The Celtic All Seasons thread

3 hours ago, TheCelt67 said:

According to their respective websites, Celtic have 34 first team players, Hearts have 27.  Man City have 32.  I get what you say about extra games but 34 players is far too many. 

Hearts only have 27?! Every time I see/hear their line up on Sportscene/sound theres a random player I do not recognise.

Whilst we do have an inflated squad come summer Biton,Compper, Izzy,Allan and Gamboa will be gone. Brown and Lusitgs time here remains quite up in the air to say the least.

Add in the loanees going back - Benkovic, Burke and Weah. Althought there is scope to extend the latter Im lead to believe.  

Thats nearly a teams worth right there before other fringe players will want to potentially leave. This wouldn’t bother me too much but given how ended up short last time for champions league qualifiers I would rather get as many in to gel now when we know a load will be leaving come summer.

22 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Hearts only have 27?! Every time I see/hear their line up on Sportscene/sound theres a random player I do not recognise.

Whilst we do have an inflated squad come summer Biton,Compper, Izzy,Allan and Gamboa will be gone. Brown and Lusitgs time here remains quite up in the air to say the least.

Add in the loanees going back - Benkovic, Burke and Weah. Althought there is scope to extend the latter Im lead to believe.  

Thats nearly a teams worth right there before other fringe players will want to potentially leave. This wouldn’t bother me too much but given how ended up short last time for champions league qualifiers I would rather get as many in to gel now when we know a load will be leaving come summer.

Fair points but the injury list has been too long for a while now.  Rodgers should be looking at how to minimise injuries.

10 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Fair points but the injury list has been too long for a while now.  Rodgers should be looking at how to minimise injuries.

He does ask for a higher level of fitness that I have never seen in a Celtic team before, which in turn is bound to cause more injury to some who will struggle to reach that level times.

1 minute ago, gannonball said:

He does ask for a higher level of fitness that I have never seen in a Celtic team before, which in turn is bound to cause more injury to some who will struggle to reach that level times.

If so, that's an issue for the scouts and fitness team to address before the player signs. But it does not explain the large number of players who don't play even the injury list is long. Millions have been wasted on their fees and wages.

Liam Lindsay, who was in the SPL team of the year when he was sold to Barnsley for a measly £350k, could have a good signing. You paid a lot more (triple at least)  for Jack Hendry. Compper cost a similar fee.

It's difficult to understand Celtic's transfer strategy as Rodgers appears to have no control over it.

11 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

If so, that's an issue for the scouts and fitness team to address before the player signs. But it does not explain the large number of players who don't play even the injury list is long. Millions have been wasted on their fees and wages.

Liam Lindsay, who was in the SPL team of the year when he was sold to Barnsley for a measly £350k, could have a good signing. You paid a lot more (triple at least)  for Jack Hendry. Compper cost a similar fee.

It's difficult to understand Celtic's transfer strategy as Rodgers appears to have no control over it.

For me Rodgers big successes at Celtic have been Ntcham,Sinclair and french Eddie not sure Dembele would count, the rest have been poor. 
Lee Congerton is the head of recruitment at Celtic for me he has a lot to answer for,since john park left the club the recruitment has been poor.
I agree there is a lot of dead wood at the club but you can't criticise the success Celtic are having at the moment.
Liam Lindsay should have went for double that and at the time I said so,Jack Hendry can still make the grade at Celtic. 

3 hours ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

https://www.lurganmail.co.uk/news/crime/disgust-at-tweet-threatening-celtic-superfan-jay-beatty-1-8782357

“Jay Beatty won’t see ten in a row. Scotland’s greatest achievement would be taking Jay Beatty to the Forth Road Bridge and lobbing him into the water”

Ooft. 

Utterly pathetic just how often that wee laddie is on the receiving end of such abuse.

2 hours ago, gannonball said:

I'm in agreement with you.  I'd rather we made most of our signings in January given how early our season starts these days.

Honest question. Does Brendan have any say at Celtic? The last two things I've seen in the media was that you were after a winger he doesn't even want or know anything about and that he has no idea what is going on with brown and doesn't have any say there either?

What does he do? It honestly looks and sounds like cathro at hearts but levein was in charge. Who is calling the shots at Celtic?

Edited by Crawford

43 minutes ago, Crawford said:

Honest question. Does Brendan have any say at Celtic? The last two things I've seen in the media was that you were after a winger he doesn't even want or know anything about and that he has no idea what is going on with brown and doesn't have any say there either?

What does he do? It honestly looks and sounds like cathro at hearts but levein was in charge. Who is calling the shots at Celtic?

It’s  the same set up he had at Liverpool where all he can do is  make recommendations I think.  We dont often sign players who will get straight  in the team as what we pay on average for a player is well under what a player in our team is worth. In the end we have to rely on ‘project’ players which I don't think Brendan will have a lot to with untill they up turn and he and the staff develops them. In terms of accountability its probably not ideal but we always seem to run on a heavy surplus on player tradings so even with the many duds it works. 

Edited by gannonball

I believe Celtic scouting system has identified this player as one for the future and see him as a player that fits our model and a good investment. We had plenty of midfielders when we signed wanyama but it didn’t take long for him to get in the team.

How would he know what’s happening with Brown? Celtic have made Brown an offer and he hasn’t decided yet what he’s gonna do.

5 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

I believe Celtic scouting system has identified this player as one for the future and see him as a player that fits our model and a good investment. We had plenty of midfielders when we signed wanyama but it didn’t take long for him to get in the team.

How would he know what’s happening with Brown? Celtic have made Brown an offer and he hasn’t decided yet what he’s gonna do.

I don't really pay much attention to other teams. Just the way it was worded when I read it, made it sound like Rodgers wasn't privy to any talks regarding player contracts. Thanks for clearing that up though.

12 minutes ago, gannonball said:

It’s  the same set up he had at Liverpool where all he can make is recommendations I think.  We dont often sign players who will get straight  in the team as what we pay on average for a player is well under what a player in our team is worth. In the end we have to rely on ‘project’ players which I don't think Brendan will have a lot to with untill they up turn and he and the staff develops them. In terms of accountability its probably not ideal but we always seem to run on a heavy surplus on player tradings so even with the many duds it works. 

Thanks for the info. As I said before never really pay much attention it was just odd reading that he didn't have much impetus on either case.

11 hours ago, Crawford said:

I think Brenda is too busy dressing up in women's clothes and cavorting with other like-minded males to have time to be dealing with that side of the job. 

Allegedly.