Prague

Kryptonite

Couple of tickets purchased for Dukla v Plzen on Saturday. Neither side has anything to play for with Dukla safe from relegation and Plzen now confirmed as champions. Will break up the time between the beer and the strippers I guess...

Will try and get a visit of St Cyril and St Methodius Cathedral before the game, might also try and visit the grave of Johnny Madden, the Scotsman credited as "The father of Czech football". The graveyard appears to be relatively close to my hotel.

7 hours ago, Ross. said:

Couple of tickets purchased for Dukla v Plzen on Saturday. Neither side has anything to play for with Dukla safe from relegation and Plzen now confirmed as champions. Will break up the time between the beer and the strippers I guess...

Will try and get a visit of St Cyril and St Methodius Cathedral before the game, might also try and visit the grave of Johnny Madden, the Scotsman credited as "The father of Czech football". The graveyard appears to be relatively close to my hotel.

If you re staying near there I would suggest popping in to http://www.expatsbbqbar.com/ It has a wanky name but doesn't really reflect the customers, The owner has to explain it to everyone which is why it doesn't work.

His reasoning is that, because the borders of CZ have been re-drawn so many times, almost everyone is an ex-pat....but to everyone else, it sounds like a place where a  bunch of semi-racist Brits drinking London pride and complaining about the locals. It isn't, it is mostly locals who like English football and American students watching college sports. 

12 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

If you re staying near there I would suggest popping in to http://www.expatsbbqbar.com/ It has a wanky name but doesn't really reflect the customers, The owner has to explain it to everyone which is why it doesn't work.

His reasoning is that, because the borders of CZ have been re-drawn so many times, almost everyone is an ex-pat....but to everyone else, it sounds like a place where a  bunch of semi-racist Brits drinking London pride and complaining about the locals. It isn't, it is mostly locals who like English football and American students watching college sports. 

Might have a wee look for that place as  a venue for watching the CL final. Don't really want to end up stuck surrounded by stag do's or lads weekend types who are backing either team.

Might have a wee look for that place as  a venue for watching the CL final. Don't really want to end up stuck surrounded by stag do's or lads weekend types who are backing either team.

It isn’t stag party friendly and doesn’t have fold touting for it in the centrum so tends to be bellend free

Never quite got round to doing everything I had planned but the place is tremendous and the trip was outstanding. Will definitely go back at some point and take in a lot more of it.

I went to an ex-pats pub in Prague (not the one shown) and it was fucking grim. Wallpapering tables and plastic seats ... American football blaring out of every telly ... the food looked shite and everyone was smoking so much weed you could barely breathe. 

On 6/3/2018 at 16:26, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I went to an ex-pats pub in Prague (not the one shown) and it was fucking grim. Wallpapering tables and plastic seats ... American football blaring out of every telly ... the food looked shite and everyone was smoking so much weed you could barely breathe. 

Smoking is banned in pubs over there now fortunately 

24 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Smoking is banned in pubs over there now fortunately 

Not enforced everywhere sadly. Went to a massive underground cavernous type pub last October which would have been pretty cool had it not been for the fact that every man and his dog was smoking. 

• 2 weeks later...
Never quite got round to doing everything I had planned but the place is tremendous and the trip was outstanding. Will definitely go back at some point and take in a lot more of it.

Ross, think you visited Prague most recently on this thread. What were you paying for food and drink? Heading over in October. Been once before but about 10 years ago now.

11 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Ross, think you visited Prague most recently on this thread. What were you paying for food and drink? Heading over in October. Been once before but about 10 years ago now.

Price varied but largely very little. Was there with my brother who is tee total and hates crowds so we stayed away from most of the touristy spots. Most of the pubs we were in, as well as the football and speedway grounds were charging between 30 and 40 CZK per beer. From talking to others, some of the busier and better known establishments were charging several multiples of that. On the food front, I can't really say, outside of the hotel breakfast I ate very little and didn't get to see much of the culinary options(Brother has aspergers and is an absolute f*cking nightmare when it comes to trying new food). The place next to our hotel(Hoffa Bar I think it was) was decent and cheap enough, though not massively cheaper than Scotland. Was there from Friday evening until Sunday afternoon, lifted 5000 CZK when I arrived and left with around 600 despite drinking almost non stop from arriving until departing, and that was paying for everything for the pair of us.

Price varied but largely very little. Was there with my brother who is tee total and hates crowds so we stayed away from most of the touristy spots. Most of the pubs we were in, as well as the football and speedway grounds were charging between 30 and 40 CZK per beer. From talking to others, some of the busier and better known establishments were charging several multiples of that. On the food front, I can't really say, outside of the hotel breakfast I ate very little and didn't get to see much of the culinary options(Brother has aspergers and is an absolute f*cking nightmare when it comes to trying new food). The place next to our hotel(Hoffa Bar I think it was) was decent and cheap enough, though not massively cheaper than Scotland. Was there from Friday evening until Sunday afternoon, lifted 5000 CZK when I arrived and left with around 600 despite drinking almost non stop from arriving until departing, and that was paying for everything for the pair of us.

Sounds promising then. Going as part of a stag do so I’m expecting the worst but knowing most the boys I’m going with it we won’t be the worst offenders during the day and probably be getting sit down lunches etc.

ETA: sorry, meant to say thanks for advising [emoji106]

1 minute ago, NJ2 said:

Sounds promising then. Going as part of a stag do so I’m expecting the worst but knowing most the boys I’m going with it we won’t be the worst offenders during the day and probably be getting sit down lunches etc.

I think if you avoid Wenceslas Square and the streets immediately around it for most of the day, you should be cheap enough. Was told a few places in and around there were charging 150-200 a beer which is more expensive than Glasgow. I was happy paying a quid a pop for a 500ml bottle of Pilsner Urqeull.

I think if you avoid Wenceslas Square and the streets immediately around it for most of the day, you should be cheap enough. Was told a few places in and around there were charging 150-200 a beer which is more expensive than Glasgow. I was happy paying a quid a pop for a 500ml bottle of Pilsner Urqeull.

Spot on. I can remember the square from last time, imagine that would be the obvious place we aim for but will try and remember to take a 10/15 min walk one way or another and see if we can find cheaper places. Probably be weather dependent as well. Can’t see a 15 minute walk in the pissing rain to save £4 appealing much at the time!

49 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Spot on. I can remember the square from last time, imagine that would be the obvious place we aim for but will try and remember to take a 10/15 min walk one way or another and see if we can find cheaper places. Probably be weather dependent as well. Can’t see a 15 minute walk in the pissing rain to save £4 appealing much at the time!

Fortunately the weather was something I didn't have to worry about, beyond making sure I didn't get burnt to a crisp!

Fortunately the weather was something I didn't have to worry about, beyond making sure I didn't get burnt to a crisp!

Hopefully it’s the same for us, doubt we’re that lucky though.

1 minute ago, virginton said:

^^^ doing it wrong

Meh. I mentioned the first one that came to mind as I couldn't be fucked adding the names of half a dozen other beers I drunk over that weekend also.

It's the bottle part that you were doing wrong. The taste of a pilsner is largely made (and can be altered) by the pour - having a skilled person at the tap is key to both a good beer and a good pub.  

Apparently the best man's planned activities for the stag weekend are drinking and going to the football.   I'm all in favour of this, hopefully we'll avoid too much stag night fuckery.