Prague

Kryptonite

On 13/09/2018 at 22:04, virginton said:

Has anyone visited the Vinohradský pivovar? It got mentioned in the Guardian this week as part of a typical click piece on good places to have a beer abroad; it's the first that the place has come to my attention. I'll be visiting Prague over the Christmas period and wouldn't mind visiting somewhere different alongside the likes of U Sudu and U Slovanské Lipy.

Planning a trip to Krakow in the summer, I read through the Krakow v Prague thread and then reminisced through this thread and just saw your post...hence the lateness of the reply.

I went to Vinohradský Pivovar in January last year. Despite being a solo diner on a Monday night they hummed and hawed because I didn't have a reservation (the place was far from full, they seated me downstairs beside the kitchen).

The house beer was good, I had the 11°. It's unfiltered hence the cloudy appearance.

20200120_185545.thumb.jpg.bc71cd10ab2fefa896c9f82061d07bce.jpg

Edited by Arch Stanton

The Honest Guide YouTube videos are being deleted tomorrow due to the presenter going freelance and his former employer claiming ownership.
Download them while you can.
That's a shame. I watched a lot of his videos before I visited Prague after someone in this thread recommended them.

I was genuinely excited when I was there and clocked some of the crooked shops and ATMs from his videos. [emoji38]

1 hour ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

That's a shame. I watched a lot of his videos before I visited Prague after someone in this thread recommended them.

I was genuinely excited when I was there and clocked some of the crooked shops and ATMs from his videos. emoji38.png

When I was there in January last year I stayed in a flat in Rumunska just round from IP Pavlova. This ATM was beside the entrance to the tenement.

20200123_151506.thumb.jpg.c8869ef3e60247ee15eac15c23a59f71.jpg20200123_151514.thumb.jpg.a43987c6791df9fafac9772d5b59aaea.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Prague 1 is all of the city centre. Whether you're in the Old Town or the New Town depends on the address but there's no real *bad* area to be in. 

I'd prefer to be a fair bit away from Wenceslas and Old Town Square for a bit more peace (and value) but that's preference only. Unless there are mobility issues everything in Prague 1 is easily in reach. 

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

Prague 1 is all of the city centre. Whether you're in the Old Town or the New Town depends on the address but there's no real *bad* area to be in. 

I'd prefer to be a fair bit away from Wenceslas and Old Town Square for a bit more peace (and value) but that's preference only. Unless there are mobility issues everything in Prague 1 is easily in reach. 

Cheers virginton. Looking at the map it looks like it’s across the water from the old town 

Edited by NathanDrake88

11 minutes ago, NathanDrake88 said:

Cheers badger. Should we get a taxi from the airport to the hotel or public transport?

I would avoid taxis altogether for your trip, they can be a rip off. Use Uber if you need a car during your stay. 

The bus stop is located directly outside the airport arrivals terminal & will take you to a metro stop in about 20 minutes. Your destination for this hotel is 'Malostranska' metro station, a 10/15 minute journey. Once you exit Malostranska station, look uphill to to left & you'll see the Hoffmeister. 

9 hours ago, virginton said:

Last time I got either a free or very cheap airport taxi (through Booking.com IIRC), so I'd look out for that as well. 

Going back over in February, 60th birthday present from Mrs. cT. Going to Plzen and maybe Sparta v Liberec, Bohemians not at home unfortunately.

On 31/12/2022 at 12:53, badgerthewitness said:

I would avoid taxis altogether for your trip, they can be a rip off. Use Uber if you need a car during your stay. 

The bus stop is located directly outside the airport arrivals terminal & will take you to a metro stop in about 20 minutes. Your destination for this hotel is 'Malostranska' metro station, a 10/15 minute journey. Once you exit Malostranska station, look uphill to to left & you'll see the Hoffmeister. 

That's very handy, as i'm off there on Sunday afternoon for 4 nights.

Uber are to take over as the city's official airport taxi operator. This should put paid to the rogue drivers who think nothing of quoting in excess of 1500CzK for the trip to the city centre. With Uber it should be around 350-400CzK.

However, the usual advice (and I'll be doing this myself when I go back in a couple of weeks), if you only have cabin baggage use the bus/metro for 40CzK. I'd only use the Uber if you have a load of bulky luggage.

On 01/01/2023 at 02:48, centralTon said:

Going back over in February, 60th birthday present from Mrs. cT. Going to Plzen and maybe Sparta v Liberec, Bohemians not at home unfortunately.

I'm going over myself in April. Planning on doing a day trip back to Plzen (first visit since 2014) and a trip to the Svijany brewery well north-east of Prague.

I'd like to catch a Friday night or possibly a Saturday game before flying back from Berlin on the Sunday. The Prague derby is that weekend but Bohemians game or Jablonec v Liberec (a Port Glasgow v Greenock affair) are more realistic options.