Prague

Kryptonite

• 4 weeks later...

So despite making an arse of it in my previous post, the Czech league does a split at the end of the season, and there actually will be a couple of games a week today when I'm over there. Sparta Prague vs Ostrava in the top 6 and a Prague derby, Dukla vs Bohemians, in the bottom 6 fighting against relegation. Quite tempted by the Dukla game given it's a local rivalry. Both stadiums are also very close to each other so potentially looking at a double header... 

16 hours ago, Dave said:

So despite making an arse of it in my previous post, the Czech league does a split at the end of the season, and there actually will be a couple of games a week today when I'm over there. Sparta Prague vs Ostrava in the top 6 and a Prague derby, Dukla vs Bohemians, in the bottom 6 fighting against relegation. Quite tempted by the Dukla game given it's a local rivalry. Both stadiums are also very close to each other so potentially looking at a double header... 

Been at Bohemians and Dukla separately but not sure how the ticketing/security will work for a derby, i.e. whether you will get in. Normal games, both have print at home, very cheap too, and always segregated. Dukla are poorly supported normally. Maybe somebody here can help.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting the tickets to both games was very easy, Dukla tickets through a site called smstickets and Sparta tickets through their website. Combined cost for both games was just over £15.

I really liked Dukla's stadium, a bit like Meadowbank with one big steep stand where everyone was located. There was terracing around the ground but no need for it to be used, as mentioned above they don't seem to get big crowds. Bohemians brought a good away support though and were singing throughout. Game finished 1-1 and it was a pretty poor game, although I thought Dukla deserved to win. Special mention to the pint & hotdog combo which was lovely and only cost about £2.

Sparta game got moved to the Saturday so didn't have to rush to the next stadium as I initially feared. We bought tickets for a section right down beside the Sparta ultras and I'm glad we did because the atmosphere there was excellent. Haven't been to a game with that kind of support before. There were tributes to Josef Sural throughout the 90 minutes which were excellently done, with a big tifo unveiled in the 23rd minute and obligatory pyro. Sparta won 3-0 and were dominant over Ostrava, only one team in it the whole game.  

The city itself is absolutely brilliant. The public transport system takes you anywhere you need to go with ease. On the last day the Prague marathon was on so public transport was restricted, so a few of us rented the Lime scooters that were all over the place and took a trip up to the castle which I would definitely recommend as well, cost about a tenner to have the scooter for 3 hours. 

Too many decent restaurants & bars to list, but avoid Harleys at all cost. It was round the corner from our hostel so we gave it a shot, but the place was creepy as f**k and the bar staff were dressed as basketball players and had also blacked up. Having now read a few online reviews on the place it seems that's just the tip of the iceberg. 

On 5/7/2019 at 11:32, Dave said:

Getting the tickets to both games was very easy, Dukla tickets through a site called smstickets and Sparta tickets through their website. Combined cost for both games was just over £15.

I really liked Dukla's stadium, a bit like Meadowbank with one big steep stand where everyone was located. There was terracing around the ground but no need for it to be used, as mentioned above they don't seem to get big crowds. Bohemians brought a good away support though and were singing throughout. Game finished 1-1 and it was a pretty poor game, although I thought Dukla deserved to win. Special mention to the pint & hotdog combo which was lovely and only cost about £2.

When I went last year I went to watch Dukla. Tremendous ground, despite the fact it really shouldn't be. I think the stand being so steep helped, had been a little more Hampden like in gradient you'd probably have felt too far from the game. Spent half the game looking at the view to the left, at the blocks of flats on the horizon. No idea why. They just seemed to be the most Eastern European thing I have ever seen. The beer at the game wasn't great, but as mentioned, very very cheap...

On 08/05/2019 at 14:25, Ross. said:

When I went last year I went to watch Dukla. Tremendous ground, despite the fact it really shouldn't be. I think the stand being so steep helped, had been a little more Hampden like in gradient you'd probably have felt too far from the game. Spent half the game looking at the view to the left, at the blocks of flats on the horizon. No idea why. They just seemed to be the most Eastern European thing I have ever seen. The beer at the game wasn't great, but as mentioned, very very cheap...

