The Celtic All Seasons thread

11 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Yes we did, imagine how well you chaps could do with a person in charge with extensive Business nous who employs an ambitious Management team & who rates sensible ambition over personal enrichment. If Celtic actually do these things then we are looking at 50 IAR but it appears that that is not on the agenda & is endorsed by supporters for some unfathomable reason.

Kilmarnock were also signing a better standard of player which costs money. Which furthers your point anyway.

Guest Moomintroll
1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

Kilmarnock were also signing a better standard of player which costs money. Which furthers your point anyway.

I know but they just don't get it, I am bored with it now  so after reading Romeos reply, I am going to go away & ridicule Shandon Pars choice of footwear in the General Nonsense Forum as that is much more rewarding.

Guest Moomintroll
2 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Right, you are just making yourself look mental here.

Romeo, you cannot abide anyone criticising your wee cult so I am going to duck out here. I am happy to let the P&B hordes decide who is the mentalist here & will not comment again on this thread until we play each other/ Uncle Peter bids two gingy bottles for Greg Taylor when KT goes (delete as applicable). Have fun and God bless.

59 minutes ago, Romeo said:
1 hour ago, Dindeleux said:
Would you not agree that investing more money in the team increases the chance of success across the board?

Didn't Killie finish above the sheep having spent significantly less?

Yes but how many times has that happened over the last 15 years?

21 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Don't be willy about life. Your club have money in the bank which, when invested wisely will increase the gap between your domestic rivals & increase your European revenue which will then result in more revenue ad infinitum.

This seems like moonbeams stuff to me. The main thing Celtic can do is qualify for the CL on a consistent basis. This requires negotiating four rounds of qualifiers. The number of places available to champions shrunk again this year. My impression is that there is a catch-22 situation in that quality players don't want to move to Scotland without guaranteed CL football. Notwithstanding that, I would guess that  an analysis of the stats would show Celtic are more consistent than most clubs/nations in the Champions Path in reaching the group stage. Olympiakos probably had a better record but they didn't win their league in 2017/18 meaning Celtic drew the Greek champions in 2018/19. We still should have beaten them and paid the price for not doing so. This blow was cushioned by getting out of a prima facie difficult EL group, although mainly thanks to Leipzig resting their best two players. 

Yes, we seem understaffed in the full back positions for this year's qualifiers but I am failing to see the players we should have been buying that we have failed to buy. If someone can point me to that then I could say Lawwell is being niggardly and it's costing us. 

If you think we should be spending more to compete in the group stage or go deep into the EL you'd need a couple of hundred million. 

Edited by The OP

Just now, Romeo said:

The kind of mad spending behavior that sunk the old Rangers football club.

There might be some truth to the constant moaning that Lawwell is too cautious and loves his bonus too much but the alternative seems to be not getting much further in Europe then going bust. 

Just now, The OP said:

There might be some truth to the constant moaning that Lawwell is too cautious and loves his bonus too much but the alternative seems to be not getting much further in Europe then going bust. 

That is exactly what the "football finance experts" on here think should happen.

3 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Yeah but, no but..?

Ok if your argument is that clubs who spend less money are more successful than those who spend lots of money then I’m quite happy to just bow out of the argument and we’ll call it a win for you.

Just now, Dindeleux said:

Ok if your argument is that clubs who spend less money are more successful than those who spend lots of money then I’m quite happy to just bow out of the argument and we’ll call it a win for you.

Not at all, but people seem to be suggesting the "spunk everything you have, get a bit further in Europe" model as a guaranteed winner.

But I don't see you taking exception with that...for some reason?

27 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

See my post above willy, your mob are so far above us you really shouldn't need to care but due to under investment we still occasionally get a punchers chance. I acknowledge Celtics dominance but it is an artificially precarious position, with the proper investment it would be utterly dominant & with the additional ECL money generated then Sevco would have zero chance of ever catching up.

Killie had a great season last year I'm not looking for a negative to bring that down but I could say they won feck all.
A bit like the Belgium national team great individuals but can't win anything.
Killie had a great manager 3rd in the league and European football for the first time in 20 years why would I want to rain on their parade.
As a Killie fan do you really give a feck about Bowie's monster trucks because Lawwell isn't kicking a ball.

Guest Moomintroll
4 minutes ago, The OP said:

This seems like moonbeams stuff to me. The main thing Celtic can do is qualify for the CL on a consistent basis. This requires negotiating four rounds of qualifiers. The number of places available to champions shrunk again this year. My impression is that there is a catch-22 situation in that quality players don't want to move to Scotland without guaranteed CL football. Notwithstanding that, I would guess that  an analysis of the stats would show Celtic are more consistent than most clubs/nations in the Champions Path in reaching the group stage. Olympiakos probably had a better record but they didn't win their league in 2017/18 meaning Celtic drew the Greek champions in 2018/19. We still should have beaten them and paid the price for not doing so. This blow was cushioned by getting out of a prima facie difficult EL group, although mainly thanks to Leipzig resting their best two players. 

Yes, we seem understaffed in the full back positions for this year's qualifiers but I am failing to see the players we should have been buying that we have failed to buy. If someone can point me to that then I could say Lawwell is being niggardly and it's costing us. 

If you think we should be spending more to compete in the group stage or go deep into the EL you'd need a couple of hundred million. 

Will bite slightly but I can see where you are coming from, you will not be able to go deep into the EL but it will not take a lot of investment to finish 3rd in a CL group & go through a couple of rounds in the EL which will generate a significant amount of money. My original point has always been that Celtic should be knocking all domestic competition out of the park & the only thing that is preventing that is Peter Lawwell thinking he is clever & personally enriching himself to the detriment of your football team, we will never be able to compete so it is a moot point for me,  but how will you guys feel if Slippy G stops 9IAR.

23 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

will not comment again on this thread until we play each other

20 odd minutes later....

1 minute ago, Moomintroll said:

Will bite slightly 

Edited by Romeo

Guest Moomintroll
9 minutes ago, Romeo said:

There will be a match day thread mate.

C ya 

Wouldn't want to be ya, enjoy the debate but know we will never, ever agree.

Guest Moomintroll
1 minute ago, Romeo said:

Not if you are sticking to the spend more money = guaranteed success line

I am not advocating that Romeo & I never will, invest in the playing squad  & infrastructure wisely & have an overseer who prizes success for the Football team over personal enrichment. That has been my consistent mantra.