The Celtic All Seasons thread

1 hour ago, The OP said:

I think we could've spent £50m last summer and still not beaten Valencia. There is not a raft of players just waiting to come to Scotland rather than England, Spain, Germany, Italy or France for better money. We are arguably failing to match RB Salzburg and Basel, although both of them seem to be on a downslide at the moment.

Basel are a poor example. They had a couple of decent European runs in the mid 2000's which were largely funded by Novartis writing off substantial debts that were run up, then another couple of decent runs 5/6 years ago which were the result of an unusually good batch of young players all coming through at the same time. They are actually in a fairly similar to position to Celtic, in that they are pretty much just a shop window for foreign players wanting to play in much bigger and richer leagues nearby, and their European runs not too dissimilar to what Celtic achieve.

They do it on a smaller budget, but that is offset to an extent by the tax advantages they enjoy(Players can be paid less but take home the same...), the standard of living that folk who move there will have, and the fact that they have absolutely no issues with getting work permits for anyone they sign, though that isn't much of an issue for Celtic either.

52 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Basel are a poor example. They had a couple of decent European runs in the mid 2000's which were largely funded by Novartis writing off substantial debts that were run up, then another couple of decent runs 5/6 years ago which were the result of an unusually good batch of young players all coming through at the same time. They are actually in a fairly similar to position to Celtic, in that they are pretty much just a shop window for foreign players wanting to play in much bigger and richer leagues nearby, and their European runs not too dissimilar to what Celtic achieve.

They do it on a smaller budget, but that is offset to an extent by the tax advantages they enjoy(Players can be paid less but take home the same...), the standard of living that folk who move there will have, and the fact that they have absolutely no issues with getting work permits for anyone they sign, though that isn't much of an issue for Celtic either.

Thanks, I suppose that reinforces my point more than anything. I'd guess at having at least a 50/50 chance of progressing past Young Boys of Berne if we make the playoff round. They are probably the pick of the potential playoff round opponents although, again, I'm guessing here. 

1 minute ago, The OP said:

Thanks, I suppose that reinforces my point more than anything. I'd guess at having at least a 50/50 chance of progressing past Young Boys of Berne if we make the playoff round. They are probably the pick of the potential playoff round opponents although, again, I'm guessing here. 

Hard to tell where YB are at the moment. Functional but not spectacular, and lost a few of their better players in the last 3 transfer windows. They have spent a bit in replacing them but the replacements are either untested or haven't really stood out. They just sold Kevin Mbabu for 8m Euros and have replaced him for the season ahead with Saidy Janko...

On form, I'd take YB to beat Celtic, particularly at home on the plastic pitch of theirs. They are an incredibly well organised and disciplined side and their pace on the break is tremendous. Getting them in the qualifiers while the new signings are bedding in and things are still a bit up in the air, I wouldn't want to bet on either side. Would be very evenly matched.

22 minutes ago, Ross. said:

They just sold Kevin Mbabu for 8m Euros and have replaced him for the season ahead with Saidy Janko...

A typical modern day jobber full back with fitness and f**k all else but he must have the best agent going given his clubs have included Man U, Celtic, Porto and now YB.

He would be good for a trivia question regarding European champions too given he also played for Nottingham Forest.

44 minutes ago, gannonball said:

A typical modern day jobber full back with fitness and f**k all else but he must have the best agent going given his clubs have included Man U, Celtic, Porto and now YB.

He would be good for a trivia question regarding European champions too given he also played for Nottingham Forest.

Only on loan at YB for the time being. No idea if there is a price agreed should it work out, but he certainly seems surplus to requirements at Porto.

11 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Only on loan at YB for the time being. No idea if there is a price agreed should it work out, but he certainly seems surplus to requirements at Porto.

Depressingly I would actually bite their hand off for a loan deal for him right now

Danny Simpson on trial  to Celtic... wouldn't  be his first trial..[emoji67]‍⚖️

Obvious scumbaggery aside it’s slightly worrying if this is the type of signing we are looking at. We let a 32 yr old RB go and are looking to replace him with a 32 yr old RB.

On his scumbaggery, no thanks, we shouldn’t be considering him but when you appoint your new manager in a shower cubicle then this is the standard we are at.

51 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Obvious scumbaggery aside it’s slightly worrying if this is the type of signing we are looking at. We let a 32 yr old RB go and are looking to replace him with a 32 yr old RB.

On his scumbaggery, no thanks, we shouldn’t be considering him but when you appoint your new manager in a shower cubicle then this is the standard we are at.

Aye he sounds like a real nasty piece of work.

Bet he’ll be wanting a high salary too. Likely be one of the top earners at the club if he signs.

You make a fair point about him being the same age as Lustig too. 

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
On 15/07/2019 at 16:27, Raidernation said:
So Tierney, irregularly playing for Scotland = 25 mill?
McKenna, Scotland captain and not made of glass?

Scott McKenna is not the Scotland captain.

It's on his CV.