Prague

Kryptonite

I had a few decent pints into the mix too but given that sometimes it was more about convenience than quality, I was happy enough with my beer experience in Prague. Thanks for the concern though.

2 hours ago, Ross. said:

I had a few decent pints into the mix too but given that sometimes it was more about convenience than quality, I was happy enough with my beer experience in Prague. Thanks for the concern though.

Weird how you usually pay nearly double for bottled beer over here compared to draught whereas the reverse is true on most of the continent. And you likely swerved getting a shitely poured overpriced pint from a crap barman with the bottled Urquell.

• 2 weeks later...

Just spent a terrific week in Prague doing the tourist stuff, probably just before it gets heaving with people like me.  Loved the place.

Due to when I get paid, I had to restrict what I could take in Czech currency and used my debit card when I got there.  I got 36 crowns to the £ before I went, and 26 to the £ from the hole in the wall machines in Prague.

For what it's worth, I preferred the Prague beer, Staropramen, to the Plzen stuff.  Some of the Urquell / Budweiser beer I got tasted a wee bit too like Tennents; maybe I was just unlucky or was expecting a bit more.  Wine in restaurants is ridiculously overpriced.  One exception in the centre was the Vejvodovka in the street of that name; great food and staff and a bottle of wine was less than half of what everywhere else was charging.

Not as many stag and lads do's as I'd dreaded but they are a feckin nightmare; I'll venture onto the naughty step and say that the English ones are the worst...invariably screaming and shouting at each other always one of them looking to be aggressive.  Irish pubs attract them like crazy.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

Went for a rare night out in the Centrum on Thursday night, led to a 3am visit to the 24 hour McDonalds on Wenceslas Square. Crowd of guys in wearing the usual Cockney stag-do attire and a couple proudly sporting the three lions. One thought it would be funny to walk behind the counter, leading to the young lassie working behind it to shite herself, 

she screamed, thy all laughed, this happened three more times before a male member of staff went mental and started screaming, pushing the fourth w**k to do it out up the stairs. 

Not being in Prague one much any more when I am over, arrogant city breaking middle aged Brexity couples had overtaken Stag-do's as my object of contempt but now, Stag do's are number one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
8 hours ago, ICTChris said:

How much money would be reasonable to change for two days out drinking in Prague?

Depends where you go, you are probably looking at 50Kc a beer in most (non tourist) bars in the centrum, I normally work out Kc at about 1000Kc to £30 so probably about £1.50 a pint.  It breaks my heart because I used to get a pint of Kozel for 17Kc

Irish/tourist bars you are looking at twice that. 

Sticking to beer (no strip clubs/sports bars) and 48 hours of drinking you could spend less than £100

Had an excellent weekend in Prague. There were a few flight issues but when we finally all arrived we were staying in apartments in Zizkov, with a view into the Viktoria Zizkov ground. We spent quite a bit of time drinking in bars around the apartments, which were all excellent and cheap (35 kr for a beer in the place right next door). Seemed a pretty cool area, wouldn’t mind returning there for a normal holiday.

On the second day we did typical stag stuff, including fancy dress and went into the centre. I was expecting people to be kind of annoyed at us but people were actually very friendly and a good laugh. We weren’t actually being complete dicks though, justbwalking from place to place. We spent a bit of time at the Beer Museum, went to a few other smaller bars and then got the tram out to the Slavia Prague stadium.

Slavia has loads of beer kiosks and food places outside the ground, we stood for an hour or so drinking pints until we went in. It’s a modern ground but built close to the pitch and had a great atmosphere, the Slavia ultras section was impressive. The game was Slavia v Plzen and Slavia won 4-0, I thought the reigning champions and a current Champions league team would’ve been better but they were poor. We also got to see VAR in action - Slavia got a VAR penalty for handball, missed it, were then given another penalty almost immediately for a foul in the aftermath and scored it.

After that we went back to the apartments and then went out in town, changed out of our outfits. We went to a few clubs and bars, it was a good night, a lot more expensive than Zizkov but was a decent laugh.

On the Sunday we had to get out of the apartments by 11am and a few in the group wanted to watch the Old Frim game so we went into town and went to an Irish pub. It was fairly nondescript, same as any Irish bar anywhere, they did a decent breakfast to be fair. After thenOF game finished we had a couple of beers in some nearby pubs and went back to the airport.