It’s weird coming into that stand and realising you’re already at the top of it :lol:

36 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

It’s weird coming into that stand and realising you’re already at the top of it :lol:

Having walked up the hill to get there in the first place, I was pretty fucking glad to be honest!

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

11 20ish year olds looking to get pished in Prague. Suggestions? Any other non-pished suggestions would be appreciated also.

Anyone been to a game over there? Is it easy to get tickets?

If you go to Sparta I can tell you where not to sit. :lol:

5 hours ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Aye it will be Sparta that we will be going to see. Where don't we sit then?

I would advise no sitting anywhere in the stand to the right, all the pyro will be above you and was aimlessly being chucked into there when I went :lol:

D50 & 49 we had tickets for and had to move because you can only see the goal at the far side, also someone had a big grog in their pint from above :wub:

generali_arena.jpg

On 23/07/2019 at 13:09, Chinatoon Bairn said:

11 20ish year olds looking to get pished in Prague. Suggestions? Any other non-pished suggestions would be appreciated also.

Go to Bohemians and get yourselves in with the Ultras

On 23/07/2019 at 13:09, Chinatoon Bairn said:

We went to Slavia last year when on my mates stag weekend and it was great.  Think it was pretty easy to get tickets, the best man sorted it all out.

Slavia's ground is great, got a few beers outside and some nice big sausages.

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

someone had a big grog in their pint from above :wub:

That's lovely that.

Just as well as I was meaning Slavia when I said Sparta. Cheers anyway

18 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Go to Bohemians and get yourselves in with the Ultras

Can't seem to find their fixtures anywhere.

14 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

We went to Slavia last year when on my mates stag weekend and it was great.  Think it was pretty easy to get tickets, the best man sorted it all out.

Slavia's ground is great, got a few beers outside and some nice big sausages.

Seen it's only a 15/20 minute walk from the old town, pretty easy to find I take it? 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone have any experience with the pub crawls or beer bikes? Ma pals adamant to do one of them.

Edited by Chinatoon Bairn

2 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Seen it's only a 15/20 minute walk from the old town, pretty easy to find I take it? 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone have any experience with the pub crawls or beer bikes? Ma pals adamant to do one of them.

We took the tram to the game.  Didn't take much time.  We stayed in the Zizkov area, just up from their stadium.  

Some of the guys on our stag did beer bikes and said it was a good laugh.

28 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

That's lovely that.

Sparta's Stadium is probably a 15 min walk up through Letna Park, but Slavia's is out in Prague 10 and takes about 15-20 mins by tram. Can't remember the tram number, but it was easy enough to get to, Bohemians Stadium is a couple of stops before Slavia on the same tram route.

1 hour ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

That's lovely that.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=6X44XfarHInCUuP2r5gH&q=bohemians+prague+fixtures&oq=bohemians+prague+fixtures&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0.186.6311..6378...3.0..4.265.2274.22j2j4......0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0i131j0i10j0i70i253j0i22i30.ChH5ikL6wSM&ved=0ahUKEwi2xJf09M3jAhUJoRQKHWP7C3MQ4dUDCAc&uact=5#sie=t;/m/03yg35;2;/m/07cgwz;mt;fp;1;;

I would suggest you just stoat about and go into pubs rather than a crawl or bike tbh.

Sparta's Stadium is probably a 15 min walk up through Letna Park, but Slavia's is out in Prague 10 and takes about 15-20 mins by tram. Can't remember the tram number, but it was easy enough to get to, Bohemians Stadium is a couple of stops before Slavia on the same tram route.

6 and 22

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

Cheers for the fixtures.

Aye that's more ma line of thinking, 22 quid for a 5 pub pub crawl over the space is 4 hours isn't really what I want to be doing haha.

Head to Žižkov and you'll stumble into a cracking and properly priced pub at every turn, quite literally by the end of the night. U Slovanské Lipy does some superb, traditional Czech dishes and good quality schnapps, as well as having an extensive list of smaller brewery beers (the roast duck, dumplings and walnut schnapps being my favourite).  

U Sudu would be my base for drinking in the city centre - it runs from drinking on the street outside through  multiple underground cellar bars, with a different layout and sometimes events going on in different levels. It's also open pretty much through the night and right next to the main tram stop for all night trams in the city (Vodičkova) so it's a good place to recognise.