Prague

Kryptonite

On 13/09/2018 at 22:04, virginton said:

Has anyone visited the Vinohradský pivovar? It got mentioned in the Guardian this week as part of a typical click piece on good places to have a beer abroad; it's the first that the place has come to my attention. I'll be visiting Prague over the Christmas period and wouldn't mind visiting somewhere different alongside the likes of U Sudu and U Slovanské Lipy.

I wouldn't bother if I were you.

IMG_0484.jpg

For the first time in years I’m drinking Kout na Šumavě’s 10 degree lager. 10 degree beers are about 4% ABV and are usually overlooked in favour of Pilsner Urquell (12) or other stronger beers that have more flavour. Kout’s flavour profile however is different to but arguably even better than the classic pilsner type. It’s comfortably the best 4 percent beer I’ve ever tasted. If you’re visiting Prague, Czechia or even Slovakia then this is definitely an obscure beer to look out for on the menu.

• 2 weeks later...

Was there with the missus for a long weekend.

Although the very first beer we got was a ripoff  at Kc110 for Pilsner Urquell, the next beer was just down the road at U Mlynare and it was only Kc29 for Krušovice 10 degree.

After that we found pretty much every bar was charging Kc40-50. Got a really good fruit beer too.  Also tried a flight of beers at the Prague Beer Museum which was tasty but many of the beers on the menu seemed to be British or other IPAs etc. Tried Urquell unfiltered and got Kozel Dark for the missus and other stuff I’ve forgotten. Also had slivovice just to compare it to the Slovenian slivovka. 

Beer at Doliček was Kc80 although I think you were supposed to keep the somewhat elaborate plastic tumbler which had a belt loop :lol: Dukla charged Kc 40 or maybe it was 30, but in the usual skimpy disposable plastic glass. The early 6am flight on Friday had addled my brain and I had paid Kc200 for a Bohemians pin badge from an old c**t outside Doliček before I realised it was about £7.40, more than the match ticket  :(

We stayed at Hotel D.A.C. in Prague 6. This was actually the Army hotel previously. The station Devická for Metro line A was right outside the door and we were 3 stops to the Old Town at Staromēstská. Going the other way, it was on the right side for the airport and no problem at all on public transport. It was a short tram ride or half hour walk north to Dukla and the same distance south to the castle, and about the same eastwards to Sparta.

Went down to Charles Bridge at dawn on Sunday to take photos but still a fair number of people about, mainly Japanese waving selfie sticks. Got my ticket inspected on the way back too :lol: The guy could easily have been ex special forces, he didn't f**k about anyway. Also went there at sunset on Monday. Gave the Žižkov tower a miss and went to the National Monument instead, a nice sunday stroll and a great viewpoint.

Fun fact :lol: Going to Doliček on the Metro I changed at Náměstí Míru which is the deepest station in the network at 53m. The escalator was so long I looked it up. It takes 2min 20 secs to travel the escalator, the longest in the EU. 

Big shout out to our local bar Kulaták at Devická, definitely the best bar we were in.

TL;DL version: wonderful place. Hard comparing it to Krakow as we were there in the winter.

Edited by The Mantis

• 5 weeks later...

Just back, it's changed a bit since I was last there in 1992. I was with the Wife so she was less enthusiastic about going off track to find cheap beer. No complaints even in the "expensive" places.  I stuck to darker beers you don't get, readily, here. 

Stayed in the Carlton, 5 minutes walk from Zizkov's park, no game unfortunately, but can recommend the hotel. Easy transport everywhere.

There was loads of Copenhagen supporters arrived on Thursday to up the arsehole quota, not that I seen much bad behaviour. The worst were middle aged Scottish women. I might have been more tolerant if I hadn't taken one with me as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Stunning city is Prague. We were there in April. Good weather and never came across and stag groups although there are loads of annoying teenager school trips.

Architecture is amazing, very clean, reasonably priced (food is average) and beer is great.

Would definitely go back.

logo 1600 x 1200 (1 of 1)-56.jpg

logo 1600 x 1200 (1 of 1)-100.jpg

logo 1600 x 1200 (1 of 1)-101.jpg

6 hours ago, Stevo Fife said:

Stunning city is Prague. We were there in April. Good weather and never came across and stag groups although there are loads of annoying teenager school trips.

Architecture is amazing, very clean, reasonably priced (food is average) and beer is great.

Would definitely go back.

Was there in September. Went to the Charles Bridge at dawn one morning and there were TWO of those wedding shoot things going on. Both Japanese (at least I think so), as were almost all the people who were about at that time of the morning. 

I was there in 2014 and loved it.

I haven't seen the nuclear bunker mentioned in the thread.  It was a little out from the centre but easy enough to get to by using the metro.  Definitely worth a visit.

http://www.prague-special-tours.com/museum-home-page

You get to play dress-up with some old USSR uniforms at the end and spoof some early Manic Street Preachers photo shoots.

Spoiler

10013561_10152306326131221_128547562_n.jpg.0695f6c18e1845a8cfdd4e6852d90814.jpg

My only regret about Prague is being obvlivious to their ice cream doughnut things when I was out there.  Literally two of my favourite things in one go.

Edited by bunglebonce

4 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

I was there in 2014 and loved it.

I haven't seen the nuclear bunker mentioned in the thread.  It was a little out from the centre but easy enough to get to by using the metro.  Definitely worth a visit.

http://www.prague-special-tours.com/museum-home-page

You get to play dress-up with some old USSR uniforms at the end and spoof some early Manic Street Preachers photo shoots.

Hide contents

10013561_10152306326131221_128547562_n.jpg.0695f6c18e1845a8cfdd4e6852d90814.jpg

My only regret about Prague is being obvlivious to their ice cream doughnut things when I was out there.  Literally two of my favourite things in one go.

Oblivious? They're on sale every 50 yards.

31 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I prefer a sausage anyway, or a nice bit of pork from a street vendor,

Last time I was there I made the mistake of buying a hot dog while a trifle inebriated.

Was about £3 (95czk or someting), but they proceeded to lump a load of toppings on it without asking me and charged me £10 for it.

Wasn't even good.

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Probably a bit of a basic question here folks, but what’s the best way of getting into the city from the airport? I’ve see the AE bus mentioned but is there a rail link?

There is no train link,if you want you can take a bus from the airport to a metro stop and get a metro into the city centre/close to your digs

You can pre book a shared minibus and they will drop you off at your digs and also pick you up for your return journey

Edited by doulikefish

Probably a bit of a basic question here folks, but what’s the best way of getting into the city from the airport? I’ve see the AE bus mentioned but is there a rail link?
We got the airport express bus which goes from the terminal building and drops you off at Prague train station.