The Celtic All Seasons thread

9 hours ago, Golden Gordon said:

Maybe I'm being a little naive, but if there is the expectation that a manager should persevere with a player relative to the amount has been paid for them, then it could be argued they are not entirely free when making their team selections? 

I think there is mild meddling at the very least at many clubs. I watched the QPR documentary on Amazon recently and the owners were way overstepping the mark and that was in on camera so f**k knows what they would be like be like closed doors. When we signed Shved Rodgers admitted to not knowing anything about him and not desiring  a player for that position.

7 hours ago, gannonball said:

I think there is mild meddling at the very least at many clubs. I watched the QPR documentary on Amazon recently and the owners were way overstepping the mark and that was in on camera so f**k knows what they would be like be like closed doors. When we signed Shved Rodgers admitted to not knowing anything about him and not desiring  a player for that position.

As much as I loved Stevie May during his time at Aberdeen & willed him to do well, he didn't match up to expectations as to goal returns.  The fact that we paid £400,000 toward him might explain why McInnes  persevered with him for so long.  Although £400, 000 is probably peanuts from a Celtic perspective.  

On 26/06/2020 at 11:29, Golden Gordon said:

As much as I loved Stevie May during his time at Aberdeen & willed him to do well, he didn't match up to expectations as to goal returns.  The fact that we paid £400,000 toward him might explain why McInnes  persevered with him for so long.  Although £400, 000 is probably peanuts from a Celtic perspective.  

We have squandered a few pennies in the transfers market, I don't think any club is immune to this but fans always take great pleasure in reminding other fans of the donkey's they sign. Eboue Kouassi was signed for a few million and sold for just over a million I tend not to believe in the figures printed in the papers for the handful of games he played.
Lennon has pretty much cleared out most of the deadwood left behind from Rodgers.

1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

We have squandered a few pennies in the transfers market, I don't think any club is immune to this but fans always take great pleasure in reminding other fans of the donkey's they sign. Eboue Kouassi was signed for a few million and sold for just over a million I tend not to believe in the figures printed in the papers for the handful of games he played.
Lennon has pretty much cleared out most of the deadwood left behind from Rodgers.

Now you've just got the Deadwood Lennon signed.

2 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Bit of a harsh judgement on Scott Sinclair.  Thought he was a great player for Celtic until his dip in form.

On 27/06/2020 at 12:15, wastecoatwilly said:

To be fair to your mob, when they get it right they really get it right eg Van Dijk, Dembele, Edouard. The nature of that level of recruitment means there will be a few punts that turn out to be howlers but overall I think they have come out ahead of the game, which is bloody annoying for the rest of us.

On 25/06/2020 at 15:21, gannonball said:

I think there is hope we can get Forster but back personally I  can see another EPL team hoovering him up. He did come back for training however the other day which shows he must have some interest In staying. Bain for me us a capable enough deputy but I wouldn’t be comfortable as him being number 1. We were linked with some greek keeper the other day also.

You will have agreed a fee to buy Forster when you negotiated the loan deal surely ? Now is the time to exercise that clause and keep him.

1 hour ago, Perkin Flump said:

To be fair to your mob, when they get it right they really get it right eg Van Dijk, Dembele, Edouard. The nature of that level of recruitment means there will be a few punts that turn out to be howlers but overall I think they have come out ahead of the game, which is bloody annoying for the rest of us.

Add Wanyama and Forster to that list.

Can understand Celtic fans frustrations when they don't compete at the highest level bit the buy low sell high model is what will keep them at the top in Scotland.

Stark contrast to Rangers overpay and not see any return model.

Edited by Merkland Red

19 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

You will have agreed a fee to buy Forster when you negotiated the loan deal surely ? Now is the time to exercise that clause and keep him.

I thought they were signing Joe Hart? 

13 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Add Wanyama and Forster to that list.

Can understand Celtic fans frustrations when they don't compete at the highest level bit the buy low sell high model is what will keep them at the top in Scotland.

Stark contrast to Rangers overpay and not see any return model.

Are you telling me Rangers lacked a long term vision when they signed Joey Barton, Senderos and Clint Hill?

I think you're being unfair.