Prague

Kryptonite

3 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I was in Prague last year and this was also my experience.  People in central Europe are usually a bit more serious than we are, but I found the Czechs really unfriendly.  Prague is a beautiful city, but the people certainly don't entice me to go back.

I have been in Prague 11 times, first time in 2003. They were really friendly back then and were delighted that people were going to their city, last time I was there 2 years ago, they couldn't be arsed with us. Still love going though.

I've also been 11 times, first in 1994.

A lot of changes in that time. I was there 8 or 9 weeks ago, on my own and stayed in the IP Pavlova area.

The old cliche about leaning a bit of the language was never truer and the people I spoke to in pubs, restaurants, train station etc were friendly enough.

To both of the replyers, I've never been there on a stag do, only been there with my wife, 2 kids once and other couples 3 times. Got pished with my misses and another Morton fan  one fine day, but that was out in Zizkov, I think?

Edited by centralTon
virginton changed to virginton

Wen I first went out to Prague not long after the split with Slovakia, I spoke to someone I was working with about the end of Communism and how the country had changed since. He said that since the revolution they have started an evolution. 

At the time I thought this was a bit of a wanky thing to say but it has made more sense over the years. The Czech people I worked with all talked the country down, they thought the whole independence project would end ultimately in failure and the Russians would be back in one form or another.   

I get the impression that over the last 5 years they have become more proud of their country and what it has become and less attracted to being attached to a superpower again. 

I have always found Czech folk to be mostly pleasant (more so Slovaks) But they seem to have more volatile people than the UK. 

From what I saw of foreigners in CZ, they seemed to have an opinion that Czech folk were all skint and were desperate for their cash and treated them almost like slaves. Some tourists, mostly English, Russian and American were the most arrogant b*****ds on earth.

One of my Czech friends worked in an Irish bar and would be offered a move to the UK on a daily basis from someone on a stag party. Because a life living with a plumber from Dagenham would obviously be better than the one she currently has. 

• 3 weeks later...

Another honest guide video of the current situation in Prague, All of the tourist shops have closed, anyone who has visited the city will recognise the arcade by the Charles Bridge. 

Restaurants in the old town square are charging local prices for food and beer and have even added Kc prices to menus. 

They also give a detailed plan of when restrictions will be lifted, As I haven't been able to visit my girlfriend in 6 weeks, this comes as little consolation as the UK government seems hell bent on making an arse of the situation, meaning UK citizens will be unwelcome  for some time. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/04/2020 at 21:16, diegomarahenry said:

Another honest guide video of the current situation in Prague, All of the tourist shops have closed, anyone who has visited the city will recognise the arcade by the Charles Bridge. 

Restaurants in the old town square are charging local prices for food and beer and have even added Kc prices to menus. 

They also give a detailed plan of when restrictions will be lifted, As I haven't been able to visit my girlfriend in 6 weeks, this comes as little consolation as the UK government seems hell bent on making an arse of the situation, meaning UK citizens will be unwelcome  for some time. 

interesting stuff,wonder how those reopening dates towards the end of the video are looking now

• 3 months later...

I was there in early July, it was remarkably quiet in the main tourist areas compared to usual - which is a very good thing indeed - but most places were open and functioning pretty much as normal. Face coverings were only required on the Prague metro at that time but I'm sure I read that the rules for those have tightened again in recent days. I don't think that the government ever made a big issue about payment type so cash is still the most common way to pay - I certainly wouldn't count on card use to be accepted just about anywhere like it has become here in the past six months. 

Edit: The European Commission has put together a decent resource (and app) for travelling to various EU countries - it's normally quickly updated with new government announcements so is the best place to find out about any requirements/restrictions in English:

https://reopen.europa.eu/

Edited by vikingTON

I was there at the end of January just before things started to get serious. I used a Revolut contactless card pretty much everywhere, sandwich shops, train to Plzen, brewery tour, just beer, beer and food, even on a tram. The only places which didn't take cards was a Jidelna (a type of canteen primarily used by locals) and pubs which didn't serve food such as Chapeau Rouge.

23 minutes ago, virginton said:

I was there in early July, it was remarkably quiet in the main tourist areas compared to usual - which is a very good thing indeed - but most places were open and functioning pretty much as normal. Face coverings were only required on the Prague metro at that time but I'm sure I read that the rules for those have tightened again in recent days. I don't think that the government ever made a big issue about payment type so cash is still the most common way to pay - I certainly wouldn't count on card use to be accepted just about anywhere like it has become here in the past six months. 

