Guest Moomintroll
1 minute ago, Greenlantern said:

Christopher Jullien £7m
Boli Bolingoli £3m
Odsonne Edouard £9m
Bayo £2m
Shved £2m

Sack the board!!!

9 million for him, I agree. Anyway sod off, I have agreed not to comment on this thread.

5 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Will bite slightly but I can see where you are coming from, you will not be able to go deep into the EL but it will not take a lot of investment to finish 3rd in a CL group & go through a couple of rounds in the EL which will generate a significant amount of money. My original point has always been that Celtic should be knocking all domestic competition out of the park & the only thing that is preventing that is Peter Lawwell thinking he is clever & personally enriching himself to the detriment of your football team, we will never be able to compete so it is a moot point for me,  but how will you guys feel if Slippy G stops 9IAR.

I think we could've spent £50m last summer and still not beaten Valencia. There is not a raft of players just waiting to come to Scotland rather than England, Spain, Germany, Italy or France for better money. We are arguably failing to match RB Salzburg and Basel, although both of them seem to be on a downslide at the moment.

Celtic should be looking to have a wage bill/squad that has them winning the league and capable of qualifying for the champions league. A wage bill that virtually guarantees CL is unlikely to be sustainable for them, they need to be able to comfortably operate without the CL money.

Transfer fees obviously depends on availability of funds, but also re-sale value is important. A player with no re-sale value is money gone and no guarantees of success beyond what Celtic achieve domestically. It's far more important that clubs invest in efficient and effective scouting networks to pick up talent before their value sky rockets. This is the key for the vast majority of football clubs.

What Celtic need to do is have an honest look at the competition domestically and see how much of a threat it is. Then assess the potential damage of losing that domestic dominance and invest accordingly if they need to. Simply saying any club needs to invest £Xm especially when it comes from fans is usually nonsense.

23 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Not at all, but people seem to be suggesting the "spunk everything you have, get a bit further in Europe" model as a guaranteed winner.

But I don't see you taking exception with that...for some reason?

Who said that?

8 minutes ago, The OP said:

I think we could've spent £50m last summer and still not beaten Valencia. There is not a raft of players just waiting to come to Scotland rather than England, Spain, Germany, Italy or France for better money. We are arguably failing to match RB Salzburg and Basel, although both of them seem to be on a downslide at the moment.

Perhaps not but there's a raft of players who would like to get to that level and a couple of good seasons in the CL with Celtic would help.

I think Celtic have a superb scouting team.

its paid for itself many times over. The present day Celtic team as a decent crop of players who are potentially going to move on to teams with bigger budgets.

Scouts abound at Celtic Park from interested parties I would wager, & Celtic are seen as a great testIng ground for up & comers.

if we keep our noses in front in Scotland, & can make the CL groups once out of every three years, lawell will probably be very happy.

depriving the Gers of a shot at the CL money is imperative. Keep them in their place!

19 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Perhaps not but there's a raft of players who would like to get to that level and a couple of good seasons in the CL with Celtic would help.

And so revert to the Catch 22 to which I referred before, in that we can't guarantee CL football when we play four qualifiers. 

5 minutes ago, The OP said:

And so revert to the Catch 22 to which I referred before, in that we can't guarantee CL football when we play four qualifiers. 

How many of the teams that you've lost to in the qualifiers did you expect to lose to when the draw was made?

8 minutes ago, The OP said:

I agree, Celtic are in a position to get European football as it stands with the growing chance the co-efficient is getting better to get rid of the qualifiers.

9 million for him, I agree. Anyway sod off, I have agreed not to comment on this thread.

At the risk of dragging you back into this mess you’ve created, he might not have identified the player, but will certainly have a say in releasing the funds.

15 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

How many of the teams that you've lost to in the qualifiers did you expect to lose to when the draw was made?

We haven't lost to very many teams in the qualifiers. Since 2012-13 none under Lennon (from two attempts), two under Deila (from two attempts) and one under Rodgers (from three attempts). AEK Athens last year was probably the most predictable. 

What we have done is appointed a manager with a strong track record of getting into the group stage. It'll be tougher this year than in Lennon's previous outings however, as the number of places available to champions has reduced by one. We will still be seeded in every round because of past European performances however, so we will arguably be the favourite in every tie. 

Edited by The OP

2 minutes ago, The OP said:

We haven't lost to very many teams in the qualifiers. Since 2012-13 none under Lennon (from two attempts), two under Deila (from two attempts) and one under Rodgers (from three attempts). AEK Athens last year was probably the most predictable. 

What we have done is appointed a manager with a strong track record of getting into the group stage. It'll be tougher this year than in Lennon's previous outings however, as the number of places available to champions has reduced by one. We will still be seeded in every round because of past European performances however, so we will arguably be the favourite in every tie. 

So you don't lose many qualifiers but you don't think a bit of investment is fine if it's going to give you even less chance of losing a qualifier?!

Guest Moomintroll
40 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

Who said that?

In his own wee world I did (To all intents & purposes I clearly did not, but it suits his narrative so hey,ho). Je Suis Louis Theroux.

Just now, Merkland Red said:

Not everything that doesn't suit your agenda is a straw man.

We'll leave it there as with the forum standard the Celtic fans can't comprehend any slight criticism of their club.

Code for "I'll run off because I can't come up with a half decent fact-based opinion". 

I also find it funny when you see posters saying things like "All Celtic supporters think x" and "All Celtic supporters think y" when you will find I am generally disagreeing with the prevailing opinion regarding Peter Lawwell, investment and the board. Have a look at kerrydalestreet.co.uk if you don't believe me. I just don't think a lot of the criticisms are based in reality or intelligent business management.