Kilwinning Rangers 17/18

Scotlad

10 hours ago, The chassis said:

How would that work if my amateur team plays the dirrans the same day the buffs are at home? 

My guess would be that the amateur team would be moving dressing rooms to accommodate the more "senior" side in a similar fashion to what happens when Kilmarnock 19s play games at Pennyburn.

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know these things cost money but it would be good to see an artist's impression of what a potential stadium at KSC would look like, if it gets to the stage where a move might be imminent. It might help convince people who are unsure.

Just thinking ahead - it's conceivable that in 3-5 years the club could be entering the senior Scottish cup and bring drawn at home against an established league side. The last thing we want happening is seeing Beith, Talbot etc progressing through a pyramid and drawing some decent opposition in cups while we are unable to compete because the facilities aren't good enough.

Someone earlier mentioned away fans wouldn't be attracted to KSC because of a lack of shops/bookies etc. I think the only thing I really want when going to an away match is somewhere close and safe to park my car.

If they move ,there wi be a shop n bar at the park n local shop 300 yrs away.

4 hours ago, buffy1899 said:

I know these things cost money but it would be good to see an artist's impression of what a potential stadium at KSC would look like, if it gets to the stage where a move might be imminent. It might help convince people who are unsure.

I remember seeing an artists impression of Rob Roy's new stadium about two years ago, that is what it remains, an artists impression. No idea what the proposed new Kilwinning home is like, but to give up their current home considering all the work put in over the last couple of years may not be such a great idea. Surely a couple of portacabins could solve the dressing rooms issue in the short term with a view to a more permanent solution in the long term.

Public meeting 630 morra night about the future of Abbey park/move 2 Kilwinning sports club,sure 2 b rough ride,but the future of the club is what matters.maybe a cpl of bouncers needed[emoji23][emoji23]

On 6/27/2018 at 20:41, buffy1899 said:

The meeting was proposed my supporters n ex committee members 2 examine both staying at Abbey park and moving 2 ksc.

As a Public meeting that was an ordeal, everybody packed into the bar area and not enough seats and no ventilation and so hot that some had to leave because of overheating.

Who called for the meeting?   Well, it was stated that John Bennett had requested it, yet when challenged about his funding plan for the replacement dressing room he took exception to something and left the meeting.   Another guy who was assigned the task of getting quotes for the work said he started the process but was of the opinion that the committee were no longer interested so he didn't forward the information to the designated recipient who thus was in no position to pass said info to the committee.   He was in favour of a modular building despite having previously opposed it in a more than forthright manner.    There were several opinions expressed about the potential difficulties of moving to Kilwinning Sports club completely, as it appears that the playing squad are already using it for all their training and are familiar with all their facilities.

However, it was clearly stated from the top table that the meeting's main purpose was to consider solutions to enable the club to continue using Abbey Park and efforts were made to direct the discussion  in that direction.

Some information that came to light during the debate was the history of offers for sale of Abbey Park from the days of Palmer and IDC / North Ayrshire Council.

There will be a follow up public meeting in either 7 or 14 days when fully costed plans and the source of funding should be available.

There seems to be a consensus that staying at Abbey Park is the preferred option.   Somehow the problem changing rooms and showers has to be solved, at least before the end of next season.

Although there will be many alternative options I think that one way would be the buying of the ground ... it seems to me to be foolish to spend money on buildings which sit on someone else's property which is leased or rented.  If the council sold the ground to the club for the suggested £1 then a loan secured on the property could be raised and repaid from The Ground Development Fund.

Surely other Scottish junior Clubs have solved similar problems  without becoming absorbed as a Community Sports Club, does anybody know of them?

Remaining at Abbey Park would appear best plan to me as Sports Club option appears very complicated and a bit of a gamble. Recent improvements to playing surface at Abbey Park and other infrastructure are very positive but as stated the changing rooms are deplorable and have been for many years and should be a priority.
Wheelings and dealings at lots of semi pro cubs are complex - hope Buffs choose the best way forward and don’t let in fighting derail progress as has seemed to have happened regularly

Lot of passion for Abbey Park not one sensible word uttered about how to stay there. As a meeting it was shambolic. For me if you can’t be bothered stumping up the £1 a week to be a member you shouldn’t be near a meeting discussing the Buffs future. 

What exactly is a modular building?

Looking at it long term - if the plan is to integrate into a pyramid system and potentially climb the leagues, the facilities are going to have to be a lot better than they are, even with all the improvements. Room for expansion is limited and even more portacabins just looks cheap.

What was the opposition to the sports club and what were the reasons against it?

The sports club thing never really got discussed. It turned into a rammy about plans not provided/meeting times changed/ promises not delivered etc etc. The focus then moved when it became clear that the stay at Abbey Park contingent had nothing to present to a talk about fundraising and god help us another meeting.

Abbey Park is owned by the Council and is designated for Sports and Recreational use. If the Buffs can agree a long term lease for a reasonable annual fee what would be the harm in upgrading the facilities?

Largs Thistle, through a benefactor, spent £500k on an artificial surface on a Council owned property.

