League Predictions

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, roman_bairn said:

Is it pantomime season? emoji23.png

Have you only just discovered emticons?  The mark of someone backtracking if ever i saw it.  

Have you only just discovered emticons?  The mark of someone backtracking if ever i saw it.  

You really want to score this point don't you...ya numbskull.

I'll leave you to have the last word. [emoji362][emoji362][emoji362][emoji362]

11 hours ago, Afrojim said:

I thought It was a fairly even handed assessment of the league that I had made. It is all entirely "ifs" but that is what early league table predictions are, conjecture is the entire point of them. My conjecture was not entirely without precedence though.

It is not unknown for a team that finished in the play-offs one season to be relegated the next - just ask Raith Rovers. In terms of transfer activity I was fully aware that Morton had signed McHugh and Thomson and agree entirely that it is a significant upgrade on Shankland and Oyunuga but Bob McHugh isn't known for his prolific goal scoring exploits (19 goals in 112 games) and Thomson scored 11 league goals last season - although that is fairly impressive at Dumbarton. Morton's top league scorer last season was Forbes who converted just 9 out of 68 chances. 

An inability to score goals is not a new problem for Morton. Derek Lilley in 96-97 was the last player to score 15 league goals for Morton in the second tier of Scottish football. Here's Morton's goal scoring record in the second tier since Lilley scored 15 goals in one season...

16-17 -  Scored 44 the lowest of all the teams that stayed up

15-16 - Scored 39 the second lowest of all the teams that stayed up

13-14 - Scored 32 - relegated

12-13 - Scored 73 the second highest - finished second

11-12 - Scored 40 second lowest overall

10-11 - Scored 39 third lowest overall

09-10 - Scored 40 third lowest overall

08-09 - Scored 40 fourth lowest overall

07-08 - Scored 40 joint lowest

00-01 - Scored 34 lowest - relegated

99-00 - Scored 45 fourth lowest

98-99 - Scored 45 fourth highest

97-98 - Scored 40 joint lowest

96-97 - scored 42 third lowest

... It's pretty consistent is it not? Apart from two anomalous seasons (98-99 when 45 goals was bizarrely the fourth highest and 12-13 when Morton went on a goal scoring spree) Morton have struggled to score many goals at this level. To suggest that Morton may struggle to score goals next season is not an unfair comment.

This season is likely to be the most evenly balanced Championship season for a while as there's no Hearts, Hibs or Rangers to win 20+ games. There's no obvious whipping boys either, maybe Brechin will struggle but then maybe not. The 13-14 season was the last season without those three bigger clubs, Cowdenbeath finished second bottom with 11 wins that season, Morton won 13 last season. There was only 13 points between 4th and 9th last season. The margin for error next season will likely be minimal and Morton have a consistently obvious weakness. 

I think as others have pointed out, we had one of the best defensive records but also, we lost our main striker to injury in December and played the rest of the season without a decent finisher upfront.

The other factor last season was that our fringe players were not good enough limiting squad rotation options so that the 14/15 players who were the recognised first pick were relied on so much, including through fairly decent cup runs, that they ran out of legs in March.

Our signings so far are on paper at least, better than the players they replace and with a couple more to come they give far better rotation options.  We also have Quitongo back fit which is as good as a new player.

You never know in football, but potentially we have improved the team that finished fourth last season.  I suppose Raith fans thought that this time last year as well!

1.Brechin 

2. United 

3.St Mirren

4.Dunfermline

5.QOS

6.Falkirk

7.Dumbarton

8. Caley 

9.Morton

10.Livingston 

Just thought id buck the trend ...:thumsup2

Seriously though anything other than automatic relegation will be a massive achievement..

We will be top 4 easy and St. Mirren won't be world beaters everyone seems to think. Amazing what win bonuses and playing for your career can do to performances.

Dundee United 

St Mirren 

Inverness 

Falkirk 

Dunfermline

Morton 

QOTS

Livingston 

Dumbarton 

Brechin 

St Mirren to beat Kilmarnock in the playoffs 

In ma wee heid that's how it's going to pan out anyway. 

23 hours ago, Gbud84 said:

Dundee United 

St Mirren 

Inverness 

Falkirk 

Dunfermline

Morton 

QOTS

Livingston 

Dumbarton 

Brechin 

St Mirren to beat Kilmarnock in the playoffs 

In ma wee heid that's how it's going to pan out anyway. 

Agree. Though United are signing some crap and a few good ones will be interesting to see how the first quarter goes for them as it will for everyone to be honest. 

1. Dundee United (C)
--------------------------------
2. Falkirk
3. Inverness CT (P)
4. St Mirren
5. Morton
6. Dunfermline
7. Queen of the South
8. Livingston
9. Dumbarton
10. Brechin (R)

That's while knowing next to nothing about the other teams. All I know is that we've not finished above Dumbarton in 5 years, so I'm aiming high.

ICT have no chance of winning the league. History tells you very few bounce back up first time. Probably play off spot for them. 

Queens 2nd bottom.....below league newcomers Brechin and Livi!!! Fuckin' ignorant Highland teuchter.

Archived