• Announcements

• Div

Pie and Bovril Nostalgia Mobile Phone Cases!   12/09/18

We are delighted to have partnered up with Nostalgia Cases to offer a huge range of fantastic Scottish Football phone cases to our visitors. These high quality cases are available in a range of retro and up to date designs and there variations available for all Premiership, Championship and League 1 clubs as well as four of the League 2 teams. Within each club there are a range of choices. You'll find it difficult to choose! This is an Edinburgh based start-up, and they also provide a custom design service so if there is a kit you don't see that you'd love for your phone you can get in touch with them and they'll add it to their range. Naturally there is a HUGE support for all the major phone manufacturers and models and what's more delivery in the UK is completely FREE. What's even better is that Pie and Bovril users can get 10% off their order using the coupon code PIEANDBOV Take a look and browse the full range for your favourite club by clicking through to the website below. https://bit.ly/2M5laZs
Greenlantern

The Celtic 2018/19 thread

19 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Tierney, Lustig, Gamboa, Izaguirre, Ralston, Calvin Miller and now Gutman.

Short of fullbacks ??

Tierney has a hip injury and out for an undeterminedned period. As pointed out by several Dundee fans Miller is never a full back. Ralston, Lustig and Gamboa all out of contract in the summer. So that potentially leaves one recognised full back with a dodgy hip going in to European qualifiers. It bit us last year on the arse with not signing enough centre backs early doors.

Edited by gannonball

Tierney has a hip injury and out for an undeterminedned period. As pointed out by several Dundee fans Miller is never a full back. Ralston, Lustig and Gamboa all out of contract in the summer. So that potentially leaves one recognised full back with a dodgy hip going in to European qualifiers. It bit us last year on the arse with not signing enough centre backs early doors.
Ralston's contract isn't up until 2022. I can see Lustig, Gamboa and Izaguirre leaving so we do desperately need more full backs. We've needed a new right back for about 3 years so hopefully this will finally be sorted soon.

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Tierney, Lustig, Gamboa, Izaguirre, Ralston, Calvin Miller and now Gutman.

Short of fullbacks ??

Quick Summary

Tierney-Injured

Lustig-Past it

Gamboa-Not good enough

Izaguirre-Past it

Ralston-Not ready yet

Miller-Never a full back, should be a wing back or left midfielder

1 hour ago, senorsoupe said:

Quick Summary

Tierney-Injured

Lustig-Past it

Gamboa-Not good enough

Izaguirre-Past it

Ralston-Not ready yet

Miller-Never a full back, should be a wing back or left midfielder

Disagree,for me Ralston is ready just needs a run of games plus think izzy still has something to offer on the domestic level.

Just wondering if Celtic are going to buy a player during this transfer window who will immediately and unquestionably ( yes, I know ) strengthen the first eleven. The Tribute Act quite clearly have. Must be of concern, not least for the Europa ties ahead.

59 minutes ago, Big Chief Toffee Teeth said:

Just wondering if Celtic are going to buy a player during this transfer window who will immediately and unquestionably ( yes, I know ) strengthen the first eleven. The Tribute Act quite clearly have. Must be of concern, not least for the Europa ties ahead.

I think that's the idea, certainly in defence, both a Right Back and Centre Half are necessary and we have been liked with players that will be improvements on the current group.  If the Eladbellaoui come to fruition then it would be a significant upgrade on the aging Lustig

Edited by senorsoupe

1 hour ago, Big Chief Toffee Teeth said:

Other than loans Sinclair is the last I can think of that immediately strengthened the team. We have a very good track record of developing players on to the EPL rather than signing ones on the way down from there . Our current players  are generally worth well more than what we are usually prepared to pay which is why we more often than not run with a heavy surplus on player trading. This doesn’t bother me really as its a good model but given we know if a player is going to go in the next transfer window or two then we should be getting their replacements in ASAP so they can settle in and learn off the ones who are attracting attention.

6 hours ago, gannonball said:

Can’t see Miller getting near the team then given your squad is overloaded with options on the wing. Shame too as showed promise at Dundee.

