuine standard.

If they're signing David Marshall as first choice then there was not much reason for punting Craig Gordon. That'd just be fan service.

Boruc would be interesting - but he'll be 41 midway through the season and couldn't get a game at Bournemouth ahead of Aaron Ramsdale & Mark Travers - Suggests he's finished.

It'll not happen but Celtic could do a lot worse than going after someone like Lewis or Marciano.

There's bound to be plenty of quality keepers out there - It's not as if the vast majority of goalkeepers go for a premium.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

They can stick anyone in goal and it'd be deemed acceptable domestically.

Bain is nowhere near good enough for Celtic. There's at least 5 keepers better than him in the league and a few of those clubs subs are better than him too.  Bain's ultimately had 1 absolutely top drawer season where he was undoubtedly 'Celtic quality', but he's proven that was more of a purple patch than his genuine standard.

If they're signing David Marshall as first choice then there was not much reason for punting Craig Gordon. That'd just be fan service.

Boruc would be interesting - but he'll be 41 midway through the season and couldn't get a game at Bournemouth ahead of Aaron Ramsdale & Mark Travers - Suggests he's finished.

It'll not happen but Celtic could do a lot worse than going after someone like Lewis or Marciano.

There's bound to be plenty of quality keepers out there - It's not as if the vast majority of goalkeepers go for a premium.

GTF

😁

Why would Forster want to try and play in one of the top leagues in the world against a high standard of opposition, in his home country, where he'd be more visible to his national team manager when he could play in a tinpot two team league that he'd win facing one shot a game, with the occasion shoeing in Europe thrown in?