The Celtic All Seasons thread

15 hours ago, WeeMentalDavie said:

Andrew Gutman, American left back who was on trial with ****, is now following Celtic on Twitter

#WelcomeGutman emoji631.png

Apparently him and the other college player Perez are near done deals. Relatively low risk signings who Im guessing wont be in the team any time soon but we are short of fullbacks and could have been down to just one in the summer.

4 hours ago, gannonball said:

Apparently him and the other college player Perez are near done deals. Relatively low risk signings who Im guessing wont be in the team any time soon but we are short of fullbacks and could have been down to just one in the summer.

I thought Manny Perez was already confirmed?  Maybe there are work permit related issues. 

3 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

I thought Manny Perez was already confirmed?  Maybe there are work permit related issues. 

He was on trial in december but dont think theres been official confirmation yet. Im guessing hes got a European passport or otherwise we would have no chance of getting him.

1 minute ago, gannonball said:

He was on trial in december but dont think theres been official confirmation yet. Im guessing hes got a European passport or otherwise we would have no chance of getting him.

A quick google search confirms that you are correct, for some reason I thought it was a done deal that he would join at the beginning of January

Edited by senorsoupe

Latest rumour has Celtic linked to Norwegian International Right Back Omar Eladbellaoui who plays for Olympiakos.  Rumour has it he could be available for around 4 million and further makes me think that people who write rumours are going through my old Football Manager saves.  For the record he was fantastic for me at Celtic in FM2018

19 hours ago, gannonball said:

Tierney, Lustig, Gamboa, Izaguirre, Ralston, Calvin Miller and now Gutman.

Short of fullbacks ??

19 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Short of fullbacks ??

Tierney has a hip injury and out for an undeterminedned period. As pointed out by several Dundee fans Miller is never a full back. Ralston, Lustig and Gamboa all out of contract in the summer. So that potentially leaves one recognised full back with a dodgy hip going in to European qualifiers. It bit us last year on the arse with not signing enough centre backs early doors.

Edited by gannonball

Tierney has a hip injury and out for an undeterminedned period. As pointed out by several Dundee fans Miller is never a full back. Ralston, Lustig and Gamboa all out of contract in the summer. So that potentially leaves one recognised full back with a dodgy hip going in to European qualifiers. It bit us last year on the arse with not signing enough centre backs early doors.
Ralston's contract isn't up until 2022. I can see Lustig, Gamboa and Izaguirre leaving so we do desperately need more full backs. We've needed a new right back for about 3 years so hopefully this will finally be sorted soon.

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Short of fullbacks ??

Quick Summary

Tierney-Injured

Lustig-Past it

Gamboa-Not good enough

Izaguirre-Past it

Ralston-Not ready yet

Miller-Never a full back, should be a wing back or left midfielder

1 hour ago, senorsoupe said:

Quick Summary

Tierney-Injured

Lustig-Past it

Gamboa-Not good enough

Izaguirre-Past it

Ralston-Not ready yet

Miller-Never a full back, should be a wing back or left midfielder

Disagree,for me Ralston is ready just needs a run of games plus think izzy still has something to offer on the domestic level.

59 minutes ago, Big Chief Toffee Teeth said:

Just wondering if Celtic are going to buy a player during this transfer window who will immediately and unquestionably ( yes, I know ) strengthen the first eleven. The Tribute Act quite clearly have. Must be of concern, not least for the Europa ties ahead.

I think that's the idea, certainly in defence, both a Right Back and Centre Half are necessary and we have been liked with players that will be improvements on the current group.  If the Eladbellaoui come to fruition then it would be a significant upgrade on the aging Lustig

Edited by senorsoupe

1 hour ago, Big Chief Toffee Teeth said:

Just wondering if Celtic are going to buy a player during this transfer window who will immediately and unquestionably ( yes, I know ) strengthen the first eleven. The Tribute Act quite clearly have. Must be of concern, not least for the Europa ties ahead.

Other than loans Sinclair is the last I can think of that immediately strengthened the team. We have a very good track record of developing players on to the EPL rather than signing ones on the way down from there . Our current players  are generally worth well more than what we are usually prepared to pay which is why we more often than not run with a heavy surplus on player trading. This doesn’t bother me really as its a good model but given we know if a player is going to go in the next transfer window or two then we should be getting their replacements in ASAP so they can settle in and learn off the ones who are attracting attention.

6 hours ago, gannonball said:

Can’t see Miller getting near the team then given your squad is overloaded with options on the wing. Shame too as showed promise at Dundee.

I always thought Tierney would move on to a bigger league but the longer he is at you’s I think there is more chance of him spending his whole career there.

5 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Can’t see Miller getting near the team then given your squad is overloaded with options on the wing. Shame too as showed promise at Dundee.

I always thought Tierney would move on to a bigger league but the longer he is at you’s I think there is more chance of him spending his whole career there.

A hip injury being so young is very concerning for me, Look at Murrays announcement today.