I always thought Tierney would move on to a bigger league but the longer he is at you’s I think there is more chance of him spending his whole career there.

5 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Can’t see Miller getting near the team then given your squad is overloaded with options on the wing. Shame too as showed promise at Dundee.

I always thought Tierney would move on to a bigger league but the longer he is at you’s I think there is more chance of him spending his whole career there.

A hip injury being so young is very concerning for me, Look at Murrays announcement today.

8 minutes ago, gannonball said:

A hip injury being so young is very concerning for me, Look at Murrays announcement today.

Yes it is although I think he’ll recover well enough.

Will Ralston get an opportunity when Lustig and Gamboa go ?

21 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Yes it is although I think he’ll recover well enough.

Will Ralston get an opportunity when Lustig and Gamboa go ?

I would expect so. His progress was also stalled just after getting a few games then being out for 6 months and its now taken him nearly a year to get back in the team. For a young lad he's not the fastest though. 

12 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I would expect so. His progress was also stalled just after getting a few games then being out for 6 months and its now taken him nearly a year to get back in the team. For a young lad he's not the fastest though. 

His pace may not be as much of a problem against slower teams, for example I thought that he looked good against Motherwell, a team that isn't known for it's pace so Brendan may give him some more opportunities against teams like that.

30 minutes ago, gannonball said:

2.3 million bonus paid to Lawwel on Hogmany. The guy does a decent job but this is getting ridiculous.

Could have used the money on a defender lol

2.3 million bonus paid to Lawwel on Hogmany. The guy does a decent job but this is getting ridiculous.
Sure the tax dodgers Stud Fees have been covered for the year as well.

3 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Could have used the money on a defender lol

Exactly. Understandably  we cant match EPL wages but then why is Peter Lawwel the second highest paid CEO in Brittish football?

3 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
37 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Sure the tax dodgers Stud Fees have been covered for the year as well.

We have two billionaires with a decent wedge of shares in the club yet of anything they take money out each year in dividends. I find it funny when people think they bank roll us when they choose to take their dividend every year. I can remember MON offering to reimburse his dividend if Desmond did the same for a bigger transfer budget which was declined.

We have two billionaires with a decent wedge of shares in the club yet of anything they take money out each year in dividends. I find it funny when people think they bank roll us when they choose to take their dividend every year. I can remember MON offering to reimburse his dividend if Desmond did the same for a bigger transfer budget which was declined.
Being a Killie supporter, I am the black sheep of the family as everyone else supports Celtic. Every single one of them are highly critical of the underinvestment by Desmond & the part Lawell plays by restricting expenditure and pocketing massive bonuses for doing so. Every time it appears the natives are getting restless, they throw out some anti Sevco propaganda to deflect & the hordes fall for it. If Celtic really wanted to, they would be miles ahead of everyone else in this country but the people in charge seem to actively repress it which is utterly baffling.

Just now, Moomintroll said:
8 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Being a Killie supporter, I am the black sheep of the family as everyone else supports Celtic. Every single one of them are highly critical of the underinvestment by Desmond & the part Lawell plays by restricting expenditure and pocketing massive bonuses for doing so. Every time it appears the natives are getting restless, they throw out some anti Sevco propaganda to deflect & the hordes fall for it. If Celtic really wanted to, they would be miles ahead of everyone else in this country but the people in charge seem to actively repress it which is utterly baffling.

It was when Rangers died our underinvestment was baffling, Im pretty sure it was why Lennon walked as you would think they would have given him at least the same budget as the year before after getting to the latter stages of the champions league and were making profit. Waiting to see if we get champions league before we buy players is a terrible tactic as it has bitten us plenty times before costing us tens and tens of millions. See not get a centre back this summer as an example. Not spendng 4/5 million to lose out on 25 million.

What is frustrating the most is when we do make a loss our overdraft covers it, but when we make significant profit its taken away and not reinvested. This is not unique to Celtic but what people dont seem to understand is that it’s  little more than a profit making entity to Desmond and co.

I suspect that whoever is coming up with Transfer rumours at the Scottish Sun may have been drinking...

image.png.b20d3901bd76e9350705d310300f1661.png