East Cup of (Football) Nations 2017-18

HibeeJibee

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LTHV 3-0 Vale of Leithen

Final - Saturday 31st March at Blackburn (3pm) - East Kilbride v Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale

East Kilbride and Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale qualify for East of Scotland Cup

3 minutes ago, stanley said:

3-0 win for LTHV.  Yet another match left to play for them now.  They must have some record by now against Lowland League opposition (not even including their wins over SPFL sides).

They have a phenomenal record v SPFL/LL. Of course it's their inability to get licensed which has prevented them from ascending.

2013-14 ... beat Threave, Stirling Uni (aet), Gala / lost to EK (aet), Spartans
2014-15 ... beat EK, Whitehill, Gretna / lost to EK, Edinburgh City
2015-16 ... beat Montrose, Huntly / lost to EK, Edinburgh City, Stirling Uni, Berwick (pens) / [also beat Girvan, Kelty]
2016-17 ... beat Preston, Whitehill, Selkirk, Hawick, Berwick, Edinburgh City / lost to EK, Spartans
2017-18 ... beat Inverurie, Stirling Albion, Gala (aet), Stirling Uni, Hawick, Vale of Leithen / lost to St Mirren

As you note their schedule also grows evermore pressurised - but they've overcome worse:

Sat 24 Mar     Ormiston (H)

Wed 28 Mar     Tweeedmouth (H)

Sat 31 Mar     East Kilbride (N) – EQC Final

Mon 02 Apr     Burntisland (H)

Wed 04 Apr     Tynecastle (H)

Sat 07 Apr     Preston (H)

Mon 09 Apr

Wed 11 Apr     Tynecastle (A)

Sat 14 Apr     - King Cup R2 | [Tynecastle v Eyemouth/Coldstream]

Mon 16 Apr     [Tynecastle v Kelty]

Wed 18 Apr     Leith (H)

Sat 21 Apr     Kelty (H)

Mon 23 Apr

Wed 25 Apr     [Tynecastle v Eyemouth]

Sat 28 Apr     Kelty (A) | [Tynecastle v Coldstream]

no date yet    Eyemouth (H)

Leith (H) – King Cup R1

East Kilbride 4-1 Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale

Took in this game in what was my first visit to the fine wee New Murrayfield Park in Blackburn... an excellent facility which wouldn't look out of place in the EOS or Lowland leagues. Crowd of 150-200 at a guesstimate, which while lower than recent years isn't unreasonable for a Saturday afternoon of Easter weekend, and there were more LTHV fans than I'd expected. Had it been the Sunday of last week's international weekend as originally scheduled, it would've been larger I'm sure.

EK came straight out of the blocks and scored within a few minutes then added another not long after from a good header. LTHV steadied the ship and both sides exchanged chances - but the killer blow came not long before HT when EK made it 3-0. LTHV responded by clawing a goal back early in the second half to make a game of it and then missed several great chances to really put the pressure on, but after the last of these EK went up the other end and won a penalty when LTHV's 'keeper fouled cleared a 1-on-1. Coolly taken to make 4-1 and they saw the rest out.

18 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

East Kilbride 4-1 Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale

Took in this game in what was my first visit to the fine wee New Murrayfield Park in Blackburn... an excellent facility which wouldn't look out of place in the EOS or Lowland leagues. Crowd of 150-200 at a guesstimate, which while lower than recent years isn't unreasonable for a Saturday afternoon of Easter weekend, and there were more LTHV fans than I'd expected. Had it been the Sunday of last week's international weekend as originally scheduled, it would've been larger I'm sure.

EK came straight out of the blocks and scored within a few minutes then added another not long after from a good header. LTHV steadied the ship and both sides exchanged chances - but the killer blow came not long before HT when EK made it 3-0. LTHV responded by clawing a goal back early in the second half to make a game of it and then missed several great chances to really put the pressure on, but after the last of these EK went up the other end and won a penalty when LTHV's 'keeper fouled cleared a 1-on-1. Coolly taken to make 4-1 and they saw the rest out.

I too was impressed with NMP. 

A good game and 4-1 slightly flattered us.  Clinical finishing was the difference and there was a pivotal moment when LTHV sub (15) hit the post with a header after a good move with the score at 3-1 and LTHV on the front foot.

As Craig also mentioned another flippin' sub-zero day....wasn't sure whether to drink my bovril or just dip my hands into it.

I too was impressed with NMP. 
A good game and 4-1 slightly flattered us.  Clinical finishing was the difference and there was a pivotal moment when LTHV sub (15) hit the post with a header after a good move with the score at 3-1 and LTHV on the front foot.
As Craig also mentioned another flippin' sub-zero day....wasn't sure whether to drink my bovril or just dip my hands into it.
I held onto my bovril until it wasn't hot enough to heat my hands up any more. Absolutely Baltic day!

• 2 months later...

Edinburgh City could happily have played, tbf, it would be LTHV who were up to the eyeballs.

City Cup arrangements have varied a lot over the years... at one time it was held-over as a matter of course (indeed if you think about it plenty competitions you qualify for the following season's edition: right the way down from CL & EL). There was also a spell when it got played as a 'mini-tournament' on Saturday-Sunday during pre-season. Recently it has usually been played in March/April, but sometimes held-over and played on September/October international dates.

Nonetheless, there can be no doubt that nowadays the EOS Qualifying Cup is a bigger deal in its own right; and a chance to play SPFL clubs in the EOS Cup a bonus rather than the key aspect.

Archived