Edit: The European Commission has put together a decent resource (and app) for travelling to various EU countries - it's normally quickly updated with new government announcements so is the best place to find out about any requirements/restrictions in English:

https://reopen.europa.eu/

I believe face coverings are now mandatory until March 2021 in the usual settings. 

As per the Guardian today:

The Czech government was among the first in Europe to introduce curbs on movement and business as the outbreak took hold. It began to lift restrictions since May but has reintroduced some measures as cases rose in recent weeks.

Face masks will once more be compulsory on public transport, at health and social care facilities and in state office buildings from 1 September, but the government rowed back on a requirement to wear masks in shops, restaurants and common areas of schools.

Outdoor public events including soccer, which starts new league season this week, may be attended by up to 5,000 people, if separated into sections of 1,000, and indoor events can host up to 5,000 in separate sections of 500. The government plans to further relax restrictions on public events from September.

Czech Republic is in a strange situation just now, a mostly liberal country since the velvet revolution and Vaclav Havel, now has a basket case Russophile president and a media mogul and former member of the communist party as prime minister. Babis, would you believe, has stoked hatred about immigrants entering the Czech Republic.  

With all other right leaning governments seemingly making a total arse of this pandemic, it was amazing that the Czech government handled it so well, especially when you consider where it is.  Looks like there was only a time delay.  

The right populists of the Eastern Bloc are much more willing to close themselves off than the neoliberal right in the UK, US or even the centrists of Western Europe, which I think explains why Czechia/Slovakia/Hungary locked down and closed their borders to great effect once the first few cases hit in March. They also seem willing to place real health experts in positions of authority as opposed to the publicity-friendly gobshites like Chris Whitty and Jason Leitch who have headed up the UK's clown running across a minefield approach.

What I find surprising is that while the number of daily cases is a bit higher now than it was at the start of July when the coal-mining regions in the north-east were under special restrictions, the government states that there is no community transmission anywhere in the country right now. Unless they're just catching a lot of people coming back from Croatia with their testing regime that doesn't make too much sense but I wouldn't be surprised to see them shut down a few borders again in the autumn just to be on the safe side. 

Edited by vikingTON

Babis overturned the Health ministry's decision to re-introduce masks from the 1st September. Apparently the list of exceptions didn't make sense. Most of the cases are out of Prague.   

https://news.expats.cz/weekly-czech-news/breaking-czech-pm-nixes-face-mask-regulations-established-by-health-ministry-yesterday/

• 1 month later...

Another victory in the City's fight against the tackier side of Prague. Beer bike tours have now been banned from Prague. Why anyone would pay 400 Euro's to cycle round Prague drinking beer and being hated by locals is beyond me.

https://www.seznamzpravy.cz/clanek/nejvyssi-spravni-soud-se-zastal-prahy-pivni-kola-smi-z-centra-vyhnat-125283

• 4 months later...

The pandemic will probably mean that Prague will be a different place when it emerges. A lot of the tourist reliant establishments have obviously suffered badly.

Havels Market, the market that sold touristy crap between Wenceslas Square and the old town square has closed after almost 800 years. Most of the grocery stores that sold over inflated products on the main tourist routes have also closed. 

Most bars and restaurants have dropped beer prices in the centre to attract locals for takeaway food. 

It has came along way from its city of sin reputation from 15 years ago, most of the strip clubs have closed, most of the billboards are for beer companies now rather than Darlings or the Sexy Sauna club. Hopefully the scores of reps will not return. 

Saying that, the court has just overturned the ban on beer bikes in the city centre. Hopefully they wont do the same with Segways. 

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

The pandemic will probably mean that Prague will be a different place when it emerges. A lot of the tourist reliant establishments have obviously suffered badly.

Havels Market, the market that sold touristy crap between Wenceslas Square and the old town square has closed after almost 800 years. Most of the grocery stores that sold over inflated products on the main tourist routes have also closed. 

Most bars and restaurants have dropped beer prices in the centre to attract locals for takeaway food. 

It has came along way from its city of sin reputation from 15 years ago, most of the strip clubs have closed, most of the billboards are for beer companies now rather than Darlings or the Sexy Sauna club. Hopefully the scores of reps will not return. 

Saying that, the court has just overturned the ban on beer bikes in the city centre. Hopefully they wont do the same with Segways. 

Hopefully the next time I go back it will be more like the first time I went 18 years ago, got gradually more touristy year on year.