The Celtic All Seasons thread

Overrated pish imo. Cracking deal for Celtic though. 

I know a lot of Celtic fans that were in denial about him leaving. "Living the dream", "Here for 10IAR" etc. Probably the same folk that'll be calling him a wee snake today

ETA - If Celtic had any sense they'd go for Max Lowe. As a Dons fan I'd hate to see him go there but he's a cracking player who would absolutely stroll it

Edited by Zapp Brannigan

1 hour ago, Zapp Brannigan said:

Overrated pish imo. Cracking deal for Celtic though. 

I know a lot of Celtic fans that were in denial about him leaving. "Living the dream", "Here for 10IAR" etc. Probably the same folk that'll be calling him a wee snake today

ETA - If Celtic had any sense they'd go for Max Lowe. As a Dons fan I'd hate to see him go there but he's a cracking player who would absolutely stroll it

Don't. That'd be a tough one to take.

Guest JTS98

I don't really have a problem with players hitting a comfort zone and staying put there forever, the way Scott Brown has. Moving away from home isn't for everyone and players like Brown can earn an absolute fortune doing an enjoyable job while never moving away from their families. What's to criticise in that?

That said, some people have more of a mind to see what's over the horizon and I think Tierney's level of ability pushed him to do that. It is absolutely bizarre that some Celtic fans seem to be surprised that a player would choose what is so obviously a no-brainer of a move over staying to play in the Scottish Premiership while occasionally getting absolute pastings in the Champions League.

The deluded sense of their club's importance in the scheme of the footballing world really is remarkable. They don't see that nobody outside of their club sees their pursuit of ten-in-a-row as anything particularly noteworthy. If anything, the amount of success Celtic have had recently damages them as a club in terms of how they and their achievements are perceived.

With respect to this sale, I saw some Celtic fans decrying the fabled "Ajax model" by mentioning that Ajax have regularly gone without league titles in recent seasons. The fact that this view ignores Ajax's recent run to a Champions League semi-final and Europa League final while Celtic have collected unchallenged domestic honours perhaps underlines the parochial and short-sighted views of many Old Firm supporters, which is a big part of why their clubs go round in circles.

True success requires growth, moving things on, rebuilding and adjusting. This money gives Celtic the chance to do that, it'll be interesting to see if their fans let them.

Edited by JTS98

Probably the right move for everyone involved. Celtic get a huge return for a player they developed, Arsenal get a massively talented young player and Tierney gets to continue to develop in the most competitive league in the world (on a huge wage no less).

7 hours ago, Ross. said:

Tremendous deal for Celtic if they are actually getting the £25m. Excellent player and not going to be easy to come close to replacing him(3 Bolingolis still wouldn't make a dent) but his recent injury record had to be concerning, especially the nature of those injuries.

That's my worry for Tierney.  A guy of his age appearing to have such issue with his hip.  I might not get worse but it certainly won't get better. 

6 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I think they have got used to a lot of their Scottish players such as Brown, McGregor (barring a spell at Notts County early doors), Forrest etc not leaving and their fans see it because they want to stay for 10iar - it’s not, it’s because there’s never been the opportunity, as nobody has bid for them or ambition/desire for those guys to leave.

So, when more ambitious Scots like Tierney and Armstrong go, the seethe is outrageous.

If Tierney can get fit, avoid further injury and not get homesick as some of our boys do for some reason, then I think he’ll do very well for Arsenal.

Don't really recall any seethe when Armstrong left, truth be told.