Prague

Kryptonite

I have been over a few times since lockdown ended. The city has changed a fair bit, It feels more like a European city now rather than a tourist destination. I normally stay just on the border of Prague 1 & 2, on the Prague 1 side of IP Pavlova and it was mostly Czech only in bars. Staying there is handy for the trams and undergrounds. 

I made the mistake of going for a walk on the Royal Route one of the days and made it as far as the small square on Karlova before I had to detour off at Liliova as it was impassable due to the amount of tourists. So the tourists are still there, but mostly only around the castle and the Charles Bridge. There was a hell of a lot of construction work going on as well. 

The city is full of Bolt cars and Wolt couriers, and a lot of the fast food restaurants have gone from the centrum.  

On 30/12/2022 at 22:49, NathanDrake88 said:

Anyone familiar with hotel hoffmiester in Prague 1 and what the area round the hotel is like? Looking at booking it for July/august next year. 

It is completely walkable to the main tourist area, I'd suggest buying a 36 hour transport ticket for the trams and underground though. 

On 31/12/2022 at 12:32, NathanDrake88 said:

Cheers badger. Should we get a taxi from the airport to the hotel or public transport?

There are two busses from the airport, the airport express (AE) that costs about £5 but the closest stop is Namesti Republiky which is miles away, You are staying on the green line so you would need to change at Mustek.

The other bus is the 119 that stops at an underground station, Nadrazi Veleslavin on the green line, Where you are staying is 4 stops on the underground. The transport tickets for it can be bought from a machine at the airport and cover busses, trams and the underground. You can get hourly to 72 hourly tickets for about £8. Or you can get a taxi from a booth at the airport and it will maybe cost £20

On 07/01/2023 at 23:34, virginton said:

I'm going over myself in April. Planning on doing a day trip back to Plzen (first visit since 2014) and a trip to the Svijany brewery well north-east of Prague.

I'd like to catch a Friday night or possibly a Saturday game before flying back from Berlin on the Sunday. The Prague derby is that weekend but Bohemians game or Jablonec v Liberec (a Port Glasgow v Greenock affair) are more realistic options. 

The Prague derby will almost certainly be moved to the Sunday. Almost all of Slavia and Plsen games are moved. 

Kutna Hora is worth a visit, an hour exactly on the train from Prague. It is a Unesco heritage site, The bone church is a waste of time but it is an ancient settlement. They do a local beer called Dacicky's that is nice, the Kutna Hora brewery craft beers are pretty rotten though. 

1028903m.jpg.c41970c629b9ad655305e300f8831463.jpg 

On 06/01/2023 at 00:25, Arch Stanton said:

Uber are to take over as the city's official airport taxi operator. This should put paid to the rogue drivers who think nothing of quoting in excess of 1500CzK for the trip to the city centre. With Uber it should be around 350-400CzK.

However, the usual advice (and I'll be doing this myself when I go back in a couple of weeks), if you only have cabin baggage use the bus/metro for 40CzK. I'd only use the Uber if you have a load of bulky luggage.

If anyone is going and is over 60 the travel tickets are half price. 

The transport system is so well run and easily affordable. Roughly under £5 for a 24 hour ticket and under £2.50 if you are over 60. 

6 minutes ago, paul wright scores said:

If anyone is going and is over 60 the travel tickets are half price. 

The transport system is so well run and easily affordable. Roughly under £5 for a 24 hour ticket and under £2.50 if you are over 60. 

Correct and if you are 65 and over it is free. Just show your passport or driving licence if asked.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just back from 3 nights.

Loads of changes from when I was there last 3 years ago.

A lot more ticket inspectors on the trams and metro. I mean, it didn't affect us as we'd bought  a 72 hour pass but there was one on the metro carriage who didn't get near us because of the number of fines he was issuing!

Cheapest beer was 43CzK (U Glaubicu) but most were high 50s-low 60s. No more pints for a quid.

Several restaurants, eg U Medvidku, where, upon getting the bill, the staff point to a wee bit at the bottom suggesting a gratuity of 10%.

11 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

I'm just back from 3 nights.

Loads of changes from when I was there last 3 years ago.

A lot more ticket inspectors on the trams and metro. I mean, it didn't affect us as we'd bought  a 72 hour pass but there was one on the metro carriage who didn't get near us because of the number of fines he was issuing!

Cheapest beer was 43CzK (U Glaubicu) but most were high 50s-low 60s. No more pints for a quid.

Several restaurants, eg U Medvidku, where, upon getting the bill, the staff point to a wee bit at the bottom suggesting a gratuity of 10%.

There is a pub in Kutna Hora that sells .5L Kozel for 19kc. 
it’s not a nice pub though.

Anything in Prague 1 will be pricey, over the river is slightly cheaper. 

26 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

There is a pub in Kutna Hora that sells .5L Kozel for 19kc. 
it’s not a nice pub though.

Anything in Prague 1 will be pricey, over the river is slightly cheaper. 

True, we were staying in Prague 2 near Namesti Miru and there it was 57 for a .5l (U Brezance).

All 3 of us have Revolut and used the ATMs of ČSOB, KB and Fio with no charges but one of my mates took 500 from Česka Sporitelna and when he looked at the receipt he'd been charged a total of 669!!!

Robbing b*****ds.

9 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

True, we were staying in Prague 2 near Namesti Miru and there it was 57 for a .5l (U Brezance).

All 3 of us have Revolut and used the ATMs of ČSOB, KB and Fio with no charges but one of my mates took 500 from Česka Sporitelna and when he looked at the receipt he'd been charged a total of 669!!!

Robbing b*****ds.

The Ceska banks offer converted and non-converted options, me may have accepted the converted amount which robs you blind.

when I first moved out, my Clydesdale card wouldn’t let me use the converted option, if someone was going to rip me off, it was going to be them. 

25 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

The Ceska banks offer converted and non-converted options, me may have accepted the converted amount which robs you blind.

when I first moved out, my Clydesdale card wouldn’t let me use the converted option, if someone was going to rip me off, it was going to be them. 

We had all converted our sterling  balances to koruna so the conversion option never appeared. 

• 1 year later...

Proposed ban on outrageous costumes in Prague city centre

https://praguemorning.cz/prague-1-wants-to-ban-outrageous-costumes/

They could jut announce a ban on c***s. 

Every weekend I would see half a dozen folk dressed in a Borat mankini or a Pamela Anderson Baywatch outfit with fake pubes out the side. It wasn't funny or original and as unworkable the ban would be, I'd be 100% behind it. 

The only time I thought, fair play was a stag do of maybe 10 guys, 9 were dressed as pilots, complete with Aviator sunglasses and flight cases, the groom was dressed as an air stewardess. I'd gladly have booted every one of them in the groin though. 

34 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Thankfully the times ive been to Prague were during the winter when these c***s were not around.

FIrst time, Mrs Mullarkey went full Soviet era and booked in here for a few days.  

Photo

I know a lassie that used to work there, Vidal Sassoon stayed there once and he had in IPhone with a separate handset like an old house phone attached to it. 
She works at the Carlo IV now, no info on eccentric hair stylists phones for a while.