I don't believe that the residents of North Ayrshire would be happy at selling an asset that earns an annual income for £1. Nor do I believe NAC would be daft enough to agree to this. Even if they did agree to sell for £1 the Land is still designated for sports and recreational use which considerably reduces the value of the Land if it were to be used as a guarantee. Potential funders would also look at how any Loan could be re-paid in conjunction with normal operating costs.

The best option in my opinion is to determine how much it would cost to build dressing rooms and a Social Club on permanent foundations and then ask supporters for donations of £50 or £100 and arrange fundraisers specifically for upgrading facilities. 400 supporters @ £100 = £40,000.

Just to put the £40k figure in perspective the “Save the Buffs” campaign from a couple of decades ago raised £10k - stated at the public meeting. The fundamental problem is fund raising is not going to raise the required amount of money. 

What exactly is a modular building?

Looking at it long term - if the plan is to integrate into a pyramid system and potentially climb the leagues, the facilities are going to have to be a lot better than they are, even with all the improvements. Room for expansion is limited and even more portacabins just looks cheap.

What was the opposition to the sports club and what were the reasons against it?

Modular builds are Pre-fabricated before they are transported to site, Similar to a timber kit style, although assembled together before arrival and lifted off as a whole. Most come with everything ready to go-Electric, Plumbing..Would need a 150mm / 225mm concrete pad constructed with Drainage and services incorporated.

Can last a while if planned properly

From someone who doesn't have links to either the Buffs or KSC. 
There seems to be too many people who have conflicting interests due their involvement between KSC & the Buffs.
This is what happens when you have individuals who are board / committee members attached to both clubs, which should't have been allowed to happen.
The very recent financial problems at KSC are still fresh in people's mind in that it was near to closure, so what makes people think that they can raise the funds needed for  the Buff's.
The Buff should also be asking themselves what would happen if the same thing was to happen again at the Sports Club.
Surely it's in the best interest of the Buffs to remain independent  and have full control of their own destiny, rather than get into a relationship where there are too many grey area's.

As a Public meeting that was an ordeal, everybody packed into the bar area and not enough seats and no ventilation and so hot that some had to leave because of overheating.
Who called for the meeting?   Well, it was stated that John Bennett had requested it, yet when challenged about his funding plan for the replacement dressing room he took exception to something and left the meeting.   Another guy who was assigned the task of getting quotes for the work said he started the process but was of the opinion that the committee were no longer interested so he didn't forward the information to the designated recipient who thus was in no position to pass said info to the committee.   He was in favour of a modular building despite having previously opposed it in a more than forthright manner.    There were several opinions expressed about the potential difficulties of moving to Kilwinning Sports club completely, as it appears that the playing squad are already using it for all their training and are familiar with all their facilities.
However, it was clearly stated from the top table that the meeting's main purpose was to consider solutions to enable the club to continue using Abbey Park and efforts were made to direct the discussion  in that direction.
Some information that came to light during the debate was the history of offers for sale of Abbey Park from the days of Palmer and IDC / North Ayrshire Council.
There will be a follow up public meeting in either 7 or 14 days when fully costed plans and the source of funding should be available.
There seems to be a consensus that staying at Abbey Park is the preferred option.   Somehow the problem changing rooms and showers has to be solved, at least before the end of next season.
Although there will be many alternative options I think that one way would be the buying of the ground ... it seems to me to be foolish to spend money on buildings which sit on someone else's property which is leased or rented.  If the council sold the ground to the club for the suggested £1 then a loan secured on the property could be raised and repaid from The Ground Development Fund.
Surely other Scottish junior Clubs have solved similar problems  without becoming absorbed as a Community Sports Club, does anybody know of them?

The position at ksc was grossly exaggerated by local press and was a temporary cash flow problem caused by facilities unusable over a long winter.i feel the next meeting it should be the 3 people who proposed this modular building at the top table explaining exactly what it entails and how it's going 2 financed,as there was nothing concrete put fwd on Thurs and that's why 2 of them got up n left.

I was personally involved in the fundraising 4 ksc and the there was a need 4 restructuring and looking at the business as a whole and the club's paying monthly is what happens in most clubs over Europe 2 sustain the club in the quiet months.i understand it comment bout a person bn on both committees,but I think originally he was helping the restructuring,but now maybe it's a case where unless sum 1 cums up with 70 k,that it's at a time where both clubs need each other,buffs 4 the facilities 2 move fwd and ksc 4 another steady income.

Two things,

At the AGM and at the public meeting, there was little discussion about the pyramid structure. What impact does this have on a potential move to Pennyburn or otherwise?

Secondly, my belief from the AGM was that the public meeting was to voice the pros and cons of staying or moving. Instead the meeting turned into a rabble about the plans and finance for a modular building, a very narrow debate.

The public meeting served to highlight the strong emotions around this subject and for this alone the meeting was worthwhile.

In theory, if the changing rooms just about hold up, we have a year to determine the best way forward for the club. Thats the only aim now, to try and get past the emotions and find a way to put the club on a sound footing for the future.

Archived