I can’t remember the names of any place we went but all the places on Zizkov were good. If I saw photos I could remember them.

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Had an excellent weekend in Prague. There were a few flight issues but when we finally all arrived we were staying in apartments in Zizkov, with a view into the Viktoria Zizkov ground. We spent quite a bit of time drinking in bars around the apartments, which were all excellent and cheap (35 kr for a beer in the place right next door). Seemed a pretty cool area, wouldn’t mind returning there for a normal holiday.

On the second day we did typical stag stuff, including fancy dress and went into the centre. I was expecting people to be kind of annoyed at us but people were actually very friendly and a good laugh. We weren’t actually being complete dicks though, justbwalking from place to place. We spent a bit of time at the Beer Museum, went to a few other smaller bars and then got the tram out to the Slavia Prague stadium.

Slavia has loads of beer kiosks and food places outside the ground, we stood for an hour or so drinking pints until we went in. It’s a modern ground but built close to the pitch and had a great atmosphere, the Slavia ultras section was impressive. The game was Slavia v Plzen and Slavia won 4-0, I thought the reigning champions and a current Champions league team would’ve been better but they were poor. We also got to see VAR in action - Slavia got a VAR penalty for handball, missed it, were then given another penalty almost immediately for a foul in the aftermath and scored it.

After that we went back to the apartments and then went out in town, changed out of our outfits. We went to a few clubs and bars, it was a good night, a lot more expensive than Zizkov but was a decent laugh.

On the Sunday we had to get out of the apartments by 11am and a few in the group wanted to watch the Old Frim game so we went into town and went to an Irish pub. It was fairly nondescript, same as any Irish bar anywhere, they did a decent breakfast to be fair. After thenOF game finished we had a couple of beers in some nearby pubs and went back to the airport.

I can’t remember the names of any place we went but all the places on Zizkov were good. If I saw photos I could remember them.

It wasn't McCarthy's was it?

I was in there for the Old Firm game too and we'd a group of Scottish guys beside us.

If a guy in a very old St Johntsone shirt kept trying to claim your food off the waiter than that was us...

It wasn't McCarthy's was it?
I was in there for the Old Firm game too and we'd a group of Scottish guys beside us.
If a guy in a very old St Johntsone shirt kept trying to claim your food off the waiter than that was us...

No it was Rocky O’Reillys.

On ‎28‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 10:51, Hampden Diehard said:

say that the English ones are the worst...invariably screaming and shouting at each other always one of them looking to be aggressive.  Irish pubs attract them like crazy.

sorry,but anyone going to a city like prague and going to irish bars deserves such company

sorry,but anyone going to a city like prague and going to irish bars deserves such company

Correct, which is why the only Irish pubs I frequent are in Ireland. Some of the Tartan Army seem to be fixated on finding an Irish pub wherever they go which I've never quite understood.

Has anyone visited the Vinohradský pivovar? It got mentioned in the Guardian this week as part of a typical click piece on good places to have a beer abroad; it's the first that the place has come to my attention. I'll be visiting Prague over the Christmas period and wouldn't mind visiting somewhere different alongside the likes of U Sudu and U Slovanské Lipy.

17 hours ago, virginton said:

Has anyone visited the Vinohradský pivovar? It got mentioned in the Guardian this week as part of a typical click piece on good places to have a beer abroad; it's the first that the place has come to my attention. I'll be visiting Prague over the Christmas period and wouldn't mind visiting somewhere different alongside the likes of U Sudu and U Slovanské Lipy.

I've been once, the beer was ok but the place felt a bit soulless, smart enough decor but a bit soulless. 

I used to go to this place every night after work, about £1.25 a pint
https://www.ustareposty.eu/

Prague hasn't been immune to the hipster pop-up boom but craft beer isn't something you would expect to sell well when you consider the great beers already on offer beyond Urqell, Budvar and Kozel. 

I do however like this place,  and there is a sister shop 2 doors up that has the best hangover bursting soup

https://www.cafefinvpraze.com/ 

18 hours ago, virginton said:

Off the beaten track but a pint of Benedict at Brevnovsky Klaster is worth sampling. Not normally one for book bars but Blatouch on Americka now does its own blonde number. Light with hints of citrus & pepper, very nice.