The Celtic All Seasons thread

14 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

Rodgers has definitely been great in Scotland. I don't think anyone will do what he's done for a very long time. But he's a complete imbecile in Europe and has been well below par. 

This.  It'll benefit Celtic in the long run as it was clear from the summer that Rodgers was working his ticket.  I doubt any Celtic fan will be expecting a treble every season, and I'm sure they'd happily give up a cup each season to do something in Europe.

Rodgers' record in Europe was abysmal. 

Strachan led Celtic to defeat Milan, Man Utd and they reached the Last 16 of the Champions League (twice).

Lennon led Celtic to defeat Barcelona and they reached the Last 16 of the Champions League.

Rodgers led Celtic to 1 win in 12 Champions League Group Stage games (none at home) and reduced the Celtic fans to be a group of fans who were celebrating in the stands after a 2-1 defeat to RB Salzburg in  the second-tier European Competition.

This.  It'll benefit Celtic in the long run as it was clear from the summer that Rodgers was working his ticket.  I doubt any Celtic fan will be expecting a treble every season, and I'm sure they'd happily give up a cup each season to do something in Europe.
Strachan led Celtic to defeat Milan, Man Utd and they reached the Last 16 of the Champions League (twice).
Lennon led Celtic to defeat Barcelona and they reached the Last 16 of the Champions League.
Rodgers led Celtic to 1 win in 12 Champions League Group Stage games (none at home) and reduced the Celtic fans to be a group of fans who were celebrating in the stands after a 2-1 defeat to RB Salzburg in  the second-tier European Competition.
Don't forget Rodgers first game being a 1-0 humbling to the world beaters of Lincoln Red Imps from Gibraltar

BRENDAN RODGERS HERE FOR 10 IN A ROW.

Excellent Domestically, to be expected. Abject Failure in Europe, not to be expected. 

Average job overall. The double (treble) treble is still, however, an impressive feat despite the huge financial gap between Celtic and the rest of the teams in the league combined. 

19 minutes ago, Acastus said:

Celtic could have refused Leicester permission to speak to Rogers and likewise Rogers could have waited til  atleast the summer. 

He's jumped at the first chance and to Leicester City says it all really.

Going by the statement Celtic released, and the rumours that are flying about, Celtic did refuse permission initially, but Rodgers demanded the right to speak to them.

5 minutes ago, Desp said:

Football has changed a hell of a lot since Strachans time, but even he had a few shockers. 5-0 in Bratislava being the obvious one, some horrendous displays against the likes of Copenhagen and Aalborg that also stick out. Over the piece though he was definitely a better manager in Europe.

Lennon probably made his entire reputation off the back of that Barcelona result. Definitely took attention away from being outclassed by Braga, humiliated by Utrecht, pumped by Sion and a then record 6-1 beating at the Nou Camp. His Euro record isn't great, arguably poorer than Rodgers by most measures.

Rodgers problem is that he refuses to change approach no matter the opposition. The same reason he has won everything domestically is the reason he has been on the end of some monumental scuddings in Europe. Overall though, he has done about what you would expect a Celtic manager to do. 2/3 CL qualifications, 2/3 in Europe after christmas. I'm not sure anyone could do any more right now.

Both of them benefit from the European clusterfuck that was Deila's time in charge. One looks better in hindsight because of that, one looked better with that in the immediate past.

3 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:
2 hours ago, Suspect Device said:
Leicester are a bigger club than Celtic.

You're gonnae need a bigger boat.

Turnover of £233m. That's bigger than Celtic. Football is a business. Leicester's business is bigger than Celtic's business,

Leicester are bigger than Celtic. There can be no argument about it. 

1 minute ago, Suspect Device said:

Turnover of £233m. That's bigger than Celtic. Football is a business. Leicester's business is bigger than Celtic's business,

Leicester are bigger than Celtic. There can be no argument about it. 

Some might argue it's about domestic trophies or European success in that case Aberdeen are bigger than Leicester....

3 hours ago, Louis Litt said:

Paul the Tim deleting his tweets last night implying that he was staying :lol:

Next thing you'll be telling me that sitting outside the ground on transfer deadline doesn't actually make you ITK and just makes you a massive loser. 

Paul the Tim isn't in the know. He works every hour under the sun in Asda in Linwood and is the fucking slowest checkout boy in the west. I actively avoid going to his checkout as he adds about 15 minutes onto your weekly shop as he's a sloth.